kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

3 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

China still produces 2D animated movies and given the speed at which their market is growing they'll probably have a $1B grossing 2D animated movie in the next decades.

I'm skeptical that they will be popular with international audiences. Not even Studio Ghibli movies have come close to that mark.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm skeptical that they will be popular with international audiences. Not even Studio Ghibli movies have come close to that mark.

In 20 or 30 years, they won't need to be popular with international audiences to reach the $1B WW mark. 

14 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

China still produces 2D animated movies and given the speed at which their market is growing they'll probably have a $1B grossing 2D animated movie in the next decades.

Almost all big movies are released in 3D nowadays, in China.

11 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

In 20 or 30 years, they won't need to be popular with international audiences to reach the $1B WW mark. 

Well, that is a longass time. If their currency strengthens and movie attendance expands, then I agree that it's plausible.

BTW, why are you even bringing this up on this thread?

Edited by cannastop

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, that is a longass time. If their currency strengthens and movie attendance expands, then I agree that it's plausible.

BTW, why are you even bringing this up on this thread?

As an answer to the previous post about TLK saying that it would have been the only 2D animated movie to make a $1B forever.

But you're right, it's off-topic. ;)

Japan Opening Weekend: $4.0 - 4.3 million

Weekdays should be MUCH stronger and the hold exceptionally strong considering how well word of mouth is going around.  Japan is a leggy-market and considering the astonishingly crazy reception towards the film by not only industry persons but the general masses as well, Zootopia could very well increase by a more than respectable amount during it's second week, drop minimally during it's third weekend, and go on to achieve a 15 multiplier or higher.  Don't underestimate the power of the zoo! :D 

On 4/23/2016 at 6:46 AM, Cynosure said:

Yeah, the most likely scenario in Japan is a multiplier around 10 or 11 so a $50-55M total there for a WW total of $980-985M.

That may be a safe bet, but WDAS have had three movies with 15+ multipliers, almost all in a row, and those in Japan who have seen Zootopia so far seem very impressed indeed.  I'm normally pretty conservative, myself, but as tough as a 15+ multiplier is to achieve in general, there are signs pointing to this movie being well able to achieve it, and this should push it over the $1B WW mark.

On 4/25/2016 at 5:26 PM, cannastop said:

A few Japanese reviews on yahoo movies say that the movie is too intense for children.

I don't know why I keep seeing this.  To me, at least, Zootopia doesn't seem any more "intense" than usual for WDAS.

Or maybe people expect Disney to be more lighthearted.

They very often seem to, and there are always some complaints from parents who feel that anything from Disney should be completely "safe" for toddlers and infants, but I still wonder why there have been more than usual for Zootopia.

Edited by Melvin Frohike

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

Zootopia might already be at $1 billion if the Euro and Ruble didn't go to shit.

I calculated this earlier on Reddit. Using Frozen's exchange rates the movie would've earned an extra $87 million before this weekend in just Australia, UK, Eurozone countries, China and Russia alone.

• Like 1