kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

10 hours ago, Quigley said:

I think that number ($8.3M) might not include the Friday number from Japan. A bit confusing but we'll see tomorrow with actuals I guess.

UPDATE: Stupid me. Of course the number only includes Sat-Sun from Japan. 8.3 - 4.4 = 3.9 (using Deadline estimates). Zootopia made $3.9M from non-Japan OS markets, which means it dropped 52% from last weekend. Quite bad but I guess someone had to give up screens to accommodate for Civil War. With a perfect 24% drop in the US and Golden Week in Japan just started, I won't dismiss $1B yet, although the odds are not in its favor since it needs about $50-60M from Japan (I doubt $50M will be enough after this OS drop).

Germany dropped 50% because of extremely good weather. It was one of the bigger markets last weekend. Next weekend should see a good hold and maybe even an increase here ;) It's not over yet.

Shouldn't this weekend's results actually put more hope towards the $1 billion goal?

Remember the total of $956.4 is an estimate, that may go up with actuals.

Assuming it may be $957 with actuals.

Domestic: $8-$9 million

Japan: $15 million (possible more)

Turkey: $3 million

That would bring the total to around $994 million.

Thats extremely close to $1 billion that no movie in history has stalled on; either Disney would be compelled to fudge the movie to $1 billion, or Japan (or somewhere else) hopefully could pull in another $6 million to reach a $1 billion.

Doesn't it still have a decent shot? Or am I over-estimating on these predictions?

1 minute ago, Quigley said:

I hope so

I'm the last one who should be saying this, but we shouldn't look at this so direly. Even if it stops at $990M, Zootopia is undoubtedly a success, and a sequel is going to come out eventually, even if it takes 10 years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

I'm the last one who should be saying this, but we shouldn't look at this so direly. Even if it stops at $990M, Zootopia is undoubtedly a success, and a sequel is going to come out eventually, even if it takes 10 years.

Don't worry, it won't stop in 990s. Disney will do everything to take it over 1B. ;)

• Like 1