kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

Unless Zootopia exceeds expectations in Japan greatly, it will fall short of $1 billion.

BTW, Zootopia currently has a 4.48/5 on Yahoo Movies Japan with 101 votes.

Big Hero 6 has 4.15/5 with 2,483 votes.

Edited by cannastop

On 4/11/2016 at 7:06 PM, Olive said:

Frozen was heavily marketed in Japan, marketing budget probably more than $30M...It was bound to succeed.

Bound to succeed, perhaps (as an original foreign animated feature in Japan? :blink:), but succeed the way that it did, no way!

On 4/11/2016 at 2:11 AM, Mojoguy said:

I don't see why Zootopia can't make what Big Hero 6 made in Japan ($76m).

That's a lot of money for Japan at the current exchange rate, and these two movies may be perceived rather differently.  I'm not saying that it can't gross more, I'm just saying that whatever made Big Hero 6 gross so much (and with such a huge multiplier) may not apply to Zootopia--what the latter does it will do on its own (Disney/WDAS branding aside).

On 4/18/2016 at 7:51 AM, Aristis said:

In Germany Zoo managed to increase despite the Opening of JB. Where drops in other countries that bad?

The drop in NA (43%), for one, wouldn't be bad for most movies, but it was for an exceptionally leggy one like Zootopia.  I'm usually one to downplay the effects of competition ("cannibalization"), but in this case I think it was pretty clear that The Jungle Book impacted every other movie (except for BvS, which would have dropped like a stone anyway :P).

On 4/20/2016 at 0:18 PM, Arlo245 said:

Also Big Hero 6 did so well in Japan and China and with how well Zoo did in China, it would make sense that it'd do gangbusters in other east Asian countries like South Korea and soon hopefully Japan

These are three very different cultures, so in general I think that very little can be taken for granted.  For example, there have been many western animated features that performed well in either Japan (usually Pixar or WDAS) or South Korea (usually DreamWorks), but not both, and based on a more limited set of data, the same seems to apply to China.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, leatherjacket said:

Now ZOO stands at 890M WW. To add on its run 27 DOM + 33 WW (without Japan) = 960m

Needs only 40M from Japan to cross 1B

1B is locked unless the Japan bioxoffice comes short of 40M.

It is not likely to earn more than $15M after this weekend. 

But Japan could over-perform so ...

8 hours ago, zackzack said:

It is not likely to earn more than $15M after this weekend. 

But Japan could over-perform so ...

I'm going to have to disagree strongly. Zootopia doesn't have direct competition until Angry Birds on May 20.

And maybe Ratchet and Clank, but that movie is going to flop hard.

Edited by cannastop

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

I'm going to have to disagree strongly. Zootopia doesn't have direct competition until Angry Birds on May 20.

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

When I said $15M it is domestic, not global.

Say what you will about live-action vs animation but Alice 1 is around the corner.

Edited by zackzack

2 hours ago, zackzack said:

When I said $15M it is domestic, not global.

Say what you will about live-action vs animation but Alice 1 is around the corner.

And I'm saying that it will make more than that.

And Alice 2 is more than a month away.

http://movies.yahoo.co.jp/movie/354239/

Japanese audiences seem to be reacting to this movie in a similar way as all audiences.

"Surpringly adult."

"Too scary for children."

"Better than Frozen!"

"I love the bunny!"

"Nick is handsome."

Also, the average of 4.48/5 with 161 votes is higher than Big Hero 6's average, and it's higher than its main competition, the latest Detective Conan movie. One of the reviewers even mentioned Conan in the review.