kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The Ruble is shit mainly because of Vladimir Putin's horrible decisions. How much money Zootopia can make is a trifling concern compared to what Russia is facing right now.

Certianly.  From Western sanctions induced by Crimea to military spending in Syria to radically dropping oil prices, Russia is in a heck of a bind.  Even Saudi Arabia is atttempting to diversify its economic output from oil alone.

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

Plus $318.5M in the US/Can = $916M WW. Getting there!

I think OS-Japan can add $16 million and domestic can add $20 million which would require a $54 million total in Japan (It's already done $6 million) which is possible but not likely. I think a $45 million total in Japan is likely. If domestic can push $343.5 million ($25 million to go) and OS-Japan can pull in $20 million, I'd say $1 billion is likely. But obviously that OS-Japan number probably won't happen....anyways we'll see :lol:  

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

The Ruble is shit mainly because of Vladimir Putin's horrible decisions. How much money Zootopia can make is a trifling concern compared to what Russia is facing right now.

Hmmm... box-office discussion became not-so-box-office discussion. I doubt it has to do with anything Putin has done though. There's a clear correlation between dropping ruble prices and dropping oil prices.

On 2016-04-10 at 4:26 PM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

1 hour ago, Arlo245 said:

I think OS-Japan can add $16 million and domestic can add $20 million which would require a $54 million total in Japan (It's already done $6 million) which is possible but not likely. I think a $45 million total in Japan is likely. If domestic can push $343.5 million ($25 million to go) and OS-Japan can pull in $20 million, I'd say $1 billion is likely. But obviously that OS-Japan number probably won't happen....anyways we'll see :lol:  

Even if this doesn't hit the billion we all should be happy bout one thing at least: it's the first movie since Hobbit 3 that makes between 900$ and 1B$. 900m<x>1 Billion-movies are rare these days. In 2015 we got none. In 2014 we got one. In 2013 we got two. And in 2012 we got none.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Quigley said:

Hmmm... box-office discussion became not-so-box-office discussion. I doubt it has to do with anything Putin has done though. There's a clear correlation between dropping ruble prices and dropping oil prices.

The ruble also dropped after economic sanctions.

Generally speaking the US dollar has strengthened against most currencies in the past couple years. For some currencies there are more specific reasons such as low oil prices, but it's also because the US economy has been outperforming all other developed countries.

@LMAbacus did an analysis on reddit that calculated an extra $84 million for Zootopia at 2013 exchange rates, as of about 1 week ago.

Nevertheless, I don't think Zootopia reaching $1B at past exchange rates is going to satisfy many of us.

Zootopia continued to have an overseas presence this weekend with an estimated $8.3 million from 40 territories.  That brings the film’s overseas total to $607.9 million and global cume to a massive $931.4 million.  Domestically, Zootopia placed in sixth this weekend with an estimated $5.01 million and has grossed $323.52 million to date.

Source: BoxOffice.com

How much is from Japan?

17 minutes ago, PanaMovie said:

Zootopia continued to have an overseas presence this weekend with an estimated $8.3 million from 40 territories.  That brings the film’s overseas total to $607.9 million and global cume to a massive $931.4 million.  Domestically, Zootopia placed in sixth this weekend with an estimated $5.01 million and has grossed $323.52 million to date.

Source: BoxOffice.com

How much is from Japan?

$7.4 million. OS-Japan brought a discouraging $0.9 million. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PanaMovie said:

Zootopia continued to have an overseas presence this weekend with an estimated $8.3 million from 40 territories.  That brings the film’s overseas total to $607.9 million

Something's not adding up. The OS total as of Thursday was $597.5M, which would suggest that the weekend brought in $10.4M?

On 4/30/2016 at 0:09 PM, Jason said:

Generally speaking the US dollar has strengthened against most currencies in the past couple years. For some currencies there are more specific reasons such as low oil prices, but it's also because the US economy has been outperforming all other developed countries.

A lot of this is due to the US, it seems--a currently relatively strong economy, decreased dependence on imports, and increased oil and energy production (much of it being the result of the controversial "fracking" technology).  As for Russia specifically, the whole sanctions thing was brought on by Putin, and that hurts, but the oil price thing quite possibly hurts even more.  He's probably not the greatest fan of the US at the moment, and I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow took all of this personally.  I wouldn't be too surprised, either, if he were the pilot who has been buzzing US Navy vessels at a 30' distance...and that he does it while being shirtless. :lol:;)

On 4/30/2016 at 0:09 PM, Jason said:

@LMAbacus did an analysis on reddit that calculated an extra $84 million for Zootopia at 2013 exchange rates, as of about 1 week ago.

Nevertheless, I don't think Zootopia reaching $1B at past exchange rates is going to satisfy many of us.

Yeah, "Coulda shoulda woulda :bash:" has always been a pretty poor substitute for "Did it! :bop:"

3 hours ago, Arlo245 said:

If Friday isn't included in Japan's weekend gross (since a box office weekend in Japan is only Saturday-Sunday anyway), then it's not nearly as discouraging.

So, 10.4m over the weekend OS.

7.4m from Japan

About 0.5m from SK

About 0.8m from Germany

About 0.8m from UK?

HK still has some revenue.

10.4m seems to make more sense than 8.3.

Or just wait for Monday, when they will report the actual numbers.

3 hours ago, Arlo245 said:

No you are wrong, ZOO managed to have 4.3M from OS (except Japan) from 04/25 to 05/01, thats almost 3M for the weekend. Next weekend is holidays in Germany + Turkey still not open yet. It need only 50M total from Japan to hit 1B mark. It is doable for sure.

I think that number ($8.3M) might not include the Friday number from Japan. A bit confusing but we'll see tomorrow with actuals I guess.

UPDATE: Stupid me. Of course the number only includes Sat-Sun from Japan. 8.3 - 4.4 = 3.9 (using Deadline estimates). Zootopia made $3.9M from non-Japan OS markets, which means it dropped 52% from last weekend. Quite bad but I guess someone had to give up screens to accommodate for Civil War. With a perfect 24% drop in the US and Golden Week in Japan just started, I won't dismiss $1B yet, although the odds are not in its favor since it needs about $50-60M from Japan (I doubt $50M will be enough after this OS drop).

Edited by Quigley
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, leatherjacket said:

No you are wrong, ZOO managed to have 4.3M from OS (except Japan) from 04/25 to 05/01, thats almost 3M for the weekend. Next weekend is holidays in Germany + Turkey still not open yet. It need only 50M total from Japan to hit 1B mark. It is doable for sure.

I didn't know Japan's Friday wasn't included and I actually considered it might not have been but I didn't want to disappoint myself so I figured Cap 3 affected the movie more than I thought and that it ended its run in some places. Sorry for my wrongness haha but almost $3 million for the weekend makes me happy to be wrong anyways :lol:

Edited by Arlo245