druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

8 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

avatar_star_wars_the_force_awakens.png

Let's see, Australia should be good for right around $100 million. Brazil will probably end up about $40 million. Who knows about China, could be $150 million to $300 million but for now lets say $200 million. France might hit $100 million, Germany about $110 million. Italy should get to $40 million. Japan is a slow burn but I wouldn't put it above $80 million at this point. Russia is gonna be a big fall, $40 million max. South Korea will be huge as well, another $40 million location. Spain should get to $50 million. The UK is on track for $200 million which would be great. 

So of these locations, I'm thinking the final tally will be about $1 billion compared to Avatar's $1.44 billion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Why are people so dense about this?  Did Titanic or TPM have to deal with Netflix?  Smart Phones? Instant access to pirated copies of the movie? HDTV?

Every era has different advantages and disadvantages.  Everyone is so impressed by Gone With The Wind and the ticket sales, but it has literally nothing else to compete with.  No tv, internet, HD Sports, streaming, travel options, etc...  A few select radio stations and books were the competition, so of course it had massive sales.  

The reality is there is no fair way to compare each era, but it is fun either way.  

I do think thats somewhat over stated. People now have more disposable money than ever, despite claims that the economy is poor. How many people are REALLY reject going to the cinema for an event movie like this over watching something on Netflix that they could just watch at any time? There are also no decent pirate copies of TFA out there.

People also had less time for such things due to a lack of labour saving gadgets in the past.

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

It has nothing to do with 'lies' if you pick a mosaic stone and try to conclude out of it the complete picture, or better said 2 different pictures.

yes, the USA has a bigger population, but still the per year ticket sales is declining since a long time

Since 1999 were major changes in HV, media-able technology including 5.7" mobiles, other additional interests cinema has to compete to (like games) and tons of other details needed to include for a true comparison

According to my last link in 1980 TESB sold 98 million, in 1983 Return... sold 94 million, in 1980 there was 1,022 bln ticktets sold, in 1982 almost 1,2 bln in 2015 1.3 bln (so far). So you have a right that since TPM ticket sale is declining, but in 80s was even lower. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If your definition of a massive blockbuster includes 3D and PLF juiced movies like Avengers and Jurassic WORLD, you're dead wrong.

If your definition of a massive blockbuster is Phantom Menace/Jurassic PARK and above (Titanic, Jaws, etc) then yeah TDK is much smaller. Force Awakens is going to join the truly massive club pretty soon. 

Drag ha delusion blind ass.

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Let's see, Australia should be good for right around $100 million. Brazil will probably end up about $40 million. Who knows about China, could be $150 million to $300 million but for now lets say $200 million. France might hit $100 million, Germany about $110 million. Italy should get to $40 million. Japan is a slow burn but I wouldn't put it above $80 million at this point. Russia is gonna be a big fall, $40 million max. South Korea will be huge as well, another $40 million location. Spain should get to $50 million. The UK is on track for $200 million which would be great. 

So of these locations, I'm thinking the final tally will be about $1 billion compared to Avatar's $1.44 billion.

Germany = not sure, big minus percentages, but as partly cinemas were closed... very difficult to say for now, ask in the Germany/Austria thread

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Germany = not sure, big minus percentages, but as partly cinemas were closed... very difficult to say for now, ask in the Germany/Austria thread

I don't know a lot about overseas markets I just tried to use other big movies as references and such. I may have been optimistic overall by $100 million or so total. Still, $900 million from just those markets would be great. 

• Like 2

Although it's not perfect, the best comparison to TFA's domestic run so far is most definitely Avatar.  The LOTR films dropped off way faster than this behemoth during the holiday frame.  If you look at TFA's drops and bumps (minus previews), it looks a LOT like Avatar, just a bit weaker.  It obviously won't match Avatar's x10 multiplier, but x4 has to be just about locked at this point, and x5 is a strong possibility.

I'm beginning to think TFA gets to about $1.15B domestically.  This movie is playing well to all ages and genders, is extremely well received, and has no competition for the entire winter.  Kids also love it, and that can carry a film for a LOOONG time.

Internationally, I think it matches its domestic haul, or comes up a hair short (minus China).  China's a wild card, though.  If it adds $200M, I think we're looking at an OS take of about $1.3B, and a WW haul of $2.4B to $2.5B.  

In short, Titanic is toast, and Avatar is fortunate the exchange rates have turned on their heads over the past five years. (Though if Avatar released in this sort of market, China probably would have carried it to $2.7B anyway)

• Like 2

When TFA finishes its run and we get 2015 US GDP estimates we can compare the gross as a % of GDP (TPM was .00446, Titanic was .00662).  FWIW $1B gross for TFA with a ~19T GDP would be between the two.  1.2B gross would be Titanic level.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

It's gonna handily pass TPM in estimated ticket sales and come within 10% or so of a 1970s blockbuster. That's extraordinary. 

Just don't forget how many people lived in usa in 80s and how many lives now...

18 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Why are people so dense about this?  Did Titanic or TPM have to deal with Netflix?  Smart Phones? Instant access to pirated copies of the movie? HDTV?

Every era has different advantages and disadvantages.  Everyone is so impressed by Gone With The Wind and the ticket sales, but it has literally nothing else to compete with.  No tv, internet, HD Sports, streaming, travel options, etc...  A few select radio stations and books were the competition, so of course it had massive sales.  

The reality is there is no fair way to compare each era, but it is fun either way.  

Are these copies you speak of high quality? If so I'm going to need one so I can verify this is true:P

5 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

I do think thats somewhat over stated. People now have more disposable money than ever, despite claims that the economy is poor. How many people are REALLY reject going to the cinema for an event movie like this over watching something on Netflix that they could just watch at any time? There are also no decent pirate copies of TFA out there.

People also had less time for such things due to a lack of labour saving gadgets in the past.

Arrgh, they had no other possibility at first to SEE e.g. news (early times), incl no real interest into partying during alcohol forbidden... beside at that time the US had less than 1/2 of todays population it sold tons of more tickets during depression...

since then less and less, TV at home, don, than VHS..., recogniseable down, .....

Go study the yearly released MPPA reports, learn how each year the tickets sales decline since a very long time. There were exception years, were the downhill got slowed don a bit.

I am running a school library and teach media related subjects = are you aware about mid teens nowadays OFTEN never in their life having even watched a movie in a cinema?

Times change, in the past e.g. young people wanted way more often a car, .... nowadays often young people do not even want to spend money for a car / driver license / insurance, they prefer to spent it for new pc's/mobiles/apps/games/.... clothes too (see reactions via social media) and and and

Lots of older poeple (not old) do not want to go to a cinema together with louder young ones (including mobile using ones), bought hich quality home cinema systems... If you read through a few of the threads here, how often a member told about relatives not having visited a cinema since literally decades, only to learn they leave for the first time since..... the house for SW 7 (formulation shortened, you'll get the drift, see signature)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

Jusdesertt forget how many people lived  usa in 80s and how many lives  now...

While were at it lets not forget that the sun was much brighter in the 70s and there were more corderoy pants being worn and dont forget deaert Boots were big. Also typewriters were cool then too.

All meaningless and arbitrary statements, just like yours. 

• Like 5