baumer

Star Wars TFA Tuesday Actual: 29.5M !!! (-6%)

Just now, Daxtreme said:

intl 5% hold, holy shit. Someone on reddit said that monday was an anomaly, probably. Well, no, it wasn't!

I think OS Monday and Tuesday are a bit difficult to interpret without knowing for sure the per country split up as 'Cheap' Tuesday is in some regions cheap Monday, a few have both or Tuesday too or no cheap day... And in which country there are public holidays or school holdays (often enough even differing within the countries)

Theater Averages: Revenant Arrives with a Lively Debut of $118,640

Star Wars: The Force Awakens up to around £78m at end of play Tuesday. Hard to believe, but could be threatening £100m this weekend.

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I think OS Monday and Tuesday are a bit difficult to interpret without knowing for sure the per country split up as 'Cheap' Tuesday is in some regions cheap Monday, a few have both or Tuesday too or no cheap day... And in which country there are public holidays or school holdays (often enough even differing within the countries)

Either way, it's holding crazy good :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

btw, here in my country there is the slight possibilty the 'in the week' record (Monday-Wednesday) gets broken.

But on Thursday a lot of cinemas will be closed or (less) late opening.

Like on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, we can expect huge intl drops on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

Going to the cinema on those days really seems like an American thing. :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Deadline reports The Hateful Eight did $1M yesterday and $993K in previews. This movie's had one of the strangest release patterns in a while.

Guess they're trying to capitalize on the strong roadshow exhibitions and get it wide as fast as possible.  

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Guess they're trying to capitalize on the strong roadshow exhibitions and get it wide as fast as possible.  

Or at least get it out there so people can have the option to see it without any potential problems (like the many that have been reported for the roadshow version).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Or at least get it out there so people can have the option to see it without any potential problems (like the many that have been reported for the roadshow version).

True. It's unfortunate that theaters have ditched experienced projectionists who could've mitigated the problems, but I suppose that's a topic for another thread. 

FWIW, I think the issues have been over-reported. But I understand the Weinsteins' worry. 

• Like 2

What is really a bit fun:

UK = look up in the UK thread in the international area...

who will first overturn Avatar: SPECTRE or SW 7

You might not believe it, but the UK BO seems (to me) for the moment maybe (can't decide) even more impressive than dom. And that's saying quite a lot.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/281-uk-box-office-thread-star-wars-7-%C2%A3721m-1067m-2nd-monday-%C2%A363m-93m-only-10-down-from-od-minus-midnights/?page=604#comment-2332106

Edited by terrestrial
added link
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

intl 5% hold, holy shit. Someone on reddit said that monday was an anomaly, probably. Well, no, it wasn't!

TFA operates on a much higher level than other movies but the holds are normal for the end of December.

• Like 1