baumer

Star Wars TFA Tuesday Actual: 29.5M !!! (-6%)

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

We don't know much about how old movies' box offices happened though, information is scarce and BOM only has 35 years of History, 80 years are missing.

Gone With the Wind ~ 283m admissions (out of an old chart ~ 35years old)

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

We don't know much about how old movies' box offices happened though, information is scarce and BOM only has 35 years of History, 80 years are missing.

Yeah, too many re-releases that tend to throw off the totals compared to modern films. Flip side of it is that it's pretty impressive to do a re-release and add a huge amount to the gross like A New Hope did in 1997. Titanic was the most incredible modern box office run and the re-release only added $58m to the gross in 2012 with 15 years of inflation, 3D, and IMAX.

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The problem I have about adjusting is we use 3d shares from opening weekend across an entire run of a film.

Issue is for example films like Avengers jw ad Sw7 made 100s of million after thier weekend.

Therefore I always notice 2d film get adjusted up like crazy while 3d film get adjusted down massively always. 

I use about 10% as the general 3D/IMAX/PLF boost. A film like TA was boosted around 15% or more by those formats on opening weekend, so that number does go down over time as it loses IMAX/3D/PLF screens and that's why I use 10% overall. TDK's is the easiest to adjust since we know the IMAX dollar amount ($50m). Just divide that by two and you end up with $25m at regular ticket price for those showings ($508m normal gross instead of $533m with IMAX). Then divide by average price.

Checked for Star Wars tickets. Im in London Canada and there are 5 theaters showing Star Wars here. All shows were sold out from noon till 4pm.

All shows.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Do you discount the really old movies?

Not specifically, but release patterns were really different. How many releases did GWTW have? How would you define first run from those? Just the roadshow? The actual wide release? Also, its roadshow release had tickets that were far higher than normal at the time, so it sold fewer tickets than its adjusted number indicates.

The shift in demographics also means that there's a higher difficulty in older releases getting to certain thresholds. Right now the population of US+Can is about 350m. It was probably around 300m at the time of Titanic's release. And around 250m at the time of ANH's. When GWTW was released, it was probably below 150m. (Very rough estimates. I'm sort of eyeballing it. Someone is free to step in with accurate numbers.) I think it's helpful to take things in such contexts. How many tickets sold in terms of the overall population available means something. If TFA ends up with 110m tickets, that's about than 1 for every 3.2 people. Titanic sold 1 for every 2.4. ANH 1 for every 2.5.

• Like 2

Look into the UK datas, their institute has admissions details till before WWII.

Wayyyyyy more admissions then nowadays. So massive younger people believe them false.

Cinema was then the ONLY possibility to SEE news.

My father-in-law fought in WWI, my father in WWII = both dead now, father in law was Prisoner with the Brits during WWI, both worked with UK and US after WWII

= the ammounts of people pressed into salles (term?) were massive, it played only one movie, there was a hunger for news, meeting people, discussing the news afterwards, watching movies, see the glitz, forget for a time. Not only after WWII also during.

Did you never wonder why there is so much film material existing about a time without (real) TVs?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Checked for Star Wars tickets. Im in London Canada and there are 5 theaters showing Star Wars here. All shows were sold out from noon till 4pm.

All shows.

think today gonna be huge again i US /can maybe a tiny 1% 2% up :)

I quote out of UK

Annual admissions – 1935 onwards

The table below shows trends in UK cinema admissions (millions) since 1935.

From an historic high immediately post-war of 1.64 billion in 1946, UK cinema admissions gradually declined to an all-time low of just 54 million in 1984.

Since that time, the advent of the multiplex, and record levels of investment in improving the theatrical experience (still ongoing), have seen admissions recover such that since 2000, they have remained (sometimes significantly so) above 150 million.

13 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I quote out of UK

Annual admissions – 1935 onwards

The table below shows trends in UK cinema admissions (millions) since 1935.

From an historic high immediately post-war of 1.64 billion in 1946, UK cinema admissions gradually declined to an all-time low of just 54 million in 1984.

Since that time, the advent of the multiplex, and record levels of investment in improving the theatrical experience (still ongoing), have seen admissions recover such that since 2000, they have remained (sometimes significantly so) above 150 million.

Domestic is flat since 1984 according to BOM

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I can't get over the fact that it's likely to pass Avatar in less than 3 weeks of release.

Open like summer, run like Christmas. That's the perfect combo.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Domestic is flat since 1984 according to BOM

UK = BFI British Film Institute, no wrong impressions via changed exchange rates..... too

not all their datas are perfect (like how to interpret the money parts), but they do have vast datas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Film_Institute

The British Film Institute (BFI) is a charitable organisation established by Royal Charter to:

Encourage the development of the arts of film, television and the moving image throughout the United Kingdom, to promote their use as a record of contemporary life and manners, to promote education about film, television and the moving image generally, and their impact on society, to promote access to and appreciation of the widest possible range of British and world cinema and to establish, care for and develop collections reflecting the moving image history and heritage of the United Kingdom