#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

As someone who really enjoys both movies, I can't understand the Avatar vs. TFA fanboi war.  

As a well adjusted adult male with a life, I can't understand any fanboi war.  

TFA is having a phenomenal run, just like Avatar did.  I'm here for the history and the analysis of the data, not the weird dick measuring contest.  I agree it should be moved elsewhere.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Seriously, guys, take the nonsense elsewhere. This is the weekend numbers thread. I'll even create a thread just for you: the equivalent of the Marvel vs DC one. Seesh. 

:ohmygod: 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

Yeqa, but keep in mind, no one thought a billion was even possible...not even with the 247 OW.  It was us, the forum members, myself included, who started saying it was going to happen.  An opening weekend record holder has never had more than a 3.5X.  SW is going to destroy this number too (865 mill).  It could hit a billion but lets say it stalls out at 950....that's a 3.86X off a record opening weekend....another record that probably won't be touched for another decade or two.

I've said this multiple times, there actually were a couple WS firms whose analysts predicted $1b/$2.5b WW. Maybe no one thought it was possible at the beginning of the year but after presales data started coming out there were plenty of massive predictions.

• Like 1

Forecast summary, (for the nebes: those sites do them at different week days, so they have different knowledge about recent actuals. Deadline's jump sometimes more than once per day, they adjust a lot)

SW 7

BOM $104.4m

BO.com $95m (earlier in the week they had it at $98m)

DL $90-$94m

Daddy's Home

BOM $26.34m

BO.com $29m

DL $28-$29m

The Hateful Eight

BOM $24.9m (I think that was before the report of the burning film roll appeared)

BO.com $16.7m

DL $17m

Joy

BOM $12.76m

BO.com $10.5m

DL $10.4-$11m

Sisters

BOM $11.64m

BO.com $12.6m

DL %12.1-$12.5m

Rather differing estimats I think

Edited by terrestrial

8 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

But that's my point @GiantCALBears the presales data changed everything

Lol it didn't change the fact that this was always going to be record breaking to some degree. I can move back & forth the timeline however you want, it was always going to be huge & unlike Avatar & Titanic was the one film when the Lucasfilm/Disney deal was announced people could reasonably say the domestic crown could go down.