#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

1 minute ago, misterchief81 said:

I don't even think it needs to be a special edition. Throw a trailer for Rogue One (and maybe other Disney/Marvel) properties later on in the release cycle. Make the trailers exclusive, don't put them online for a long time, just to get people in theatres to see it, even if they've already seen TFA before. 

This could work, but it would HAVE to be accompanied by a strong marketing push! Plus a lot of promulgation on social media to let fans know of the trailer attachments.

An exclusive Rogue One trailer is a great starting point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Star Wars has hit the equivalent of 1B at my theatre as of earlier today. Most attended movie in our history.

Also, even though I was in concession tonight, I was the only guy on shift, and this seven or eight year old had terrible aim in the men's washroom. Seriously. He must have let that thing fly like a mini firehouse. It was awful.

DAMN BRO! The vomiting thing yesterday and now the urination thing today. Do you ever get a break at that theater? You should mandate parents to monitor their children at all time in the theater.

• Like 3

We would be well on track for $1B if people stopped wasting their money on garbage like Hateful Eight and Joy, which I'm sadly suffering through right now. I guess I'm just not mature enough -- nor will I ever be -- to suffer through a movie that always gets a failing grade for me. Ordinary people doing ordinary things. That type of "story" doesn't belong in a film that costs millions of dollars nor does it even belong in a book unless it's self-published for your family to read about your grandfather or something. This is typical "awards fare" but I guess most of the critics didn't take the bait. Yikes, it's just boring as hell. These "winter" awards movies make me so excited for summer again. I don't care what the supposedly "adult" crowd and critics say, the summer is where the good movies come out. You can pretty much forget about seeing good movies after Thanksgiving unless you get lucky enough to have one solid film like LOTR, Star Wars, Avatar, or whatever. So yeah, you get 1 watchable movie in December, then the rest is a steady train of crap that we're all supposed to like but it's obvious I'm not in the minority in thinking it's crap since none of it ever makes much money.

I miss the good old days when "awards movies" meant Deer Hunter, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, or other similarly GREAT American cinema, rather than complete boredom for 2 hours.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Another option is to tie it in with double features (Captain America: Civil War, for instance.) Disney's done this before. Cinderella probably had two or three such team-ups to get it to $200m. (Tangled, as well.) (Of course it also famously let Gnomeo and Juliet end just $50k short of $100m.)

Disney has Jungle book, civil war and Alice 2 all in less than two months, plenty of opportunity for that option.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, misterchief81 said:

I don't even think it needs to be a special edition. Throw a trailer for Rogue One (and maybe other Disney/Marvel) properties later on in the release cycle. Make the trailers exclusive, don't put them online for a long time, just to get people in theatres to see it, even if they've already seen TFA before. 

nowadays on the internet even if they plan another place for the premiere of the trailer

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also, even though I was in concession tonight, I was the only guy on shift, and this seven or eight year old had terrible aim in the men's washroom. Seriously. He must have let that thing fly like a mini firehouse. It was awful.

Hugs you (sometimes parents miss their son should visit a doctor... how to say it suited for work? Not all are 'cut' and as it can happen it's not fully 'moveable', partially 'closed'...)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

We would be well on track for $1B if people stopped wasting their money on garbage like Hateful Eight and Joy, which I'm sadly suffering through right now. I guess I'm just not mature enough -- nor will I ever be -- to suffer through a movie that always gets a failing grade for me. Ordinary people doing ordinary things. That type of "story" doesn't belong in a film that costs millions of dollars nor does it even belong in a book unless it's self-published for your family to read about your grandfather or something. This is typical "awards fare" but I guess most of the critics didn't take the bait. Yikes, it's just boring as hell. These "winter" awards movies make me so excited for summer again. I don't care what the supposedly "adult" crowd and critics say, the summer is where the good movies come out. You can pretty much forget about seeing good movies after Thanksgiving unless you get lucky enough to have one solid film like LOTR, Star Wars, Avatar, or whatever. So yeah, you get 1 watchable movie in December, then the rest is a steady train of crap that we're all supposed to like but it's obvious I'm not in the minority in thinking it's crap since none of it ever makes much money.

I miss the good old days when "awards movies" meant Deer Hunter, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, or other similarly GREAT American cinema, rather than complete boredom for 2 hours.

How old are you?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rth said:

TFA 34.5,DH 11.6,H8 5.9,Sis 5.1,Alv 4.8,Joy 4.1,TBS 3.7,Conc 3.3,PB 2.6

So only Hateful Eight had any sort of noticable drop from Friday. Everything else either stayed the same or had a small increase.

8 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Or The Apartment, All About Eve, Rebecca, Kramer vs Krammer...:rolleyes:

Edited by JohnnY
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

That would be a real shame though.

I mean imagine if this thing got to 990 million and didn't make the final 1 billion. That would suck so hard.

IMO Disney would be REALLY smart to do a TFA "special Edition" type thing to help it get past that last hurdle. What do you guys think?

Imagine it: Add in some new scenes and tack on a trailer for the upcoming Star Wars film, Rogue One. It could work! It would be a HELL of a lot more legit than buying the tickets themselves needed to get to 1 billion! They could also initiate it with a strong, late marketing push.

Disney has been way too passive with marketing up till this point. Most of the marketing I've seen for this film has come from tie-in promotions. Advertising a film with a car commercial is NOT strong marketing.

If it came within just 10 million of 1 billion, I guarantee Disney would push it over.

DL adjusted again their weekend est.

I think Tuesday is too a possibility

With $92M-$94M Weekend, ‘Force Awakens’ Expected To Claim All-Time Domestic Crown Monday

Saturday, 11:55 PM: If estimates hold, by tomorrow at this time, Star Wars: The Force Awakens will have pocketed another $204M+ in one week’s time to bring its total domestic gross to date to around $744M. Today, despite the college bowl games, Disney’s latest installment of the franchise, was up 1% to bring in an estimated $34M to $35M, which means it’s on track for a 3rd weekend gross of $92M to $93M. Although tomorrow is football Sunday and then kids return to school on Monday, at this rate, Force Awakens will surpass Avatar‘s $760.5M record to become the highest domestic box office grosser on Monday, Jan. 4th. History made in only 18 days. (well, technically 18 1/2, given that whopping $57M preview that Disney reported). Pretty incredible.

The rest seems at a fast glance unchanged

http://deadline.com/2016/01/weekend-box-office-star-wars-force-awakens-hateful-eight-new-years-2016-1201674917/

Edited by terrestrial
'killed' empty space
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

DL adjusted again their weekend est.

I think Tuesday is too a possibility

With $92M-$94M Weekend, ‘Force Awakens’ Expected To Claim All-Time Domestic Crown Monday

Saturday, 11:55 PM: If estimates hold, by tomorrow at this time, Star Wars: The Force Awakens will have pocketed another $204M+ in one week’s time to bring its total domestic gross to date to around $744M. Today, despite the college bowl games, Disney’s latest installment of the franchise, was up 1% to bring in an estimated $34M to $35M, which means it’s on track for a 3rd weekend gross of $92M to $93M. Although tomorrow is football Sunday and then kids return to school on Monday, at this rate, Force Awakens will surpass Avatar‘s $760.5M record to become the highest domestic box office grosser on Monday, Jan. 4th. History made in only 18 days. (well, technically 18 1/2, given that whopping $57M preview that Disney reported). Pretty incredible.

The rest seems at a fast glance unchanged

http://deadline.com/2016/01/weekend-box-office-star-wars-force-awakens-hateful-eight-new-years-2016-1201674917/

Its not making 16m on Monday.  It'll pass Avatar on Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Its not making 16m on Monday.  It'll pass Avatar on Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest.

Yup, no way it passes it on Monday.  Though they could mean Avatar's initial dom total of $750m, not the pointless rerelease where it made another $10m more.

Edited by FTF
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

DAMN BRO! The vomiting thing yesterday and now the urination thing today. Do you ever get a break at that theater? You should mandate parents to monitor their children at all time in the theater.

Once is unlucky. Two nights is a row is... also unlucky I guess :P

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Agree.

I start to think someone at DL confuses the $750m milestone with Avatar's dom, too long included in their articles.

Edited by terrestrial

I'm 33, and yes, The Apartment is amazing, Rebecca is amazing, name an older classic and I probably love it. There are a few exceptions, sure, a few movies I just hate (West Side Story, sorry, gangsters singing and dancing and snapping their fingers didn't work for me -- but I love Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris, and other classic musicals...). I really feel like in the past, 90% of the "awards" movies were legitimately just great films that I can see, even MANY decades later, just how great they are. In fact, I wonder if they appear even greater seeing them now, because of how much garbage I'm made to sit through yearly just to vote for my DGA award nominees.

Now in the last 20 years, I get things like Gosford Park (no stars), In the Bedroom (no stars), Crash (no stars, one of the worst films ever made on every level), Carol, Boyhood, I mean I could go on. Pretty much name a recent film that I'm supposed to like and I hate them all. Every one of them are about boring characters, like there's this huge movement about showing films that focus on your average person doing pretty much average things. That's called LIFE, it isn't worthy of being a movie. That's why you make movies, to show epic stories that the world needs to see. I don't care about average people at all. I don't go to movies to see them. I go to movies to see a guy exploring Pandora, or a Roman general seeking revenge after nearly being killed, or Rey discovering how to use the Force, or something fantastic I can't see every day. 

People want spectacle, so when the critics are complaining we don't get enough "thoughtful" films, well maybe the filmmakers of today should take some notes from the past where the big awards movies were also big popular hits because -- what a concept -- they didn't suck!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

:bravo:  Along with Kal and his AVATAR Minions on Suicide watch by Monday when this occurs and you can sure bet folks, that he'll have his Graph along with the "Adjusted/Unadjusted" crap for inflation in an effort to make sure AVATAR stays on Top Domestic and doesn't fall.. :rofl:

Don't worry BKB, SW7 will have sold 95-100m tickets when its run is over, it'll easily be the biggest ticket seller since that boat hit that iceberg in 1997.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I'm 33, and yes, The Apartment is amazing, Rebecca is amazing, name an older classic and I probably love it. There are a few exceptions, sure, a few movies I just hate (West Side Story, sorry, gangsters singing and dancing and snapping their fingers didn't work for me -- but I love Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris, and other classic musicals...). I really feel like in the past, 90% of the "awards" movies were legitimately just great films that I can see, even MANY decades later, just how great they are. In fact, I wonder if they appear even greater seeing them now, because of how much garbage I'm made to sit through yearly just to vote for my DGA award nominees.

Now in the last 20 years, I get things like Gosford Park (no stars), In the Bedroom (no stars), Crash (no stars, one of the worst films ever made on every level), Carol, Boyhood, I mean I could go on. Pretty much name a recent film that I'm supposed to like and I hate them all. Every one of them are about boring characters, like there's this huge movement about showing films that focus on your average person doing pretty much average things. That's called LIFE, it isn't worthy of being a movie. That's why you make movies, to show epic stories that the world needs to see. I don't care about average people at all. I don't go to movies to see them. I go to movies to see a guy exploring Pandora, or a Roman general seeking revenge after nearly being killed, or Rey discovering how to use the Force, or something fantastic I can't see every day. 

People want spectacle, so when the critics are complaining we don't get enough "thoughtful" films, well maybe the filmmakers of today should take some notes from the past where the big awards movies were also big popular hits because -- what a concept -- they didn't suck!

GOSFORD PARK is solid and BOYHOOD's one of the best movies of the 21st century. 

Different strokes and all that, y'know?

• Like 6

I wish so badly I could "get it," but Boyhood would make my Worst 10 movies of all time list. It was a movie about nothing. So yes, different strokes, I guess. I hated it. My girlfriend hated me when I made her watch it that night. I slept on the couch that night. LOL, j/k, but she was pissed. 

Why is Deadine saying Monday? Are they crazy? The movie's not going to make $16M on MONDAY, after the holidays are over, or anywhere even close to that. If it made $12.5M on Monday everyone here including me would be jumping for joy. Although I think some of you are severely downplaying its next week, like $7.5M? Hey, it could happen, but... I just don't see that. I see more like $9M to $10.5M Monday. *shrug*

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

For your purpose I disagree especially with the used Titanic numbers

IMHO is the 3D version, with opened up ratio, 3D added in a way even critics changed (with explaining why) their ratings... IMHO not the same as the original version.

It had it's own budget, advertising, ... reasons enough for people to want to see it again or to compare after 13 years. Not a simple re-release (those IMHO too shouldn't get used for comparisons to actual movies in the most cases)

$2,186.8m - $387.48m = $1799.32m = how I see it's run without China

Hello everyone and Happy New Year.

I do not agree. Excuse me for my english but I'm french.

Star wars already has a huge advantage with a very important ticket prices, near $ 10 and about $ 20 in I-MAX. I recall that in 1997, instead of Titanic was $ 4.7.

In the US, we'll have you stop to count in dollars. In France, it offers a number of inputs and Titanic is still number one  with 22 million viewers.

US studios have dollars to announce almost every year record by increasing the entry price but all this is artificial.

The following classification is the closest to the truth

597498Boxofficeadjusted.jpg

Edited by philippe08
error.
  • Like 2