#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

6 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

discussion of family: my grandmother saying that Alvin was a better movie than SW7, what can I say..........

I really doubt that. Another try to get movie comaprisons into the BO thread?

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If this film bombs in China (<150m) ...

That woul be in no way a bomb. How do you come up with all those strange ideas?

• Like 3

Just now, VenomXXR said:

TFA is still looking good for $1 billion. 

Jan 4 - 10 = $90 million

Jan 11 - 18 = $70 million (including MLK Monday)

Jan 19 - 24 = $40 million

Jan 25 - 31 = $25 million

We should be at no less than $965 million by the end of January. 

That's a bit optimistic. I'm expecting a finish between 925-950M

Just now, Baumer Fett said:

Thats not a bomb. Jesus dude. Come on.

And Titanic is done. Just the way it is.

When you call a professional football player shit is he actually shit at football? Or are you just changing the language to fit a much higher scale.

150m for SW7 will be terrible, under 40% of fast and furious.

Forget that,

It's interesting no one predicted it making <90m, if they did I didn't see it. I thought it would make 95 myself.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's a bit optimistic. I'm expecting a finish between 925-950M

It's not really that optimistic though. $90 million next week is a 55% drop from this week. Then I'm modeling 35% drops (roughly) every proceeding week, which would be normal for an after holidays stabilization in January. 

The question if it will be slighty over or under the OW record holder... at it's 3RD weekend, that is, what is IMHO mindblowing (and percentages are not all, especially during the end of the holodays, coming out of unseen records..)

TOP OPENING WEEKENDS BY MONTH - January

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Opening* % of Total Theaters Average Total Gross^ Date**
1 American Sniper WB $89,269,066 25.5% 3,555 $25,111 $350,126,372 1/16/15
2 Ride Along Uni. $41,516,170 30.8% 2,663 $15,590 $134,938,200 1/17/14
  • Like 1

Opposite Star Wars, female-fronted Sisters and Joy did well at holiday box office. Point Break did not.

Other fave stat: THE FORCE AWAKENS is led by a strong female character.

DADDY'S HOME: $21.9M Overseas Total / $115.6M Global Total

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

It's not really that optimistic though. $90 million next week is a 55% drop from this week. Then I'm modeling 35% drops (roughly) every proceeding week, which would be normal for an after holidays stabilization in January. 

So you think that TFA will have better January than Avatar? Is this possible?

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

If this film bombs in China (<150m) it might not beat Titanic WW.

Possible, but unlikely.

It will eclipse $1B OS without China.  It's showing very good legs internationally, and outpacing its already insane domestic legs (for an opener of this size).

I was thinking $1.1B domestic, $1.2B (minus China) OS, but TFA's drops are a little higher than I anticipated on the domestic front.  I think it gets to $1B, but stalls out there.  Internationally, $1.1B seems like a safe bet, without China.  With a weak China, you're looking at $1.2B, and Titanic is still a goner.  It will have to be a gigantic flop in China not to get over Titanic WW.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

41% drop? Lol, the new car smell is wearing off and people are starting to smell the rotting corpse that is in the trunk.

That rotting corpse is still going to be the number 1 domestic film of all time,  so jokes on you.

• Like 6

Globally, The Force Awakens pulled in $184.6 million this weekend, bringing its worldwide total to a whopping $1.51 billion. It will soon surpass The Avengers ($1.52 billion) and Furious 7 ($1.515 billion) to become the fourth-biggest movie of all time. It’s also become IMAX’s second highest-grossing movie ever with a global total of $152 million, and in record time: The Force Awakens reached that total in only 19 days, as opposed to Avatar, which took 47 days. The Force Awakens has opened worldwide with the exception of China, where it will debut this weekend.

In other box office news from a galaxy not so far, far away, Daddy’s Home took second for the weekend, earning an estimated $29 million. The Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg-starring comedy debuted above expectations last weekend, and it held up well in its second outing, falling only 25 percent. Its domestic total is now at $93.7 million.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/03/box-office-report-star-wars-force-awakens-new-years

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Possible, but unlikely.

It will eclipse $1B OS without China.  It's showing very good legs internationally, and outpacing its already insane domestic legs (for an opener of this size).

I was thinking $1.1B domestic, $1.2B (minus China) OS, but TFA's drops are a little higher than I anticipated on the domestic front.  I think it gets to $1B, but stalls out there.  Internationally, $1.1B seems like a safe bet, without China.  With a weak China, you're looking at $1.2B, and Titanic is still a goner.  It will have to be a gigantic flop in China not to get over Titanic WW.

And also....it's still extremely praised by critics....that's another reason for SW: Force Awakens holding very well so far.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

TFA is still looking good for $1 billion. 

Jan 4 - 10 = $90 million

Jan 11 - 18 = $70 million (including MLK Monday)

Jan 19 - 24 = $40 million

Jan 25 - 31 = $25 million

We should be at no less than $965 million by the end of January. 

This is about the way I calc it too.  It's going to be hard to miss $1B.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

So you think that TFA will have better January than Avatar? Is this possible?

About the same. TFA is already up $20 million on Avatar in January after this weekend. This coming week TFA will do a little better during the week and have a little better weekend. After that Avatar should start outpacing it in daily totals. Avatar did $312 million in January, my model for TFA is $310 million including this weekend. 

THR article:

Revenue at the 2015 global box office crossed $38 billion for the first time in history, surpassing last year's record $36.7 billion, Rentrak reported early Sunday.

That includes an unprecedented $11 billion-plus in North America, up 6.3 percent from last year's dismal $10.35 billion, as well as 2013's record $10.9 billion.

A final international tally isn't immediately available, but Rentrak is predicting that global revenue will clock in between $38 billion and $40 billion, putting the international figure anywhere between $27 billion and $29 billion. China — where the box office grew an astonishing 49 percent — is a large part of the boom.

Then there's China, where revenue reached a record $6.78 billion (44 billion yuan), the country's film regulator reported late last week. 

The expansion marked the highest rate of growth since 2011, according to the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SARFT). Only five years ago, the total annual box office in China was just $1.51 billion. By the end of 2017, China is expected to surpass North America and become the largest movie market in the world.