#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

With TV rights, they're usually a cap when a film hits $200m so it's roughly $20m but a studio might throw in a few other titles as well as part of the deal. FX in the US as well as TNT are quite aggressive when it comes to acquiring basic cable rights to films. Star Wars I imagine will be highly sought after

• Like 4

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

Thanks for clearing that up.  I know Spike TV paid for lifetime broadcast rights, so I guess I got confused there.

There are of course always exceptions (and I imagine lifetime broadcast rights would be way more expensive but it might be worth it in TFA's case) but yeah in general, they don't get them for life. That's an amazingly good deal.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

With TV rights, they're usually a cap when a film hits $200m so it's roughly $20m but a studio might throw in a few other titles as well as part of the deal. FX in the US as well as TNT are quite aggressive when it comes to acquiring basic cable rights to films. Star Wars I imagine will be highly sought after

The reverse is true as well: studios will frequently package crappy/unpopular movies with popular ones. It's usually not a single movie per contract.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

It launched a six-season series that became a fan favorite and was received pretty well. It's one of the few Expanded Universe products to come over to the new canon. The movie was a success by every measure it was expected of it. So no, I will not erase it from memory/history.

Well it was still a glorified pilot episode, and like you said used as a tool to launch a TV series. I liked the series, I thought there were many standards episodes better than the theatrical release. Enjoying Rebels probably a little more.

Edited by MonstersandRoy

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Ah, yes....with the animated "SW: The Clone Wars".

Pretty decent flick, BTW.......and a pretty good TV-series it spawned.

Did anyone see the Tv-series?

I saw the Clone Wars in theaters actually. What can I say? I like Star Wars. I thought it was...kinda terrible so I avoided seeing the series until this year when I checked it out due to my TFA hype. I watched the first season only so far and it started to get really good at the end. I'm hoping to have time to watch season 2 sometime this year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

I saw the Clone Wars in theaters actually. What can I say? I like Star Wars. I thought it was...kinda terrible so I avoided seeing the series until this year when I checked it out due to my TFA hype. I watched the first season only so far and it started to get really good at the end. I'm hoping to have time to watch season 2 sometime this year.

Best luck seeing the second season. :)

15 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The reverse is true as well: studios will frequently package crappy/unpopular movies with popular ones. It's usually not a single movie per contract.

I remember chatting with a guy who worked for Funimation about the package deals for getting anime rights. It was often something like there was one series you wanted, and would be willing to pay something like $150k an episode for it. But the company would try to offer you three series at, say, $100k an episode. The thing is, those other two series were crap and you didn't want them. You probably can't make a profit on them. So it was a question as to whether you could afford the series you wanted and make a profit at $300k an episode, essentially.

(Numbers are pretty much a random guess. This was probably a conversation from a decade ago.)

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 3

Clone Wars was just five episodes edited into a film. It only cost $8.5m to make and it still ended up being profitable for Lucasfilm and WB, the latter only paid distribution costs and P&A which they likely recouped

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Did anyone else see the "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" Tv-series?

I started watching it when I heard about the return of Darth Maul. Gotta love Darth Maul. Series was better than I thought it was going to be after seeing the film. You seen Rebels? 

Just now, MonstersandRoy said:

I started watching it when I heard about the return of Darth Maul. Gotta love Darth Maul. Series was better than I thought it was going to be after seeing the film. You seen Rebels? 

Haven't seen "Rebels" yet.

Does that series take place after the SW-prequels or what?