WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

33 minutes ago, FTF said:

I don't think the words Leo and easy Oscar winner can be put in the same sentence.

Oscar favorite sure, but this isn't Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs or DDL when he gave the goat performance and was a lock for TWBB, etc.

Also, great jump for TFA and excellent ow for The Revenant.

Based on things I'm hearing not only is Leo not a lock I don't even think he's the favorite. I'd say 80-90% of critics I've read are going for Fassbender (probably 60%) or Redmayne (20-30%) with the other 10% going to Leo.

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Based on things I'm hearing not only is Leo not a lock I don't even think he's the favorite. I'd say 80-90% of critics I've read are going for Fassbender (probably 60%) or Redmayne (20-30%) with the other 10% going to Leo.

You should consult different sources. Both of these sites have predictions from a couple dozen experts and Leo is the unanimous selection to win. Or do your sources know more than all of these people?

http://moviecitynews.com/2016/01/gurus-o-gold-down-to-the-nomination-wire/

http://www.goldderby.com/awardshows/experts/oscars-2015-nominations-nominations/best-actor.html

29 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Critics don't decide the Oscars, though. 

• Like 1

Wow, much better hold than I was expecting. With another $13M on Sunday we should be looking at $42-$44M and another weekend at #1. Curious to see what we can do from Mon-Thurs this week. Could be anywhere from $14-20M. 1B is looking tough, but $900M is a lock. If anyone had told me we'd be hitting that before Dec. 18 I would have told them they were drunk.

• Like 4

Just got back from a sold out 10:30 showing of the Martian.... You read that right... Sold out showing of the Martian. 10:30PM.

Paid $1.25 for my ticket . (Student discount... Live in a college town) 

Anyways, the previews were obviously all very out dated. The original Star Wars 7 trailer was shown. People literally cheered... For the Star Wars Trailer... Before the Martian... On January 9th 2016 ?.

Awesome Saturday Jump! I was expecting 16-17.

Edited by rustyspoons89
  • Like 3

Yeah the only people predicting $900M before this movie opened were mostly fanboys on Star Wars forums with just about zero knowledge of the box office. Huh. That's the funny part, when the experts are wrong and the crazy don't-know-shit biased fan boys are right! LOL. I consider myself both a fanboy and a box office follower. I gave the film a 50-50 chance of beating Avatar in the U.S., 5% worldwide (just a low non-zero number, basically), but I thought if it beat Avatar domestic it would inch past it towards the end of the run, surely in February, on its way to maybe $790M if we were lucky. Not... in 20 days. Haha.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Shoutout to @The Stingray: saw a little blurb that Captain Phasma got her name because Abrams was reminded of the killer sphere in PHANTASM... plus he's a big fan of Angus Scrimm, whom he worked with briefly on Alias.

Yep, read about that too.

Kudos to JJ for referencing one of my favorite horror movies.

Btw, how do you give shoutouts with the yellow text like the one you just gave?

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 1

Don't expect good holds on Sunday. Avatar's 25% Sunday drop ain't going to happen, so people really need to throw that comparison out the window.

Last year, on Sunday January 11, tons of films dropped 40%, with many hitting the high 40's and even 50.

Expect Revenant to come in around 9 on Sunday, and maybe even drop into the 8's. Expect Star Wars to come in around 11.5, with an outside chance of a good hold keeping it up around 12. (And that's assuming that the 19 and 15 estimates from a few hours ago hold right at 19.0 and 15.0 without dropping.)

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

Dude did you read my post?! You're looking at it! I'm working hard for you guys, saw the goddamn movie twice more Saturday, I can't do this all alone! LOL, j/k, I know my $32 or whatever doesn't really amount to anything more than tears in the rain. :P

Tears in the rain?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

BTW how the hell is it possible that TFA is going from 10.76 million on Friday to 19 million on Saturday?

That seems like some kind of anomaly!

Was Friday just a bizarre occurrence?

No bizarre occurence............ movies typically jump 70-75% on January Saturday.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

Really? Any particular reason why that is the case? Is it only on this Saturday of the year?

Seems weird.

From here on, every Saturday will have big jumps until summer. Because now everybody is back to work/school/college.

15 minutes ago, Fake said:

From here on, every Saturday will have big jumps until summer. Because now everybody is back to work/school/college.

I have been looking through some other movies' sat bumps and if this 19m holds it will be one of the best I have seen. I am sure there are better, but a 77% increase is crazy good. 

Its almost like a kids movie hold (matinee heavy). Its not totally you look at Frozen in January and it was having 100% increase Sat over Fri. But its somewhere in between frozen and a typical blockbuster. 

Edited by tokila

35 minutes ago, Fake said:

No bizarre occurence............ movies typically jump 70-75% on January Saturday.

not true IMO.

The only movie ever that was operating(non opening weekend) near the level TFA is in January was Avatar. And it had a 60% sat bump the same day (it did have a better friday bump). Most of the bumps I saw that were better than 70% were like 1.2 mil to 2.2 mil. That is not comparable.