CJohn

THE GOLDEN GLOBES 2016 | Discuss It Live Here!

6 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Idk why Bale is in lead, he's definitely a supporting role.  Honestly, Gosling is probably the lead of the movie, and Carell is a strong supporting character.

The category is as stretched thin as possible this year, so that's why he's there. It is blatantly a supporting role though. 

I think Gosling's narration may make him seem like a bigger presence, but Carell easily has the most screentime. There's not one character it's really "more" about though. It's like Spotlight, except this time one of them has enough screentime to fly as lead. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Yup, between that and :sarah::ohmygod: :WHATanabe: there will tons of them tonight. 

:redcapes:

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Really? WTF?

Makeup shortlist is:

Black Mass

Concussion

Legend

Mad Max

Mr Holmes

The 100 Year Old Man who Jumped Out the Window

The Revenant

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Really? WTF?

Yup, between that and :sarah::ohmygod: :WHATanabe: there will tons of them tonight. 

What :lol: 

Like The Departed, The Big Short has a bunch of famous faces that figure prominently (some much more so than others) but it could be debated who the real lead is.

Also: who the hell you calling traitor? Go wank off to episodes to that flop second season of True Detective or whatever. LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

:redcapes:

Makeup shortlist is:

Black Mass

Concussion

Legend

Mad Max

Mr Holmes

The 100 Year Old Man who Jumped Out the Window

The Revenant

The lack of The Danish Girl is a bit WTF to me tbh. 

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

The lack of The Danish Girl is a bit WTF to me tbh. 

Yeah it's really surprising. Star Wars you can at least understand because Disney didn't screen it. While we're at it, Visual Effects shortlist:

Ant-Man

Age of Ultron

Ex Machina

Jurassic World

Mad Max

The Martian

The Revenant

Star Wars

Tomorrowland

The Walk

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah it's really surprising. Star Wars you can at least understand because Disney didn't screen it. While we're at it, Visual Effects shortlist:

Ant-Man

Age of Ultron

Ex Machina

Jurassic World

Mad Max

The Martian

The Revenant

Star Wars

Tomorrowland

The Walk

Unless I am missing something I think all the main contenders are here. Star Wars and The Martian are locked, IMO. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Unless I am missing something I think all the main contenders are here. Star Wars and The Martian are locked, IMO. 

Mad Max is locked as well IMO. I have the last two mirroring BAFTA: Ant-Man and Ex Machina. Would not be surprised if The Revenant and/or The Walk replaced one or both.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Mad Max is locked as well IMO. I have the last two mirroring BAFTA: Ant-Man and Ex Machina. Would not be surprised if The Revenant and/or The Walk replaced one or both.

I would like The Walk to get in just because it is probably the only place where it can get a nomination.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Ant-Man

Age of Ultron

Ex Machina

Jurassic World

Mad Max

The Martian

The Revenant

Star Wars

Tomorrowland

The Walk

Well we for sure know Tomorrowland isn't making the nom. :P Doubt Ant Man would either. It could conceivably be any combo of the other 8 though. I'd say:

TFA

Martian

MM

JW

The Walk or The Revenant (should be The Walk, but Revenant's big awards player status could maybe give it an edge)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

HFPA has to have whoever's big at the moment (and I don't mean it that way lol). Jennifer is old news unfortunately. 

I think we need to consider Maggie Smith too. She's supposedly attending, and I doubt she'd actually be attending unless she was confident (or the HFPA assured her) of a win. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well we for sure know Tomorrowland isn't making the nom. :P Doubt Ant Man would either. It could conceivably be any combo of the other 8 though. I'd say:

TFA

Martian

MM

JW

The Walk or The Revenant (should be The Walk, but Revenant's big awards player status could maybe give it an edge)

Ant-Man would get in before AOU. The latter has very vanilla effects. I'm not expecting JW since Pacific Rim and Godzilla didn't make it.

3 minutes ago, riczhang said:

I think we need to consider Maggie Smith too. She's supposedly attending, and I doubt she'd actually be attending unless she was confident (or the HFPA assured her) of a win. 

:lol:

Wow, I figured that was totally a phone in performance that the HFPA went for just because, you know, she's Maggie Smith.