Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Seeing both Revenant and Spotlight a second time this weekend confirmed that Spotlight is fucking fantastic. In my perfect imaginary world, Room would win but I'm hoping for a Spotlight upset. Revenant gained nothing on repeat viewing. It actually felt even longer this time.

I think Spotlight has a chance, it's not great but a lot better than Big Short as of now. Room has zero chance Rich.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

while re-enacting a certain Sam Jackson monologue from hateful eight. will be the highlight of the night.

That reminds me: I hope Jennifer Jason Leigh's clip is Kurt Russell barfing blood all over her face while she just cackles.

4 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Star Wars could easily win Score. It just comes down to whether their sentimentality leans more in favor of Morricone or Williams. Neither one is getting any younger, and the former has never won a competitive Oscar, while the latter hasn't won in 22 years.

Morricone or there will be protests.

5 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Star Wars could easily win Score. It just comes down to whether their sentimentality leans more in favor of Morricone or Williams. Neither one is getting any younger, and the former has never won a competitive Oscar, while the latter hasn't won in 22 years.

Odds say it would be a massive upset if Williams beats Morricone just to clarify. 89% vs 5% chance.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Fantastic Four and Fifty Shades of Grey tie for Worst Picture at the Razzies. How predictable.

And Dakota Johnson winning Worst Actress is dumb. She's actually pretty good in Fifty Shades of Grey and makes her problematic character slightly less so. Whatever. Razzies gonna Razzie. At least Eddie Redmayne won.

Aloha was nominated for zero Razzies that's how you know these people don't watch movies

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

leo winning for this, mcconaughey winning for getting skinny and eddie redmayne winning for looking uncomfortable while sitting in that chair prove once and for all that effort is better than merit.

You talk like it takes too much effort to get nominated. After all, Tom Hardy coat ailed in for doing a Snidely Whiplash impression. 

Edited by filmlover

37 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

ugh

32 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

cinderella costume design is for babies that like shiny things.

I knew you'd be against that category lol. Cinderella's costume design works perfectly for its type of movie, and it really does look lovely. Mad Max is a close second personally, but Cinderella's costumes are actually important to the narrative and fit perfectly IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Aloha was nominated for zero Razzies that's how you know these people don't watch movies

Exactly. They just pick a couple of bad popular films and shit on everyone involved. In a perfect world, Aloha should have won like every award, plus a brand new Worst Foreign Language Film cos of that scene with the subtitles.

I can't wait to see it, I hear it's phenomenal. Huge Brie Larson fan.

It just clicked for me. I've been accused by a couple of friends of overhyping it, which might be true in my case. Afterwards they basically said, "It was good but I don't get why you lost your mind over it."

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I need your help on the shorts guys, Sanjay's Super Team or World of Tomorrow; Body Team 12 or Claude Lanzmann: Spectres OTS; Ave Maria or Shok???

World of Tomorrow, but that race is really close between that, Sanjay, and Bear Story

Body Team 12

Ave Maria

Edited by WrathOfHan

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I knew you'd be against that category lol. Cinderella's costume design works perfectly for its type of movie, and it really does look lovely. Mad Max is a close second personally, but Cinderella's costumes are actually important to the narrative and fit perfectly IMO.

Costume design is one of the more interesting categories this year, Mad Max is the favorite but Cinderella & Carol wouldn't be shockers honestly.