AniNate

Sundance 2016

fox searchlight bought birth of a nation for lots of cash. it's got decent reviews and a baity subject matter. thinking searchlight bought it for so much because they can do a lot with it awards wise. they can do well with their sundance acquisitions like Southern Wild and Brooklyn. 

13 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Amazon needs to not make the same mistake Netflix did campaigning and push Manchester hard. It sounds like Casey Affleck could be in contention for the win. 

There's a new controversy now about Casey's assault allegations made against him by some female cast members working on the new Pheonix documentary

I don't think he stands a chance to win

Nate Parker is also facing homophobe + gang rape controversies.

I just found about both on awardswatch today and it will be pretty ugly if these spread in time for awards season

I wonder how the Fox Searchlight (wonder how much they are regretting paying such a record sum now) deal was broken down. I mean, they can say they still stand by the movie even if they don't stand by Parker. Although that complicates things since it's Parker's movie all around (he directed, wrote, co-produced, and starred in it, so it's his baby). An unfortunate situation all around, really.

35 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

They are today's Gramercy/USA Films

Which became Focus Features. ;)

This year's Oscars, more than anything else, has shown us that Open Road and A24 are here to stay (if only you could've had such luck, Relativity). A24's big showing is especially important because now they'll have a consistent cash flow. Will be interesting to see if they try to branch out beyond indies eventually.

I just noticed that A24 also bought Morris From America as well. The question is, though: is the movie another End of the Tour, or will the performances (namely Craig Robinson and Markers Christmas) actually be represented at awards shows like the Oscars?

Edited by slambros
To put 'as well' at the end of a sentence