Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers: 1) Revenant 16.0 | 2) Star Wars 14.25 | 3) Ride Along 2 12.96 pg 49

25 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Well, it's a film that takes place on the water, which always inflates a budget and it's a film with a lot of effects.  

And I don't understand why people think it's not going to do well.  It looks quite good to me.

Yes, but we all know your affinity for films taking place on ships, especially if a love story is also involved. ;)

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yes, but we all know your affinity for films taking place on ships, especially if a love story is also involved. ;)

But what exactly looks bad about it?  It's a story of brotherhood, heroism and loyalty.  It's based on a true story and it has a good cast.  I see no reason for it to be like another In the Heart of the Sea.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kraken said:

What a horrible and slanderous thing to say!

Michelle Monaghan's delivery of "I'm a veterinarian" in Battle Los Angeles is the single worst delivered line in the history of cinema. She sucks and she should feel terrible for torturing cinema goers with her suckage. 

BTW, That number for the lstest Flopetz disaster is hilarious. :lol:

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

What a horrible bump for SW.  Practically everything else jumped more.

Noticed the theater I was at yesterday did not display all the show times for TFA on their exterior boards. They are seemingly pushing the new releases as a strategy. Otherwise they would have really struggled due to WOM over the next week. Will be interesting to see today's numbers especially as word spreads. 

3 minutes ago, Baumer said:

But what exactly looks bad about it?  It's a story of brotherhood, heroism and loyalty.  It's based on a true story and it has a good cast.  I see no reason for it to be like another In the Heart of the Sea.

Well Heart of the Sea itself is a great place to start for why it will do poorly. That actually did have a blockbuster-esque campaign with big flashy visuals. Still tanked hard. This is like that without even the visual hook for the audience. What exactly is appealing about it? The trailers look extremely dull and Pine has zero draw power. Best it can hope for is catching on with the over 40 audience, but even in that case OW will probably still be low. 

6 minutes ago, Baumer said:

What a horrible bump for SW.  Practically everything else jumped more.

AUJ had a 75%/129% Fri/Sat jump on this comparative weekend. Hopefully it is doing something similar and today's bump will be big. It did follow AUJ's holds most of this week.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well Heart of the Sea itself is a great place to start for why it will do poorly. That actually did have a blockbuster-esque campaign with big flashy visuals. Still tanked hard. This is like that without even the visual hook for the audience. What exactly is appealing about it? The trailers look extremely dull and Pine has zero draw power. Best it can hope for is catching on with the over 40 audience, but even in that case OW will probably still be low. 

AUJ had a 75%/129% Fri/Sat jump on this comparative weekend. Hopefully it is doing something similar and today's bump will be big. It did follow AUJ's holds most of this week.  

Wow, well I guess you and I have different opinions on which films look appealing.  I think it looks incredibly appealing and there is much more of a human element to it than ITHOTS.  

• Community Manager
8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

3 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Wow, well I guess you and I have different opinions on which films look appealing.  I think it looks incredibly appealing and there is much more of a human element to it than ITHOTS.  

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Just now, Baumer said:

Yeah, but you were one of the few to have ITHOTS in your top 15 in the winter game with over 100m I think. No offense, but obviously you are way more inclined towards these types of films than the average person. It can probably be one of those small leggy drama films Disney tends to put out every year, where it opens to like 10 and finishes with 35-40 (i.e. McFarland last year). Nothing about the marketing indicates a sizable OW though. Anything over 15 would be pretty shocking. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, but you were one of the few to have ITHOTS in your top 15 in the winter game with over 100m I think. No offense, but obviously you are way more inclined towards these types of films than the average person. It can probably be one of those small leggy drama films Disney tends to put out every year, where it opens to like 10 and finishes with 35-40 (i.e. McFarland last year). Nothing about the marketing indicates a sizable OW though. Anything over 15 would be pretty shocking. 

I made a top 15 list in the winter game?  

• Like 2

• Community Manager
Just now, Baumer said:

Yea, I get that there's an age difference here WB, but does it really look that prosaic to everyone under the age of 30?

I can't speak for everyone under 30 but honestly Baumer, the Finest Hours trailer wants to put me to sleep. The movie looks very exhausting filled with melodrama. And I like Chris Pine.

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Yea, I get that there's an age difference here WB, but does it really look that prosaic to everyone under the age of 30?

It just looks uninteresting to me personally. Nothing about the trailer makes me want to go watch the movie. Looks almost like a "Perfect Storm" retread.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

I made a top 15 list in the winter game?  

Haha, yep. :) Here ya go:

1) Star Wars:  600M
2) Mocking Jay 2:  405M
3) Spectre:  260M
4) The Good Dinosaur:  259.9M
5) In The Heart of the Sea:  175M

6) Kung Fu Panda 3:  165M
7) The Hateful Eight:  150M
8) The Peanuts Movie:  145M
9) Creed: 130M 
10) 33 Hours:  120M

11) Ride Along 2:  119.9M
12) 13 Hours: 100M
13) The Revenant:  99.5M
14) Point Break:  99.4M
15) Daddy's Home:  98.5M

Your post is right below mine on the first page of the pre-season prediction thread. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Michelle Monaghan's delivery of "I'm a veterinarian" in Battle Los Angeles is the single worst delivered line in the history of cinema. She sucks and she should feel terrible for torturing cinema goers with her suckage. 

this forum hates her so much they hate her for movies she ain't even in. goddamn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Haha, yep. :) Here ya go:

1) Star Wars:  600M
2) Mocking Jay 2:  405M
3) Spectre:  260M
4) The Good Dinosaur:  259.9M
5) In The Heart of the Sea:  175M

6) Kung Fu Panda 3:  165M
7) The Hateful Eight:  150M
8) The Peanuts Movie:  145M
9) Creed: 130M 
10) 33 Hours:  120M

11) Ride Along 2:  119.9M
12) 13 Hours: 100M
13) The Revenant:  99.5M
14) Point Break:  99.4M
15) Daddy's Home:  98.5M

Your post is right below mine on the first page of the pre-season prediction thread. 

Wow!  Those are pretty much the worst predictions I've ever made.  lol

• Like 1