BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

Normally, I'd be pissed off that The Red Turtle made it in over Your Name, but, quite frankly, I lost the ability to care about the Animated Oscar a long time ago. This isn't even in the Top 10 of worst snubs/bad nominations I've seen from this category over the years.

Still need to see Zucchini though, damn it.

Sad for Your Name.

Zootopia didn't get a screenplay nomination, but at least Kubo and the Two Strings got a well-deserved Visual Effects nod.

That might actually help Kubo a bit. Adds just a little bit of suspense.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

He's usually a hardass on Illumination. I haven't actually seen Sing, so I don't know if it's actually that bad.

SLOP on the other hand, is legitimately bad.

I haven't seen Sing either, but even if I had seen it and loved it I wouldn't think it was nomination-worthy. It's clear overall opinion puts it in the mediocre range.

I think Funimation's biggest mistake was to give it a qualifying release in 2016. Especially given that their wider North American release is going to be in April, which means that even if it had been nominated it would be of limited benefit.

That being said, I do agree that their promotion of it was piss-poor. Just doubt that the Animation Branch is likely to be influenced much by a promotion campaign.

43 minutes ago, Jason said:

Just doubt that the Animation Branch is likely to be influenced much by a promotion campaign.

Not sure why you'd think that. Funimation just needed to do some outreach.

If they got people to really think that Shinkai was the next Miyazaki, they would have turned heads.