Mockingjay Raphael

WEEKEND THREAD | B.O numbers Page 28: Final Divergent movie opens at $29m, Zoo: $38m

15 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

You think Lionsgate will really drop their plans?

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't see them making another at this point either. The potential just isn't there.

A potential big problem is Power Rangers.  For those that don't know, that 2017 movie is budgeted at $120 million from its art director's site, and if Ascendant were to go ahead and we assume it would carry a similar budget to Allegiant, that would mean Lionsgate would be spending over $200 million on two films in 2017 released within three months of each other, one of which is an unknown, and the other the last of a young adult book series in decline.  Power Rangers is filming right now, so rather than cut the budget on that, Lionsgate may prefer to not make Ascendant instead.

Just now, Outrageous! said:

A potential big problem is Power Rangers.  For those that don't know, that 2017 movie is budgeted at $120 million from its art director's site, and if Ascendant were to go ahead and we assume it would carry a similar budget to Allegiant, that would mean Lionsgate would be spending over $200 million on two films in 2017 released within three months of each other, one of which is an unknown, and the other the last of a young adult book series in decline.  Power Rangers is filming right now, so rather than cut the budget on that, Lionsgate may prefer to not make Ascendant instead.

Lionsgate has a long-standing tradition of covering most of their production budgets through foreign presales. We can't make any sort of reasonable guess as to how much they have on the line.

4 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

I wouldn't say POWER RANGERS is an unknown property, though.

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I wouldn't say POWER RANGERS is an unknown property, though.

"Unknown" as in the debut movie in what they hope will be a series -- and as such they don't know what it will do or how good or bad it will perform -- as opposed to Ascendant which would be the fourth movie in an established franchise whose worth or lack thereof has been made clear.

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Lionsgate has a long-standing tradition of covering most of their production budgets through foreign presales. We can't make any sort of reasonable guess as to how much they have on the line.

But how much longer can those sort of deals last?  Do you think their foreign partners enjoy releasing Lionsgate films that flop over and over again, while Lionsgate sits back and essentially loses nothing?  And if their executives are saying they are only losing 10 million on movies like Gods of Egypt, then their partner companies can hear that too.  The next time they negotiate may not go as well for Lionsgate, and I'm reminded of Darth Vader's and Lando's dialogue exchange about deals in The Empire Strikes Back.

Just now, Outrageous! said:

But how much longer can those sort of deals last?  Do you think their foreign partners enjoy releasing Lionsgate films that flop over and over again, while Lionsgate sits back and essentially loses nothing?  And if their executives are saying they are only losing 10 million on movies like Gods of Egypt, then their partner companies can hear that too.  The next time they negotiate may not go as well for Lionsgate, and I'm reminded of Darth Vader's and Lando's dialogue exchange about deals in The Empire Strikes Back.

GODS OF EGYPT has done decently well overseas -- I'm sure there are territories where the distributors are happy with performance/cost. Whether Lionsgate continues to make the deals or not is a worthy question, but it doesn't really pertain to movies where they (likely) already have deals in place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nutterbutter said:

"Unknown" as in the debut movie in what they hope will be a series -- and as such they don't know what it will do or how good or bad it will perform -- as opposed to Ascendant which would be the fourth movie in an established franchise whose worth or lack thereof has been made clear.

We can say the same thing regarding sequels. lol

The rules of the Divergent world are pretty flimsy even by YA standards. Like, it's not impossible for someone to have all five of those qualities lol. I don't know about the books but lord the movies feel like they would benefit from a hint of self-awareness about how goofy the outline of its universe really is.

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

From what I've gathered, this ends with a conclusion that would be fine if it were the last one. That's the way I felt by the end of the second movie last year where I was left wondering "how are there are two more of these left?" Especially when the primary villain (Kate Winslet) has already been defeated.

Which is the exact problem with the Divergent movies. The first movie was okay but nothing great, but at least provided some entertainment. It wasn't quite a one-and-done but close to one, and the next one was a convoluted mess that made no sense for the most part, but still ended in a way that made sense. I've never read the books so I don't how faithful they have been, but the movie franchise has been turning itself into a pretzel trying to justify continuing on when it feels like it could've ended three times already.

Divergent, Hunger Games, Twilight, Maze Runner. They all have pretty good first books, Hunger games even 2, but they all have terrible anticlimatic endings and don't feel, like they were planned from the beginning. There have been no consistant main enemies no concistant enemies. It all changes all the time. Good, bad, dead, new bad, 2 weeks good, bad again, dead etc. 

That's the big difference to the Potter series. It was all structured to finish in a big bang. And it did. From the beginning it was clear, Harry vs. Voldemort.  

Just now, kayumanggi said:

We can say the same thing regarding sequels. lol

But not quite so. That's why Hollywood is so in love with churning out sequels to things that oftentimes have no business having sequels, or rebooting something they just did five years ago, or creating spinoffs for all 14 characters in something else they did 10 years ago. They all have an audience already established so there's at least an inkling of an idea for how the sequel/reboot/spinoff will do. A new original movie, or a first installment, is a total question mark.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The rules of the Divergent world are pretty flimsy even by YA standards. Like, it's not impossible for someone to have all five of those qualities lol. I don't know about the books but lord the movies feel like they would benefit from a hint of self-awareness about how goofy the outline of its universe really is.

Spoiler

That is the point of the books. Everyone has those five qualities ;) They don't need to be Divergent for that.

4 minutes ago, Nutterbutter said:

But not quite so. That's why Hollywood is so in love with churning out sequels to things that oftentimes have no business having sequels, or rebooting something they just did five years ago, or creating spinoffs for all 14 characters in something else they did 10 years ago. They all have an audience already established so there's at least an inkling of an idea for how the sequel/reboot/spinoff will do. A new original movie, or a first installment, is a total question mark.

I agree. But at least being on TV for quite some time gives POWER RANGERS a certain level of exposure.