Mockingjay Raphael

WEEKEND THREAD | B.O numbers Page 28: Final Divergent movie opens at $29m, Zoo: $38m

33 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The critics:

Okay, when was the last time you saw an advert that highlighted the overwhelming negativity surrounding a film? (Aside from a film like DIRTY GRANDPA.)

I'm sure there are a couple of critics who have used the word "best" somewhere in their review. Just because an advert says, "Critics are calling it the best", does not mean all critics are... 

17 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

Okay, when was the last time you saw an advert that highlighted the overwhelming negativity surrounding a film? (Aside from a film like DIRTY GRANDPA.)

I'm sure there are a couple of critics who have used the word "best" somewhere in their review. Just because an advert says, "Critics are calling it the best", does not mean all critics are... 

Here's one:

v1.YzsxODE0O2c7MTY5MzQ7MjA0ODszODs0Mg

Gary Wolcott 
Tri-City Herald

March 18, 2016
Do we always have to do the last book in a series as a two part movie? Or three? Really? This one, however, is the best of the Divergent series movies.

And this one:

user.none.tmb.jpg

Alex Zane 
Sun Online

March 10, 2016
The best of the series and a slick slice of sci-fi cinema.

No quote mining here. No spin. These are positive statements from positive (4/5 stars each) reviews. Two of 11 positive reviews on Rottentomatoes. 11 positive reviews out of 104.

So yes, their commercials can say "critics are calling it the best" because indeed, more than one critic did indeed say it was "the best." It's right there. And the advertising will point out those good remarks ... conveniently leaving out the fact that the overwhelming majority of critics actually had the opposite opinion. But why would they call attention to the negatives? That wouldn't do them any good. Marketing. 

Edited by Nutterbutter
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel bad for Shailene, to be honest. She's a tremendously talented actress, but this was touted to be her Hunger Games (and her in general as being "The Next Jennifer Lawrence") and now her career seems to be somewhat stalled, no doubt mostly because of this series.

Lol no its not.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I just literally quoted what Lionsgate is saying in the tv spots. I thought it was true, I didn't know they were allowed to lie in advertisement. 

It's not lying, but it is being selective with the truth. And that's perfectly allowed.

Sometimes marketers will get a stroke of brilliance where you just have to admire what they pulled off. Like this:

COaZeleUkAAxbYO.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

Lol no its not.

Maybe "stalled" was too strong of a word, but it certainly hasn't taken off like Hollywood thought it would two years ago (when she was being touted as "The Next Jennifer Lawrence" with the expectation of Divergent being her Hunger Games and The Fault In Our Stars being her Silver Linings Playbook, to an extent). Since then, her only projects have been Divergent sequels, what's most likely a nothing girlfriend role in Snowden (I mean, if Emilia Clarke, of all people, passed on it...), and a supporting role in that HBO miniseries with Reese and Nicole.

On top of that she was cast in Spider-Man (with that expectation of that being to her what X-Men is to JLaw) and then got cut from the movie. She definitely could've made better choices as to which franchises to latch herself onto, that's for sure.

Well, the average rating is 4.1/10, or basically 2 stars out of 5, which is not so much "it's bad" as just "it's not good." 10% score with a 4.1 rating = nine out of 10 critics say this movie is "not good." (Although there are quite a few that say it is indeed just flat out bad. I think one review actually gave 0/5.)

It's now 11 out of 106...

Edited by Nutterbutter

Just now, filmlover said:

She definitely could've made better choices as to which franchises to latch herself onto, that's for sure.

How? She signed on for this one and Spider-Man, which almost any working actress would have killed for. 

Luckily for Shailene, very few could possibly hold her accountable for this series' decline/WTFailure, as most reviews of the previous movies and a few for this one attributed her performance as one of the few bright spots in the films -- unlike KStew, whose "performance" was usually labeled as one of the main reasons those movies were bad.

• Like 1

Just now, RichWS said:

How? She signed on for this one and Spider-Man, which almost any working actress would have killed for. 

I guess it's all matter of luck, I suppose.

Like, JLaw got super lucky she landed the right projects. Imagine where her career would be now if she turned down The Hunger Games and accepted the Blake Lively role in Savages and the Juno Temple role in Killer Joe (roles that she was offered and didn't do jack for either of those actresses careers), and then followed those up with the aborted flop that was Serena.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Early estimates: http://deadline.com/2016/03/allegiant-weekend-box-office-zootopia-miracles-from-heaven-1201722489/

Allegiant 11.57M

Zootopia 8.5M

Miracles 4.5M

Deadpool 6-6.5M Weekend

There is one critical assumption Deadline is making here, and it is that the core young girl demographic they mention shows up to watch the movie tonight, and I feel whether that happens comes down to this: What is the reaction on social media to Allegiant?