CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

16 minutes ago, kitik said:

Do you understand that Avengers was as big as it was because it featured IM, Cap, Thor, and Hulk all in the same movie together for the first time? Not because it was lighter in tone than the IM or Thor movies.

Do you understand JL is gonna be big because it will feature all these DC heroes together fighting a huge DC villain for the first time. And yeah it will be lighter in tone so it will have more repeat viewings and more accessable to the general audience

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Yeah....pretty much. That film kinda felt like DC was trying to be like Marvel with the bright colors and ligther tone....but instead ended up being a messy financial failure.

The dark tone worked wonders for the Nolan trilogy. So trying to replicate is smart, I think. They just need to hit the sweet spot with the critics/GA.

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Except there were some humorous bits between Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman. I think those interactions were the best thing in the movie. They could build on that aspect going forward.

That's true. I just don't have much faith in Snyder to pull it off.

7 minutes ago, mredman said:

So you speak for everybody now. How nice lol and yeah a lighter tone would work. Just look how serious Iron Man 1 was compared to TA. Its just your hate for this movie speaking wihout even looking objective on it. And so much double standards as well if you could not see Iron man, Cap was much darker than Thor or TA, Ant-Man, GOTG or The Avengers movies

None of the films are anywhere near MoS and BvS in tone. And you can't convince me that people are excited for Aquaman and Cyborg.

6 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

BvS's 2nd weekend under HP: DH2's 2nd weekend?

The main factor DH2 dropped very much on it's 2nd weekend is:

1. Being frontloaded due to the genre that film is.

2. The first CA came out on HP's second weekend.

Stronger summer weekdays tend to hurt the weekend holds too.

5 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

You know who a happier superhero is. Superman.

He will be that guy too now that he has the full support by the people after the incident in BvS notso much weight on his shoulders anymore now he will feel like he will belong.

5 minutes ago, Focus said:

BvS is directly tied in with JL and the the Ultimate Cut of BvS is R-Rated, a fun light-hearted tone would be a jarring shift.

Clearly they won't be adding laughs. That would of had to be baked in. I used Excalibur as an example because it effectively navigates the extremes (to great effect) and is referenced in the opening. I thought because of the opening sequence this movie was heading that way. Now I see it differently. Looking forward to the ultimate cut.

Ironically, Excalibur has an R and PG cut. 

Also ironically, the end of Excalibur was edited down because the original 3rd act was a bit overwrought I'd say. 

I figured out the batfleck though. 

#Hitchcock

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Stronger summer weekdays tend to hurt the weekend holds too.

I'm not sure that's true.  Compare the first four weeks of GotG and Cap2.  The weekends are basically the same, diff is the weekdays, and they have similarly good reception overall even if they are very different movies.

5 minutes ago, mredman said:

He will be that guy too now that he has the full support by the people after the incident in BvS notso much weight on his shoulders anymore now he will feel like he will belong.

I think you missed my point. We didn't get a happier Superman. I have no faith that we'll get a happy Flash, or Cyborg, or Aquaman. Terrio can say all he likes about it being lighter, but I have no faith in him, or Snyder, or WB to provide these things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

I'm not sure that's true.  Compare the first four weeks of GotG and Cap2.  The weekends are basically the same, diff is the weekdays, and they have similarly good reception overall even if they are very different movies.

If Guardians was an April release, it would have had stronger weekend holds and smaller weekdays. It was a significantly bigger movie than Winter Solider with stronger WOM among the general audience.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I think you missed my point. We didn't get a happier Superman. I have no faith that we'll get a happy Flash, or Cyborg, or Aquaman. Terrio can say all he likes about it being lighter, but I have no faith in him, or Snyder, or WB to provide these things.

Good. Hoping DC never turns Marvelous. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

29 minutes ago, kitik said:

there really, really should be a BvS over/under Deadpool thread

make it happen Tele (or CJohn or Baumer or whoever)

Couple things, there is an informal rule that you don't start total clubs/comparisons after projects have released. 2nd we have this: 

1 minute ago, SWXII said:

Good. Hoping DC never turns Marvelous. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Sooo many ways I could take and respond to that. so I'll pick one.

You hope DC never turns critically and commercially successful with nearly a decade of films that are generally well liked by the general audience?

• Like 4