CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't see BvS's reviews making a jot of difference to Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman, both films will stand on their own merits.

Why wouldn't this matter I'm curious? If it's not well recieved with a lot of the same characters how is that just as likely right now?

So here's the question for me.  Just from what I'm hearing, this does not sound like a particularly family friendly movie.  How much is this going to affect Zootopia's drops this weekend.

Personally, just based on what I've seen (and the fact that an R-rated cut apparently exists and pisses me off if what I've heard about it is true), I would never take my roommate's nieces and nephews to see this.  I don't know if many people feel the same way, but if so I don't think Zootopia has much to worry about, despite the number of people talking about how this movie would cut its legs out from under it with families.

2 minutes ago, Sal said:

So here's the question for me.  Just from what I'm hearing, this does not sound like a particularly family friendly movie.  How much is this going to affect Zootopia's drops this weekend.

Personally, just based on what I've seen (and the fact that an R-rated cut apparently exists and pisses me off if what I've heard about it is true), I would never take my roommate's nieces and nephews to see this.  I don't know if many people feel the same way, but if so I don't think Zootopia has much to worry about, despite the number of people talking about how this movie would cut its legs out from under it with families.

I don't think BVS would cut the legs from ZOOTOPIA regardless... it's clearly more of a strong PG-13 and a lot of parents would keep small kids away (even if they allow their older kids to go see BVS). The only way BVS might hurt it is just theater losses.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Maybe. But there is a huge leap in assuming that anger and frustration towards Snyder's movies automatically extend towards the entire universe. SUICIDE SQUAD will be the first test -- I know it's not in the direct timeline of BVS/JL but it still features major DC characters -- and WW will be the first huge test. But Snyder is not making WW and with any cinematic universe there's a huge range of styles and attitudes you can take while still making it feel part of an organic whole.

Will the DCU feel like that organic whole? I dunno.

Will JL bear the brunt of BVS's reception? Probably. But even then you're basically looking at a situation like going from PJ's LOTR to PJ's HOBBIT. It's an awful lot of money to make.

The Hobbit is probably the best example, it wasn't well received compared to LOTR and decreased per film but it still made boatloads of money. DC is too valuable for WB to give up on and worse case scenario is that they change directors for JL2 but I imagine they won't make any decisions until they see how the films that are not BvS first.

A non film related scenario was when Les Miserables opened in London in 1985, it got horrendous reviews but was loved by the public and is still one of the longest running musical and likewise with Wicked which got mixed reviews but is also a billion dollar grossing property.

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

BvS is only gonna help Wonder Woman. I am 100% sure about that.

I think if WB moves Wonder Woman to either March or August then I think provided it's good, could do very well at least OW wise.

Edited by Jonwo

4 minutes ago, Sal said:

Zoptopia is a monster no matter what BvS is doing it will still he just fine

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

Baumer was mentioning "fanboy driven franchises" - I was just mentioning a counterexample. I know a lot of Zoolander fans who didn't go to Zoolander 2 due to the terrible reviews.

Zoolander 2 was a sequel to a movie that was always more of a cult hit than a mainstream one that came far too late. It needed to arrive in 2006/2007 if it wanted the highest chance of succeeding. So not a good example.

We've already set our plans to see Batman v Superman this weekend. My expectations are...low. Not that they were ever high to begin with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

Baumer was mentioning "fanboy driven franchises" - I was just mentioning a counterexample. I know a lot of Zoolander fans who didn't go to Zoolander 2 due to the terrible reviews.

Well I have hated most of the better reviewed movies this year and enjoyed a lot of the badly reviewed ones. So I will give this a shot. I still can't believe how badly the Boy was reviewed. That movie was great. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think if WB moves Wonder Woman to either March or August then I think provided it's good, could do very well at least OW wise.

Wonder Woman is gonna be fine where it is right now. The hype is gonna be pretty high for it unless WB absolutely fucks up the marketing campaign. 

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Seeing too many good to great reactions from normal viewers to think this is a typical sub 40% RT film.

I would understand a rating similar to MoS but 30% is quite absurd tbh. It is a divisive movie. 

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Wonder Woman is gonna be fine where it is right now. The hype is gonna be pretty high for it unless WB absolutely fucks up the marketing campaign. 

Being against Transformers 5 and sandwiched between Cars 3 and DM3 isn't going to help. The fact WB have scheduled an event film for August 11th makes me think that they're planning to move one of their 2017 tentpoles

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Being against Transformers 5 and sandwiched between Cars 3 and DM3 isn't going to help. The fact WB have scheduled an event film for August 11th makes me think that they're planning to move one of their 2017 tentpoles

There is nothing to worry about. I am quite confident in the Wonder Woman movie now. It won't surprise me if it beats Man of Steel. It needs to have great WOM and a fantastic marketing campaign, tho. 

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

There is nothing to worry about. I am quite confident in the Wonder Woman movie now. It won't surprise me if it beats Man of Steel. It needs to have great WOM and a fantastic marketing campaign, tho. 

Id take that bet (on it not beating MOS).

Edited by GiantCALBears

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Id take that bet.

We are more than 1 year away. There is not bet to take. In fact, my post makes it pretty clear what must happen for me to think it has a shot at that. And one part of it involves WOM which we will only know more about after the OW.