CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

To people who have watched TJB: how's the 3D? Is it worth paying the extra charge?

Normally I'd just look for a 2D screening, but I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to Avatar and Life of Pi thrown around, regarding its CGI and immersion. And that got me a little interested.

53 minutes ago, movieboner said:

With all that money, I wonder what's the next franchise Disney will prey on. My guess is James Bond, after Sony loses the film rights, they'll probably buy it out with the highest bid.

Highly doubt it since it's not a family-friendly franchise they can market to death in the parks.

My guess is Warner will get it since they have a current relationship with MGM (they distributed If I Stay, Hot Pursuit, Creed and now Barbershop 3 which were all MGM productions).

Edited by department store basement

2 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

To people who have watched TJB: how's the 3D? Is it worth paying the extra charge?

Normally I'd just look for a 2D screening, but I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to Avatar and Life of Pi thrown around, regarding its CGI and immersion. And that got me a little interested.

The 3D is worth it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

If in IMAX, I would say absolutely. You could feel the depth and since so much of it is CGI it helped enhance the experience a lot. I usually am not a fan of 3D either.

But as far as like amusement park 3D? Nothing really pops out at you until they try a few tricks in the credits. 

http://www.bustle.com/articles/154178-jungle-book-in-3d-is-an-absolute-must-in-order-to-fully-experience-the-breathtaking-film

We live in a very bizarre time when a movie that made $800M WW is considered an abomination of outsized proportions.

TASM2 cost $250M and it barely did $700M WW and nobody made a pip.

ASM2 was a failure, it forced Sony to reboot that series only after two movies with Andrew Garfield.

• Like 4

What if Disney had Harry Potter? What would they do differently? Just curious.

I can never be pissed at WB despite my dislike of their DCEU vision. It's a studio that did not fuck up Potter (maybe they should start with this in every shareholder meeting). HP got the maturity, respect and life it deserved from a studio that has been said to be an 'artists studio' (I don't know if that is true but @Telemachos - and anyone who has the understanding/wishes to take a stab - can clarify how they are different in that regard, if at all?). They gave in to Nolan's Batman vision too. Hope FB and SS do gangbusters this year.

Edited by a2knet

Just now, a2knet said:

What if Disney had Harry Potter? What would they do differently? Just curious.

I can never be pissed at WB despite my dislike of their DCEU vision. It's a studio that did not fuck up Potter (maybe they should start with this in every shareholder meeting). HP got the maturity, respect and life it deserved from a studio that has been said to be an 'artists studio' (I don't know if that is true but @Telemachos - and anyone who wishes to take a stab - can clarify how they are different in that regard, if at all?). They gave in to Nolan's Batman vision too. Hope FB and SS do gangbusters this year.

They would franchise it beyond what Rowling would be comfortable with.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

They would franchise it beyond what Rowling would be comfortable with.

After a while, the best way to keep a franchise relevant is though capitalism.

And fans get what they want in the process.

It's a win-win.

Ask any Star Wars or Marvel fan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Can you please elaborate on that?

1. They would want to do what they're doing with Star Wars and make a lot of anthology movies.

2. Rowling went to Disney first for The Wizarding World. Disney wanted to add their own merchandise into the land and Rowling didn't want that so she went to Universal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

After a while, the best way to keep a franchise relevant is though capitalism.

And fans get what they want in the process.

It's a win-win.

Ask any Star Wars or Marvel fan.

Havent they only had one Star Wars movie? Bit premature to ask them then. 

2nd Writethru Sat. 11:25 PM: When the dust clears tomorrow, Disney’s The Jungle Book will likely be the No. 2 April opener of all time only behind 2011’s Furious 7 which took in $147.1M last year. If estimates hold, The Jungle Book’s three-day gross will be anywhere from $101M to $103M and it could go higher by Sunday night. Either way, it will surpass Captain America: The Winter Soldier which grabbed $95M in April, 2104 to take the second spot. Previous estimates had the picture’s three-day gross at $87M to $88M.

Incredibly well reviewed and with an A CinemaScore from an audience pretty evenly divided among young and old, male and female, the Jon Favreau-directed CGI/live-action take on the Disney classic has stayed strong since its Thursday night previews where it grabbed $4.2M, through matinees and had a $32.4M Friday. Now it just chalked up a much better than expected Saturday with an estimated $41.5M to $42M, up 29% from yesterday. The grosses could fly higher depending on Sunday. Oh, and by the way, tracking for this picture which had it at around $75M is, once again, in the toilet. In fact, we had people arguing with us last week that it wouldn’t hit over $85M. Heavy sigh.

Openers as of Saturday night:

1). The Jungle Book (DIS), 4,028 theaters / $32.4M Fri. (includes $4.2M previews) / $42M Sat. (+29%) / 3-day cume: $101M to $103M / Wk 1

2). Barbershop: The Next Cut (WB), 2,661 theaters / $7M Fri. (includes $735K previews) / $8.25M Sat. (+18%) / 3-day cume: $20.4M / Wk 1

6). Criminal (LGF), 2,683 theaters / $2M Fri. / $2.3M Sat. (+13%) / 3-day cume: $5.8M / Wk 1

http://deadline.com/2016/04/jungle-book-goes-wild-85m-to-88m-barbershop-snips-about-20m-criminal-box-office-friday-1201738755/

• Like 3