CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Let's agree, if we ignore the marketing, the posters, the trailer, the actual movie and the main TV spots, then this is basically a Captain America movie and should be judged based on CA2

However, every single OS number has been compared to Ultron by Marvel themselves, not the press. Marvel released OS numbers comparing them to Ultron's OS numbers, not CA2's OS numbers. To turn around now after comparing it to Ultron at the box office to suddenly say it increases on CA2 is somewhat ridiculous. 

I stopped reading your post here. You're being ridiculous and slightly patronizing.

Have you seen the.movie? Because it is so very clearly a CA movie. The tone(one scene notwithstanding) is nowhere near that of the Avengers movies. The film is mature and takes itself very seriously and obviously takes its cues from the winter soldier. Everything from the lack of jokes, the realistic very human non cartoon villain, the grittiness of the fight scenes, and the serious approach to the material. The Avengers are pure superhero films while the Russos are making political action thrillers that just so happen to star a guy dressed in a American flag.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ohana said:

Srsly, It's not a Captain America movie

If it was it wouldn't open with 180M

Everyone knew It's another Avengers movie empowered with Spiderkid and Black Panther and that's the only reason it's opening

85M above the last CA.

It's both, it's primarily a Captain America movie following the themes of the previous CA films, but it is also a (relatively slightly smaller scale) Avengers film.

Whether anyone thinks the film is CA 3 or Avengers 2.5, the film is doing well, marvelously well. 

Edited by Yandereprime101189

CW is an Avenger movie in all but name. Not only was it marketed as such, but it features almost all the Avengers with the debuts of Black Panther and Spiderman. If it only featured Iron Man then it would still be a Captain America film.

The numbers are great though.

Just now, MarcusG said:

Went on break at work. Saw the number. Thought, "Ehh, just another ho-hum 60M Saturday." Realized I'd gone insane. Went ahead and pointed out to myself that if you count the Thursday, this would just barely beat the second weekend record.

Second weekend record?

5 minutes ago, Focus said:

CW is an Avenger movie in all but name. Not only was it marketed as such, but it features almost all the Avengers with the debuts of Black Panther and Spiderman. If it only featured Iron Man then it would still be a Captain America film.

The numbers are great though.

Second weekend record?

I haven't timed it but I'm pretty sure the charcters that weren't in TWS have about 20m worth of screen time in the movie(not counting the airport battle) and that does not make a Avengers film. It's a extended cameo. BP is the biggest of the non-TWS characters.(and the best IMO)

Iron Man does not count. He is the antagonist.

Edited by eddyxx

18 minutes ago, MarcusG said:

Went on break at work. Saw the number. Thought, "Ehh, just another ho-hum 60M Saturday." Realized I'd gone insane. Went ahead and pointed out to myself that if you count the Thursday, this would just barely beat the second weekend record.

Yes only the 5th movie to ever gross $60m+ on Saturday is "ho-hum."

1 minute ago, Caladbolg said:

Yes only the 5th movie to ever gross $60m+ on Saturday is "ho-hum."

LOL, also if you cut out one day from an OW, pretty much every movie's # will look like shit except may TFA

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Sure, why the fuck not? He's obviously the most popular of the Marvel characters.

And damn, I didn't know Iron Man was going to be in the new Spider-Man movie. That actually kind of disappoints me.

You're disappointed with Iron Man and Spider-Man in the same movie? How does that not excite the inner child in you?

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

You're disappointed with Iron Man and Spider-Man in the same movie? How does that not excite the inner child in you?

Well, Spider-Man was a much bigger part of my childhood than Iron Man. I wanted Spidey to stay special, rather than one among a huge cast.

Just now, eddyxx said:

I haven't timed it but I'm pretty sure the charcters that weren't in TWS have about 20m worth of screen time in the movie(not counting the airport battle) and that does not make a Avengers film. It's a extended cameo. BP is the biggest of the non-TWS characters.(and the best IMO)

Iron Man does not count. He is the antagonist.

20 minutes is beyond extended cameo. And you're excluding the airport scene.

And how does the antagonist (one of the most important character in any story), not count?

Edited by Focus

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, Spider-Man was a much bigger part of my childhood than Iron Man. I wanted Spidey to stay special, rather than one among a huge cast.

Then rewatch ASM2. You'll always have electro dubstep.

The human obsession with round numbers got the best of some of you.

200 means nothing in itself really.

It s just  a number, that looks beautiful and sounds great because this is how our brain works.

180 is a gigantic opening that 4 studios from the big six can only dream of.

Same shit as last year with Ultron, a movie doens't reach your magic 200 round number and the doom talk starts and disappointment & Flop War etc ...

Also, this movie does these huge numbers after two other giant superhero movies already openened in the last 3 months, something that has never happened before (please correct me if I am wrong here)

And the other big superhero movie had the exact same premise as Civil War and was released just 6 weeks ago, yet people showed up in droves.

Another unique situation.

Jurassic World OW last year instilled a poison in some of you, it made you think that a 200M opening week end is a walk in the park.

Guess what ?

It s not.

Summer started with a fucking bang and it s probably the biggest OW of 2016.

Marvel is still King of the Castle.

:)

• Like 4

In hindsight, we should've seen JW grossing more than what was expected. Zero competition, franchise with massive awareness, Chris Pratt's newly minted star power...

Even then, I don't think ANYONE would've predicted $200M+. That was insane. One of the craziest box-office weekends I've ever seen, numbers just kept going up and up and up during Friday. 

Edited by Truckasaurus