CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

1 hour ago, wileECoyote said:

Still catching up with the thread but all in all a solid start.   Originally had it at IM3 numbers then 180 and after the reviews 190.  OS numbers were pointing around 180.  So overall, it met my earlier expectations.  I still think that this has a good chance to beat AoU for final DOM.

As as for marketing. Yeah it was pushed as Avengers 2.5.  The cast, press tours, posters, ads (United We Stand...).  Hard not to see that they were pushing Cap v Iron Man. The movie itself though is still very much a Captain America movie, with a lot of supporting character, and a great one at that. 

Catching it again tonight at 7:30 and may watch with brother and sister in law tomorrow.

Glad someone feels like I do.

So all of the sudden it's a solo Cap movie?

All of the hype was about the Avengers face-off, Iron-Man, Black Panther and ofc Spiderman

Many here needs to be at least honest with the line they went through all these weeks

Captain America is the last superhero 90% here (and anywhere else) talked about, and now when it's underperforming its suddenly Captain America 3.

180M is great but It is a fact that this movie is underperforming with all the positive huge factors it had, snap out of the denial.

• Like 4

Was it too rainy? Was it too sunny? Mother's Day? Do women even like this stuff? Avengers or Captain America movie? Were people confused? Did it screen too early? Maybe the great reviews actually HURT it? No Hurt bounce? Or did it? What is God?

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Ohana said:

All of the hype was about the Avengers face-off, Iron-Man, Black Panther and ofc Spiderman

Many here needs to be at least honest with the line they went through all these weeks

Captain America is the last superhero 90% here (and anywhere else) talked about, and now when it's underperforming its suddenly Captain America 3.

180M is great but It is a fact that this movie is underperforming with all the positive huge factors it had, snap out of the denial.

LOL

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Was it too rainy? Was it too sunny? Mother's Day? Do women even like this stuff? Avengers or Captain America movie? Were people confused? Did it screen too early? Maybe the great reviews actually HURT it? No Hurt bounce? Or did it? What is God?

Did Toxic WOM kick in early?

6 minutes ago, RichWS said:

God is Love.

Just now, Rman823 said:

Can we not just say it's half Captain America sequel and half Avengers sequel and be done with it. 

LOL you can say whatever you like.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Reviosionism alert. Yeah this is a good number but comparing it to the previous Cap movies is dumb. This is an AVENGERS film and marketed as such 

For marketing yes. The actual movie....not really. It's nothing like them.

If you call this an Avengers movie then you'd sort of have to call The Winter Soldier that too. Outside of the big airport scene most of the plot is focused on a small group of characters. Before it happens the focus is on a small group of characters (some who were already part of The Winter Solider) and after it, the focus is back on those characters with the rest being shown very briefly. The main thing the movie never loses sight of is Tonys conflict with Steve.

Actually, I guess it kind of is because of what's said during the climax and Civil War is a must view part of the story if you follow these characters. I dunno though.

The Avengers movies are way lighter in tone. This was a lot more serious.

Edited by somebody85

15 minutes ago, Ohana said:

The movie was sold with the fight between the Avengers.

Edited by Belakor

13 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Can we not just say it's half Captain America sequel and half Avengers sequel and be done with it. 

That's the best way I'd describe it too. Civil War has ramifications on the entire MCU but the movie I'd most compare it to is TWS in tone. It's a much darker movie then a lot expect.

If this were The Avengers 3, there would have been way more scenes like the Airport set piece.

But yeah it sort of is and isn't an Avengers movie. The marketing focused on them battling each other not a main threat. Again I dunno, I'd call it Marvel: Civil War because a lot of these characters haven't had big roles in the Avengers movies.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2