The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

I really need to watch more pre-80's movies, but otherwise my list is surprisingly balanced.

1940's: 4

1950's: 5 (1)

1960's: 6 (1)

1970's: 9

1980's: 14 (2)

1990's: 21 (2)

2000's: 21 (2)

2010's: 20 (2)

(The numbers in brackets are how many of the films were in my top 10)

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 1

Number 69

Rocky (1975)

36 Points (13 Votes, Avg Score 38.6154)

Rocky_poster.jpg

"Apollo Creed vs. the Italian Stallion. Sounds like a damn monster movie."

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (88, +19)

Tomatometer: 93%

Box Office: 117.24m (472.24m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 3 Oscars, including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: Rocky Balboa is a struggling boxer trying to make the big time, working as a debt collector for a pittance. When heavyweight champion Apollo Creed visits Philadelphia, his managers want to set up an exhibition match between Creed and a struggling boxer, touting the fight as a chance for a "nobody" to become a "somebody". The match is supposed to be easily won by Creed, but someone forgot to tell Rocky, who sees this as his only shot at the big time.

Critic Opinion: "On top of all that came before it, there's the nicely filmed boxing match at the conclusion. We feel every blow and we're rooting for Rocky all the way. Even now after seeing it many, many times, I still found myself in Rocky's corner, hoping he can find it within himself to stand strong and take what's thrown at him.  And speaking of emotional moments. If when Rocky is screaming out Adrian's name at the climax, if you don't get a little choked up, then you must be dead inside.  Of course this wasn't just Rocky's shot at the big time, it was also Stallone's. Maybe he never quite lived up to the quality that this movie promised, choosing instead to go a more commercial route, but you can't deny that here at least he created a work of art that will stand the test of time. " - Scott Nash

User Opinion: "One of my favorites, definitely in my top 10, great performances, great acting and a great story, and the overall feel good tone make it one of the best sports movies ever. This movie also gives me a lot of motivation to go workout and just keep going." - tommycruise

Personal Comment: Here comes that other boxing film that I alluded to in my comment on Raging Bull.  Rocky marks the third movie to make the list from the 70s, and it marks the highlight of the career of the star actor Sylvester Stallone who has managed to get both of his two Oscar nominations from the character created in this movie.  Rocky is the epitome of inspirational feel good movies, and it is a blockbuster classic that very few films are able to match in the minds and hearts of audiences.

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 69

Rocky (1975)

36 Points (13 Votes, Avg Score 38.6154)

Rocky_poster.jpg

"Apollo Creed vs. the Italian Stallion. Sounds like a damn monster movie."

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (88, +19)

Tomatometer: 93%

Box Office: 117.24m (472.24m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 3 Oscars, including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: Rocky Balboa is a struggling boxer trying to make the big time, working as a debt collector for a pittance. When heavyweight champion Apollo Creed visits Philadelphia, his managers want to set up an exhibition match between Creed and a struggling boxer, touting the fight as a chance for a "nobody" to become a "somebody". The match is supposed to be easily won by Creed, but someone forgot to tell Rocky, who sees this as his only shot at the big time.

Critic Opinion: "On top of all that came before it, there's the nicely filmed boxing match at the conclusion. We feel every blow and we're rooting for Rocky all the way. Even now after seeing it many, many times, I still found myself in Rocky's corner, hoping he can find it within himself to stand strong and take what's thrown at him.  And speaking of emotional moments. If when Rocky is screaming out Adrian's name at the climax, if you don't get a little choked up, then you must be dead inside.  Of course this wasn't just Rocky's shot at the big time, it was also Stallone's. Maybe he never quite lived up to the quality that this movie promised, choosing instead to go a more commercial route, but you can't deny that here at least he created a work of art that will stand the test of time. " - Scott Nash

User Opinion: "One of my favorites, definitely in my top 10, great performances, great acting and a great story, and the overall feel good tone make it one of the best sports movies ever. This movie also gives me a lot of motivation to go workout and just keep going." - tommycruise

Personal Comment: Here comes that other boxing film that I alluded to in my comment on Raging Bull.  Rocky marks the third movie to make the list from the 70s, and it marks the highlight of the career of the star actor Sylvester Stallone who has managed to get both of his two Oscar nominations from the character created in this movie.  Rocky is the epitome of inspirational feel good movies, and it is a blockbuster classic that very few films are able to match in the minds and hearts of audiences.

FUCK MARK RYLANCE.

THE DREAM IS DEAD.

:ohmyzod::angry::(

• Like 4

Number 68

Marvel's The Avengers (2012)

36 Points (15 Votes, Avg Score 48.8)

MV5BMTk2NTI1MTU4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg0

"Puny God."

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Changes in Ranking Over Time: 2014 (11, -57), 2013 (37, -21), 2012 (31, -27)

Tomatometer: 92%

Box Office: 623.36m (659.64m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: Nick Fury is the director of S.H.I.E.L.D., an international peace-keeping agency. The agency is a who's who of Marvel Super Heroes, with Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow. When global security is threatened by Loki and his cohorts, Nick Fury and his team will need all their powers to save the world from disaster.

Critic Opinion: "The real appeal of "The Avengers" goes far beyond comic book origins.  It directly taps into our collective 9/11 memories and transforms them into comic book mythology.  Just as a diverse and divided American populace became a unified force following the assault on New York City more than a decade ago, the six Avengers likewise drop their petty differences when faced with a deadly attack against the Big Apple.

That's why the movie's most emotional moment occurs not during the final battle, but just before, when the divided superheroes come together to fight for a cause more important than themselves." - Dann Gire

User Opinion: "It was amazing. The comedy was perfect. Hulk stole the last half of the movie. It is a shame that they kind of turned Loki into a joke with the Hulk/Iron Man stuff in the 2nd half. Still, he was an amazing villian. The best of these Marvel movies so far. Tom Hiddleston is perfect for this role." - CJohn

Personal Comment: And here comes the last of the five Marvel movies to make the list, just barely edging out Guardians of the Galaxy.  The Avengers also marks the 9th movie from the 2010s decade to make the list, giving the decade a 2 movie lead over the 80s for most on the countdown so far.  The Avengers was the box office smash that turned the MCU into a moderately successful franchise with one big property, to absolute money-making machine that it is now.  The movie is beloved by many and is one many people's favorites when it comes to comic book movies.

• Like 13