WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

The Nice Guys is great, that's why we can't have good things most of the time. Hope it does better overseas, it has sequel potential, but doesn't look like it's going to happen. Must be pretty depressing for Shane Black, stupid GA

Edited by TimmyRiggins

CW Bo.com's prediction 1st WE: 214 M   -------ACTUALS 179 M

CW Bo.com's prediction 2nd WE: 81 M ----------  ACTUALS 72 M

CW Bo.com's prediction 3RD WE: 41 M  ------- PREDICTED 34-35 M

It look like Bo.com is predicting, what it would like it to do, and not what it will actually do

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Filmovie said:

CW Bo.com's prediction 1st WE: 214 M   -------ACTUALS 179 M

CW Bo.com's prediction 2nd WE: 81 M ----------  ACTUALS 72 M

CW Bo.com's prediction 3RD WE: 41 M  ------- PREDICTED 34-35 M

It look like Bo.com is predicting, what it would like it to do, and not what it will actually do

#neveragain will I believe them. lol

The problem with making adult themed films like nice guys is that there's very little teenage appeal to them because a lot of younger people just know they can get these movies on their Android box or at the flea market or they can legally download them for free. Why spend $12 on a movie that has no spaceships and special effects and superheroes when you can watch it for free about 2 or 3 days after it comes out? That is what the film industry has to deal with now

• Like 2

I shudder to think how poorly a film like A Few Good Men or A Time to Kill would do in today's climate. It would probably be open to something like 15 million and close out with around 60.

• Like 8

The problem with making adult themed films like nice guys is that there's very little teenage appeal to them because a lot of younger people just know they can get these movies on their Android box or at the flea market or they can legally download them for free. Why spend $12 on a movie that has no spaceships and special effects and superheroes when you can watch it for free about 2 or 3 days after it comes out? That is what the film industry has to deal with now

That's why the mid budget movies are now dead in Hollywood. Either you are a blockbusters that NEEDS to be seen in theaters, or you are some cheap budgeted indie movie.

• Like 2

That's also kind of a worryingly high midnight share for Nice Guys, nearly a fifth of its grosses came from previews, yikes that's high.

Either way, these numbers hurt. Hopefully in the fall this could have done better, I don't think I like a universe where Mother's Day outgrosses this.

*insert Ryan Gosling crying gif*

• Like 3

5 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

That bet is a done deal.

Double or nothing under $409,013,994?

You can upgrade your own account with your donation

Done :)

If it falls below IM3 I donate $20 to the site else you donate $60.

Our earlier bet around 415m is void.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Not only does NEIGHBORS 2 have a small prod budget (it will do >3x it's 35m budget WW), it will also give a bump to rentals/dvd/bray/etc of NEIGHBORS 1 before it's own auxiliary revenue kicks in.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Well the last comedy I watched in theaters was Hangover 2.

Paying 15 bucks to see a film that does not really matter if you see on a big screen or a cellphone, does not seem worth it to many.

This applies to many adult dramas too, they have big interest but many watch it on the computer or box. 

Like I am certain a film like Wolf of Wall Street 10 years ago would have sold a ton more tickets (was a good hit regardless).

Adult dramas and comedies still do well but not as well as before. 

Rare examples like the Leo Bear film and American Sniper 

20 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I shudder to think how poorly a film like A Few Good Men or A Time to Kill would do in today's climate. It would probably be open to something like 15 million and close out with around 60.

And those you mentioned were beloved high grossing films with larger commercial prospects. Imagine what a beloved, harder-to-market film that never made a killing at the box office to begin with would make today. I guess Thelma & Louise would probably end up with a 20 million dollar gross and The Grifters  and Dangerous Liaisons would close with 10 million dollars a piece. :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Like I am certain a film like Wolf of Wall Street 10 years ago would have sold a ton more tickets (was a good hit regardless).

Adult dramas and comedies still do well but not as well as before. 

Rare examples like the Leo Bear film and American Sniper 

You mention great examples that makes one wonder about the whole star system. Maybe Leo is indeed the last great movie star alive. I cannot imagine something like The Revenant being a big hit withe anyone else in the lead but him. I seriously thought that film would flop...

• Like 7

Just now, Cochofles said:

You mention great examples that makes one wonder about the whole star system. Maybe Leo is indeed the last great movie star alive. I cannot imagine something like The Revenant being a big hit withe anyone else in the lead but him. I seriously thought that film would flop...

Without Leo no way that film did over 100 million 

• Like 3

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Without Leo no way that film did over 100 million 

I think Leo has brilliantly built a brand all of his own, and his brand has consistently compelled adult audiences to support his films. Solid directors always want to work with him and solid scripts are routinely given to him. Think about his filmography and how many of his films are heavy dramas with zero teen appeal or high-concepts, and they still make bank. Kinda ironic for someone who in the nineties became the ultimate teenage pinup dreamboat thanks to Romeo + Juliet and Titanic.

• Like 2