WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Not to mention that BvS & Civil War have the same premises.

Also 2014

Winter Soldier : 258

Days of Future Past : 233

Spidey 2 : 200

2016 :

Deadpool : 360

BvS : 328

Civil War : 400

Apocalypse : 180

1,27B

Welcome to the market saturation world people.

Apocalypse should have come out in July, IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moviesRus said:

Just anecdotal, but talking to my casual moviegoer friends, a lot of them don't relate well at all to Captain America (I can imagine it's even worse overseas) and only liked Winter Soldier cause of the supporting cast. The GA is not like the internet nerd crowd that loves Cap. 

I remeber when the first Avenger came out, most thought at the time thought a character with "America" in his name would be an issue overseas.

I believe it was a concern for the winter solider but it did better than most expected.

Is it possible that it was somewhat of a problem and limited the jump to the 1.2 or 1.3 billion?

1 minute ago, lobo007 said:

is going to the movies really so expensive now that families and couples (the other large demographics besides younger single males) can't afford to go once a month?  i don't really buy (no pun intended) that economics is the reason movie viewership might be going down, unless piracy erosion really is a thing and it could be.  i tend not to go because nothing really grabs my interest (i have to be pretty hyped up for a movie to go), or because as someone mentioned before, only blockbusters can really bring in business as no one really feels a need to go to a theater for a small or mid budget film (and these are the films that don't need HD rips, which take longer to appear, to enjoy).

Personally speaking: bingo!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It did as well as it could being a niche title.

Apart from its R-rating it seemed like it had a fairly broad appeal. The marketing certainly wasn't subtle.

No idea if the movie's actually good, but from an industry perspective a mid-budget, well-reviewed adult-oriented film doing badly always feels like another nail in the coffin to me.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Not to mention that BvS & Civil War have the same premises.

Also 2014

Winter Soldier : 258

Days of Future Past : 233

Spidey 2 : 200

2016 :

Deadpool : 360

BvS : 328

Civil War : 400

1.09B

Welcome to the market saturation world people.

As I said:

Avengers : 623M

Spiderman: 262M

TDKR: 448M

Total 1.33B

Now correct me if I am mistaken, but I think 1.3 billion is more than 1.1 billion.

Just now, Hatebox said:

Apart from its R-rating it seemed like it had a fairly broad appeal. The marketing certainly wasn't subtle.

No idea if the movie's actually good, but from an industry perspective a mid-budget, well-reviewed adult film doing badly always feels like another nail in the coffin to me.

It's a quirky 70s action comedy. That alone limited its appeal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

The Lobster being a hit is one of the few glimmers of hope of this mehtastic weekend, honestly.

Yup, nice to see that. Can't believe how long it took to get to the States - I saw it in London last October.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Was on 645m OS last weekend.

This week it added 61m (30.3 weekdays + 30.7m weekend) more, taking the OS to 706m.

So is just 44m away from 750m. It should happen imo.

I think it will make 50-55m more for 756-761m final, which is 45-50m behind IM3's 806m.

(It's trailing IM3 by ~30m right now. It was trailing by 20m last weekend. So the gap increased by a big 10m in just 1 week. Will probably increase by 15-20m more in the entire remaining run)

756-761m/409-414m/1.165-1.175b

It was just 5% behind ULTRON on its opening weekend. It will finish way lower in the end. Still big numbers, though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's made a ton of money, but honestly everyone expected more, not just Marvel diehards. Look at the tracking, look at all the predictions. 

Pfft, I wasn't in the net a lot the last few months (and if, than mostly not at BO sites or even English written sites for some reason, so please be aware, my English could be a bit worse than usual) and as such not hyped so... overly high by the last few weeks before release, of/by website's predictions seemingly expecting higher and higher numbers.

Me, I took a look at CA1 and CA2 numbers, the IMHO rather good reputation of CA2 ... and hoped for a bit more.

Like 10-20% more dom/ww.

After reading about Spidey also being in it maybe a bit more still, like hoped for maybe 25-35%+, for the curiousity factor and so on. Not mine, never was interested in his comics nor his movies.

= I should be more than surprised about what I read here today.

But I am not.

Because... it's not the first time a movie got overly estimated within the last few weeks.

CA3 (for now something over 1.5m admissions) here in Germany made seemingly already more than CA1

(339.797 admissions)  

and CA2 (823.228 admissions) together, this weekend the complete business is down based e.g. on good weather (finally!) and probably bcs. school holidays = people out of the country, so I have no idea how it's run will end.

I think that franchise movies part ?? might get more frontloaded in general, especially strongly if the mood they left the audience with is a bit less happy all around than others.

And when too similar movies or whatever are too near or... but that counts in general, each movie has it's own little or big reasons / group of reasons why it might perform in this or that way.

So me, I see no reason for 'excuses' needed, no underwhelming or whatever feelings seem to me reasonable.

Known budget x4+ and merchandise for Captain America seem to be everywhere and so on why would anyone be feeling disappointed?

OS CA 3 soon reaching CA 2 ww, and also soon reaching with it's dom's result the ww result of CA 1

CA 3

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $347,390,153    33.0%
Foreign:  $706,100,000    67.0%

Worldwide:  $1,053,490,153

and counting

CA 2

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $259,766,572    36.4%
Foreign:  $454,654,931    63.6%

Worldwide:  $714,421,503  

CA 1

Domestic:  $176,654,505    47.7%
Foreign:  $193,915,269    52.3%

Worldwide:  $370,569,774  

And nope, to me it wasn't an Averngers 2.5 movie, 2 founding main members missing, Hawkeye not that much there, no Nick Fury...

It has a lot of known and new characters, but not all of The typical Avengers characters. To me it's more a CA 3 movie with lots of IM added plus some new/recent introductions and so on.

I liked it.

• Like 2

More anecdotal evidence, but all my friends went to see Civil War because of Iron Man (none of them saw Winter Soldier in theaters) and we all know this only opened so big WW because of Iron Man being in it. But after seeing the movie, we realize this is in fact a Captain America movie, even if it was sold in a similar way to an Avengers movie (even though it has Captain America in the title). That may have hurt his legs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

is going to the movies really so expensive now that families and couples (the other large demographics besides younger single males) can't afford to go once a month?  i don't really buy (no pun intended) that economics is the reason movie viewership might be going down, unless piracy erosion really is a thing and it could be.  i tend not to go because nothing really grabs my interest (i have to be pretty hyped up for a movie to go), or because as someone mentioned before, only blockbusters can really bring in business as no one really feels a need to go to a theater for a small or mid budget film (and these are the films that don't need HD rips, which take longer to appear, to enjoy).

It's not just the ticket price. You need to buy food for a family of four. You need gas. That's a lot.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

And nope, to me it wasn't an Averngers 2.5 movie, 2 founding main members missing, Hawkeye not that much there, no Nick Fury...

I guess age of ultron was not a real avengers movie then.

• Like 3

Just now, Treetrunk Special said:

I guess age of ultron was not a real avengers movie then.

I am not sure why people keep insisting Civil War isn't an Avengers movie. Even Marvel sold it as one. Take out Iron Man and this wouldn't have made nearly as much as it did. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

As I said:

Avengers : 623M

Spiderman: 262M

TDKR: 448M

Total 1.33B

Now correct me if I am mistaken, but I think 1.3 billion is more than 1.1 billion.

:lol::D