WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

Just now, a2knet said:

It just had Netherlands left a while back. KFP2 had done 5.3m there. I don't know if it's released there but that was the only one remaining when I last checked 2-3 weeks or so back.

it released in holland 6 weeks ago and made 2.7M

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

There's only a few things in this entire world that aren't "optional." Shelter, healthcare, basic food, and water. Otherwise, everything is optional- including movie tickets. The real thing I don't understand is why you're being such a snobbish, judgmental ass to people who do things a little differently than you. It's really starting to get a bit much. 

Wearing clothes is optional???

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Isn't that something??? Just think if STAR WARS hadn't grossed what it did OW?? We probably wouldn't be seeing expectations for these event films seem so unrealistic, including myself here.. You just want that 1 movie to topple the other movie causing you to think irrationally when making these predictions, like my 225M OW Club for CIVIL WAR.. From this point on, the only movie that really stands a chance at passing 200M OW like it's no big deal is EPISODE VIII.. I'm even conceding right now that the Final AVENGERS movie won't pass 200M OW.. If CIVIL WAR couldn't do it with everything and the kitchen sink thrown in, along with great reviews, damn good WOM with Marketing that receives an "A+", then no superhero movie will...

i think Deadpool's success also played a part.  For a hard R rated movie with a relatively obscure character (compared to Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Ironman) and limited marketing and substantially smaller theater count with no IMAX or 3D to pull in nearly 150M for the 4-day weekend was incredible.  i don't know when it will happen again.  but yes SH movies are unlikely to hit 200M OW or 500M domestic anytime soon, just because of the inaccessibility of the current ones (people still need to have watched the numerous previous films to fully appreciate the newer ones) and lack of branding/recognition for the original ones.  maybe Batfleck's stand alone movie has a chance, maybe.

• Like 2

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Hide contents

Spoilers. ^^

So Dark Phoenix and Mr. Sinister?

Not really a spoiler. They introduce Jean Grey in this movie. I think everyone knows what they plan on doing next. 

Spoiler

Yes, you are correct. 

Just now, lobo007 said:

i think Deadpool's success also played a part.  For a hard R rated movie with a relatively obscure character (compared to Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Ironman) and limited marketing and substantially smaller theater count with no IMAX or 3D to pull in nearly 150M for the 4-day weekend was incredible.  i don't know when it will happen again.  but yes SH movies are unlikely to hit 200M OW or 500M domestic anytime soon, just because of the inaccessibility of the current ones (people still need to have watched the numerous previous films to fully appreciate the newer ones) and lack of branding/recognition for the original ones.  maybe Batfleck's stand alone movie has a chance, maybe.

It had IMAX. Everything else is correct. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I like eating while watching a movie. Judge me.

Me too. :) 

I'm just aware that I'm eating it because I like it, rather than pretending that I have some incessant need to do so.

Edited by Treetrunk Special

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Not really a spoiler. They introduce Jean Grey in this movie. I think everyone knows what they plan on doing next. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I really hope Fox doesn't ruin Sinister. I guess, the Lilandra saga is next huh.

• Like 1

Just now, eddyxx said:

Is the eating  while  watching  a movie thing , strictly American  like clapping,  or do people around  the world do this too? 

Clapping actually isn't a big thing here... Only seen it happen once or twice

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Hide contents

I really hope Fox doesn't ruin Sinister. I guess, the Lilandra saga is next huh.

Spoiler

In Bryan Singer we trust :P 

1 minute ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

When I bring you to America, we will see a movie in IMAX.. I'm sorry Portugal doesn't offer this cause you're truly missing out on a great experience.. I've seen CW now 5 times which is unprecedented for me and all because of this being in IMAX 2D before Noon and for $6.00.. My sister and I will be seeing it again tomorrow.. IMAX day crowds are pretty steady.. And I don't know about anyone else, but I thought the 3D for this movie wasn't needed..

Portugal has IMAX. 

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Let's also think about weekdays to keep things in perspective.

On paper it seems that after nearly the same weekend as IM3 (72.5 vs 72.6), CW showed a much bigger drop - 33.1 vs 35.7.

But Mon-Thu for CW was 18.3 vs 16.0 for IM3.

So Mon-Sun for CW is 18.3 + 33.1 = 51.4m and Mon-Sun for IM3 is 16.0 + 35.8 = 51.8m.

Nearly the same.

The gap on Tue itself was 1.3m in favor of CW (6m vs 4.7m). So Discount Tuesday is certainly taking away some from the weekend.

Keep Calm

and

Don't Mention

Piracy

I prefer looking at weekly numbers, CW led IM3 by 12.2M after the first week and increased it to 13.4M after the second week and now it is 10.1M ahead. Might come down to 7-8M lead before the 3rd week ends of it loses 500k daily over the next 4 days (very possible if it has the same drops).

Depending on the MD weekend hold (loses IMAX, PLF and some 3D screens as well) the gap may be just 3-5M coming out of the MD weekend holiday.

52 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

is going to the movies really so expensive now that families and couples (the other large demographics besides younger single males) can't afford to go once a month?  i don't really buy (no pun intended) that economics is the reason movie viewership might be going down, unless piracy erosion really is a thing and it could be.  i tend not to go because nothing really grabs my interest (i have to be pretty hyped up for a movie to go), or because as someone mentioned before, only blockbusters can really bring in business as no one really feels a need to go to a theater for a small or mid budget film (and these are the films that don't need HD rips, which take longer to appear, to enjoy).

In addition to the already mentioned points by others:

I know a lot of people who only go to the cinemas for 1-time viewings or for movies 'woth seeing on a big screen', like ide open nature, high speed pursuits, space / ocean battles or so. One reason is the annoyance about loud co-audience. We buy us nice home movie theater systems and usually can wait for the DVDs/Blu-Rays or similar (legal versions)

46 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

I guess age of ultron was not a real avengers movie then.

Not sure if to take seriously. It's always about the sum. No Thor, no Hulk...

And Hawkeye had more screentime in AoU than in CA 3. As he is in the comics my favourite Avenger out of the Avenger characters shown in the MCU movies I am a bit aware of that little detail.

35 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Compute everything. How much will it cost a family of four?

depends on the area. In a bigger city weekend afternoon 13€ per person = ~ $14.6, no $3 kiddi-popcorn availabale

Smallest soft drink = 0.5litre

smaller city / countryside 10€ per person and so on.

2D on cheap weekday or early matineee... a lot cheaper, but I forgot the price. Too often during school-time or whoilst duing weekly grocery runs or whatever.

27 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Terrestrial is back! Hey :)

It was marketed as an Avengers movie, it was kind of an Avenger movie, but it was missing some Avengers, and the focus was clearly on Cap.

Now, among all my friends, who wants to see a Cap-focused Avengers movie? Pretty much none. And just having some cool characters here and there isn't enough to convince them to see an otherwise Cap-centric story. Leaving the theater my friend said "I'm so fucking glad this was the last Captain America movie"

He loved the movie, he's incredibly excited for Spider-Man & Black Panther, but he just doesn't give a fuck about Cap. And he's not alone in my friends. I do like Cap, but I feel like I'm in the minority, I was certainly the only TeamCap among my friends that's for sure.

The title is still Captain America which implies that the story is focused on him, and even for those who like The Avengers, that could very well turn them off seeing this movie.

That would help explain the legs, I think. Die-Hard MCU fans showed up, then everyone went like "It's not an Avengers-movie purely, it's focused on cap" and people answered with "oh ok, well fuck that" :rolleyes:

Also hey :hi5:  . Not sure how long I will be back, still not a lot of time, not even to dirve to a cinema.

A lot of people here do not like spoilers, hence did not watch the trailers, either at all or not more than the first one. So I have no idea ho they marketed it here, but the people that were with me in the cinema didn't assume it will be an Averngers movie.

I think CA 3 is less happy all around than like e.g. Averngers, it has a Happy For Now endung, not a typical happy ending within the team. Might hinder the re-watch potential for some.

I liked the movie, thought it's even ballsy in parts, but still saw it only once. Mostly out of the -no-time factor, but the driends of my son... spoke out in that way. Rewatch per disc. maybe the dics sales will be higher? I thought CA 2's HV-sales were a bit lower than ususal, comments here were, they already did see it so often in the cinema!?

26 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Before opening weekend:

Marvel fan: "Can't wait for the new Avengers movie, Civil War!!!"

After seeing a 'disappointing' box office take:

Marvel fan: "Look, Civil War isn't even slightly an Avengers movie. It has never been marketed that way."

Strange, really strange. Might be a region thingy.

12 minutes ago, DAR said:

Some of my friends with kids the issue becomes more time than money.  They're shuffling their kids off to various activities that it doesn't always leave time for movies

Agree. Often kid 1 has a date or kid 2 (like birthday party, sports event, whatever) or the hole week was already more driving in the car than being at home... I have only one (adult) child, but:

I have a lot of nephews,... I was often enough their sole possibility to even see certain action included movies as a lot of mothers do not want to watch those. Then.

Some of those a pairs of siblings, till we found a common date... sometimes a certain movie was already out of the cinemas.

5 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Jesus, how big is your fucking family??? 44 tickets?? 10 popcorns?? 16 drinks??? :wtf:

$44 for the tickets...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It had IMAX. Everything else is correct. 

corrected, but i don't think Deadpool was filmed with IMAX cameras for any of it, so i don't know why anyone would watch it in that format.

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Do you think it's time to pass the baton?

I am fine if he does one more.

Spoiler

He has been very vocal about doing the Dark Phoenix storyline right. I think he will do that one and leave after that. 

• Like 1