baumer

Baumer's 50 most important films of all time (JFK 3, Earthlings 2.....FREE YOUR MIND! THE MATRIX NUMBER 1)

Number 27

Toy Story (1995)

Tim Allen, Tom Hanks, John Ratzenberger

Directed by John Lasseter

"To Infinity and Beyond!!"

latest?cb=20140816182710

Box Office:  191 million and 371 WW

Quick:  The birth of Pixar

Imdb Summary:  Toy Story is about the 'secret life of toys' when people are not around. When Buzz Lightyear, a space-ranger, takes Woody's place as Andy's favorite toy, Woody doesn't like the situation and gets into a fight with Buzz. Accidentaly Buzz falls out the window and Woody is accused by all the other toys of having killed him. He has to go out of the house to look for him so that they can both return to Andys room. But while on the outside they get into all kind of trouble while trying to get home.

Why it's important:  Toy Story was the first feature-length computer animated film ever made. It was an audacious attempt to change cinema, and it changed cinema more than anyone could have imagined, but the true genius in the film is its story. The story of a desire to be loved resonates with every target audience, making laugh adults laugh and cry as much as the children. The characterisation of the toys is pure brilliance, each character is unique and immediately identifiable with its own personal traits - just like an actual toy. Toy Story's appeal is timeless and will still be being revisited for decades to come.

Toy Story spurned two sequels that may actually be better than the first instalment. The sequels also mean that the first movie will keep being watched by new generations and therefore carry on increasing in popularity as time goes by. Toy Story should have been a one and done job. It was going to show off the brand new technology, but the film was going to be weak and be cast aside for completists only, but John Lasseter and his crew made sure that didn't happen. There are great jokes being fired at you throughout and the flawlessly drawn script transcends criticism, but most of all it has a great big heart that everyone can get involved in.

Why it's important to me:  It's given me years of stimulating conversation with the Pixar loonies.  You know the ones, "Pixar cures cancer." "Pixar donates all proceeds to poor children in Africa."  "Pixar is God."  I've never understood the appeal of Pixar.  Where the old Disney animated films like Lady and The Tramp and Cinderella had heart and a great story and laughs Pixar just feels cold and calculating and has seriously used some kind of MK Ultra shit to brainwash most of you.  So it's not important to me but I understand the importance of it to others.  Too bad you all can't snap out of your funk. 

• Like 6

Number 26

The Godfather (1972)

Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Talia Shire

Directed by Francis Ford Coppola

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse

godfather.jpg

Box office:  134.9 million

Quick:  Considered by many to be the best film ever made

Imdb Summary:  When the aging head of a famous crime family decides to transfer his position to one of his subalterns, a series of unfortunate events start happening to the family, and a war begins between all the well-known families leading to insolence, deportation, murder and revenge, and ends with the favorable successor being finally chosen.

Why it's important:  What can be said about The Godfather that hasn't been said before? It does everything and features everything. It raised the bar for movies and is frequently seen as one of the greatest movies of all time. It's a superpower of world cinema and even Stanley Kubrick thought it was a masterpiece. It looks at the Mafia from the inside - closely examining family, loyalty and corruption - and as a result gangster movies were made in a different way. The gangster genre is an old and popular one but Coppola's intimate examination of the Corleone family on such a large scale was evolutionary. Coppola creates a film of great emotional and psychological depth as you sympathise with characters you have no right to - the characters in the film are human beings rather than stereotypes.

Everything about the film has gone on to become iconic - the image of the Don in his chair, Marlon Brando's performance, Al Pacino, the climatic baptism scene and the death of Sonny to name just a few things. The Godfather became a staple in pop culture and many moments in the film have been parodied by everyone from Saturday Night Live to The Simpsons. The Godfather paints the Corleone family as a Royal family - with the large houses, sharp suits and lavish luxuries all on show - which is a large contrasts to many of the prior gangster movies which focussed on the lower, more dirty end of crime. It's been 41 years since it was first released and numerous restorations later, it is still loved by millions of all ages and in my opinion, the only film to top it is its sequel.

Why it's important to me:  Although it is not quite my tempo, I recognize that this is one of the most quotable movies in the history of film, that makes it at least important enough to mention here.  Here is my piece from the brainwashed thread:  

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/17425-baumersteleschas-25-films-that-have-brainwashed-people-into-mindless-adulation-tele-pg-26/?page=3

Yes, I said it.  Look.  I like the Godfather films.  But the way they are revered not just here but pretty much in every cinephile's mind, I was expecting something more.  The Godfather's both won best picture and remain the only first two films in a series to win best picture.  These films are quoted in magazines, books, other movies and they have even become part of our every day vernacular.  For a humourous take on the love for the films, watch the Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan film You've Got Mail.  Look, it's not that the Godfather 1 and 2 aren't good.  It's just that they have, for 40 years, been considered two of the very best films in the history of film.  And Francis Ford Coppola did one fantastic film after those two and the rest of his filmography ranges from ho hum to some absolute shit. 

The films are ranked number 2 and 3 on imdb's top 250.  They won 9 Oscars between them including a best supporting actor win for Robert DeNiro, who did his role entirely in Italian.  The Godfather adjusts to 638 million dollars in today's box office and WW, the three films would probably adjust to more than 1.5 billion.  Again, good films the first two are, but they are, imo, not the be all end all that so many brainwashed people make them out to be.  

Sure, we were all made an offer we couldn't refuse and we didn't get to sleep with the fishes.  And in this case, it's always good to keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

• Like 11

Number 25

Metropolis (1927)

Alfred Abel, Rudolph Klein

Directed by Fritz Lang

9k=

Box Office:  1.2 million

Quick:  Highly influential and somewhat prophetic

Imdb Summary:  The future. Metropolis is a wonderful city, high above the ground its towers stand. The people prosper, the economy is flourishing, the suspended streets are busy. But Metropolis also has a great secret, so hidden that not even Freder Fredersen, son of founder Joh Fredersen knows about it. He is spending his free time in the Eternal Gardens, when suddenly a woman shows up, with what looks like a class of children. They're from the City of Workers, in the depth, Freder learns. "These are your brothers", she tells the children, before she is forced to leave. Freder is so intrigued he follows them into the depth and doesn't like what he sees. The workers are exploited, they must do labor like robots. Freder tries to convince his father to change, while the woman tries to keep workers' morale high by predicting a man will stand up that will mediate. Someone that will use both hands and head, someone that will be the heart.

Why it's important:  Metropolis' humongous shadow peers over everything from Blade Runner to the work of David Fincher. It's a riveting watch and despite being made in 1927 is still up there with the greatest sci-fi movies of all time such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, Silent Running and Twelve Monkeys. Fritz Lang created something extraordinary and all of it without the perks of modern technology.

An epic sci-fi movie would have been unheard of in the 1920's and the directors' skill here cannot be overstated enough. Because of its age, not enough people have seen it and large portions of the film are lost because of the German censors. It was misunderstood at its time of release and even panned by HG Wells. Joseph Goebbles, on the other hand, loved it. Not just one of the greatest achievements of the silent era, one of the greatest cinematic achievements in history.

Why it's important to me:  I've never seen it but whenever I look into the history of film, whether it's watching documentaries or reading books and articles, this one comes up as the one film that influenced everything from The Matrix and Blade Runner to Alien and Star Trek.  Therefore it has to be on this list.

• Like 6

B, Ebert made an interesting comment about The Godfather several years ago to the tune of the generations who come after The Godfather will have no idea just how it changed movies and what an achievement it was. We are generations that have come after, so I guess he was right.

• Like 2

Number 24

Titanic (1997)

Leo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Bill Paxton

Directed by Iron Jimbo, Kal and James Cameron is God

"I'll never let go, Jack"

titanic-poster.jpg

Box office:  658 million and 2.1 billion WW (2nd of all time)

Quick:  The highest grossing film of all time, a record that lasted for 13 years

Imdb Summary:  This film is about a love triangle that happens on the Titanic. The Titanic, the ship of dreams, is also known as "The Unsinkable". Rose leaves her rich fiancé Caledon Hockley for this poor artist, Jack. However, the Titanic collides with an Iceberg and sinks on April 15th, 1912 at 2:20 in the morning. Surprisingly, Jack dies and Rose survives. Eighty-four years later, Rose tells the story about her life on Titanic to her grand daughter and friends and explains the first sight of Jack-how she fell in love and how they fought for survival.

The theme of the movie is that love is worth more than material things. Cameron uses real actors that some people believe is based on a true story. Written in 1912, the dialogue is appropriate for the time period. Located in the Atlantic Ocean, this movie was actually based on some real occurrences. The film's soundtrack made the movie more enjoyable, especially the song by Celine Dion "My Heart Will Go On".

Why it's important:  One of the most expensive movies ever made.  It went over budget.  It got delayed from summer to Christmas.  Some of the cast and crew hated working with Cameron, calling his a tyrant and a mean person.  It opened softly to 28 million and was prognosticated by most to finish with 150 million since it had good WOM. And yet the film just wouldn't die.  It stayed on top for 15 weeks in a row.  It had it's highest grossing day on Valentine's Day...some 50 days into its release.  Titanic defied all the odds and touched people in ways that no one dreamed possible.  The soundtrack was on top for months.  It was so popular that they had to make a second soundtrack and it too spent ample time at the top.  Here is a summation from Guru:

Near, far, wherever you are, chances are you have seen the box office behemoth Titanic at least once. On Thursday, August 27th, in its 252nd day of release, Titanic crossed the unbelievable mark of $600 million in domestic ticket sales. It took a full 36 weeks for the James Cameron action-romance to reach the never-before-reached box office level and Paramount Pictures, the film's domestic distributor, could not be happier.

Hitting $600 million caps off a historic run at the box office which nobody could have imagined. After opening at number one with $28.6M in December, Titanic amassed its first $100 million in just 12 days. One by one it leapt over each hurdle reaching its last milestone, the $500 million mark, while still at the top of the charts on March 26, its 98th day of release. Fueled by strong reviews, a beloved story, amazing action sequences, romantic music, hot young stars, eleven Oscars, and four Golden Globe Awards,Titanic destroyed everything in its path by spending a record 15 consecutive weekends at number one. In addition, the ocean disaster film spent a total of 20 weekends in the top five and 26 (half a year) in the top ten.

Paramount was not the only winner with Titanic though. Twentieth Century Fox, the original studio bankrolling the picture, retained international distribution rights and demolished records all across the globe. According to the studio, Titanic's current overseas cumulative total stands at $1,196,128,829. Add in Paramount's $600,038,488 from the United States and Canada, and the motion picture's total worldwide gross comes to a staggering $1,796,167,317. Fox's overseas figures include $184.6M from Japan, $127M in Germany, $126M in France, $113.6M in the United Kingdom, $69.1M in Brazil, $66.8M in Italy, $43.7M in Spain, $42.3M in China, and $38.6M in Australia. The studio released Titanic in 57 overseas markets and broke the all-time box office record in each and every one of them. If that wasn't enough, Titanic almost doubled the previous record for worldwide gross which was $913 million by Jurassic Park.

But Titanic was not satisfied with just box office records. The Oscar-winning soundtrack, with original music from composer James Horner, was a giant too. It spent 16 straight weeks as the best-selling album in the country and has reportedly shipped 25 million units around the world. This week, the motion picture's second soundtrack album, Back to Titanic, hit stores and should do brisk business as well.

With next week's release of Titanic on home video, the film's heart will go on to set new records again. The world's love affair with James Cameron's Titanic seems endless as millions of fans just can't seem to get enough of Jack and Rose. Relive the excitement of the film's opening by reading the Weekend Box Office column for the weekend of December 19-21, 1997. They said Titanic would sink, but the $200M film went on to do the impossible and gross nine times that amount in theatrical receipts proving that anything is possible at the box office.

Why it's important to me:  No movie, with the exception of ET, got inside me the way this one did.  It introduced me to emotions that were new to me, at least in terms of what I can experience from a movie.  The only other film I saw more in theaters was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, 13 times.  I saw Titanic 8 times.  And each time it felt fresh.  This is a film, that showed me that no matter the odds, if you believe in yourself, you can accomplish anything.  Cameron in a way, has no equal. He sees things that others don't and not only has he influenced me and so many other regular movie goers, but he has influenced so many film makers including Michael Bay.  Titanic is a landmark achievement in film and not only was it rewarded at the box office but it won a record tying 11 Oscars

• Like 12

1 hour ago, DAR said:

Toy Story made this that just may open a tiny crack for some Citizen Kane mist to enter in like Gary Oldman in Dracula

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

• Like 1

Number 23

Casablanca (1942)

Humphrey Bogart, Ingmar Bergman

Directed by Michael Curtiz

"Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine."

b70-1191

Box office:  2.8 million

Quick:  One of the greatest love stories ever told

Imdb summary:  In World War II Casablanca, Rick Blaine, exiled American and former freedom fighter, runs the most popular nightspot in town. The cynical lone wolf Blaine comes into the possession of two valuable letters of transit. When Nazi Major Strasser arrives in Casablanca, the sycophantic police Captain Renault does what he can to please him, including detaining a Czechoslovak underground leader Victor Laszlo. Much to Rick's surprise, Lazslo arrives with Ilsa, Rick's one time love. Rick is very bitter towards Ilsa, who ran out on him in Paris, but when he learns she had good reason to, they plan to run off together again using the letters of transit. Well, that was their original plan....

Why it's important:  No one making “Casablanca” thought they were making a great movie. It was simply another Warner Bros. release. It was an “A list” picture, to be sure (Bogart, Bergman and Paul Henreid were stars, and no better cast of supporting actors could have been assembled on the Warners lot than Peter Lorre, Sidney Greenstreet, Claude Rains and Dooley Wilson). But it was made on a tight budget and released with small expectations. Everyone involved in the film had been, and would be, in dozens of other films made under similar circumstances, and the greatness of “Casablanca” was largely the result of happy chance.

The screenplay was adapted from a play of no great consequence; memoirs tell of scraps of dialogue jotted down and rushed over to the set. What must have helped is that the characters were firmly established in the minds of the writers, and they were characters so close to the screen personas of the actors that it was hard to write dialogue in the wrong tone.

And yet, Seventy-four years on, Casablanca is still the greatest romance film of all time. It has everything - Humphrey Bogart's finest performance, one of the best screenplay's ever written, memorable dialogue and a beautiful theme song. It was by no means a revolutionary picture, it just elevated that successful formula to a new level. To talk about the great, iconic moments in Casablanca would take forever - there are so many - but the one that always stands out to me is when Rick sees Isla at his bar - Bogart acts the scene perfectly - his face full of confused emotion. Casablanca wasn't a maverick film like Citizen Kane but it is the perfect studio film and as important as Welles' masterpiece.

Casablanca has continued to grow in legend as more and more people have seen it - its timelessness perfected by a combination of love, humour, heroes and villains - even the hardest of souls have been broken down by Casablanca. Bogart and Bergman gained immortality with the film as it is truly theirs as the reunited then parting lovers who occupy the hearts of the millions who have watched the Hollywood classic. One of the most quoted movies of all time and an inspiration for every romantic drama since, one of the few films that truly lives up to its great hype.

Why it's important to me:  Not much relevance to me.  Saw it in film school and thought it was a good film.  I recognize the importance and relevance of it but it's not something I would consider to be iconic.

• Like 7

Number 22

Steamboat Willie (1928)

Walt Disney

Directed by Ub Iwerks

steamboat-willie.jpg

Box office:  Unknown

Quick:  Mickey Mouse

Imdb Summary:  Mickey is piloting a steamboat when Captain Pete comes to the bridge and throws him off. They stop to pick up cargo. Minnie just misses the boat and Mickey uses the crane to grab her. She drops her sheet music of "Turkey in the Straw" and a goat eats it. With help from Mickey, she cranks the goat's tail, and it plays the tune. Mickey accompanies on percussion and by torturing various animals, until Pete comes down and puts a stop to it, putting Mickey to work peeling potatoes. While this is the first sound Mickey Mouse, there's no dialog.

Why it's important:  It may have only been 8 minutes long, but Walt Disney's Steamboat Willie was a groundbreaking and innovative work. It is an early glimpse into Disney's ingenuity and the debut of the most well-known cartoon character of all time. To this day, Steamboat Willie is one of the greatest animated shorts of all time, standing the all-important test of time.

As sound had arrived to cinema by 1928, Steamboat Willie was loved by audiences who were astounded by the expert synchronisation of screen and music. It is a simplistic film and there is no real story of note, just a series of random happenings, but it works and is incredibly engaging to this day.

Why it's important to me:  I saw this as a kid.  I used to watch Saturday morning cartoons and every once in a while they'd show this.  At first I didn't like it all that much because it was all music and no words.  But the more I watched it the more I liked it.  Even at the age of 6 I knew that this must be a really really early version of Mickey Mouse.  And soon, me and my brother would hope that during the Saturday morning cartoons, they'd play this short 8 minute feature.  This is one of the monumental moments in animation history.  This is essentially the birth of Disney as we know it today. Think of Marvel and Lucas Film and Pixar and Pirate of the Caribbean and everything else, it all started with this little mouse.

• Like 9

Number 21

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

Louise Wolheim, Ben Alexander

Directed by Lewis Milestone

v1.bTsxMTI5MjYzODtqOzE3MDczOzIwNDg7OTU3O

Box office:  unknown

Quick:  Apocalypse Now and Saving Private Ryan, but a half a century before

Imdb Summary:  This is an English language film (made in America) adapted from a novel by German author Erich Maria Remarque. The film follows a group of German schoolboys, talked into enlisting at the beginning of World War 1 by their jingoistic teacher. The story is told entirely through the experiences of the young German recruits and highlights the tragedy of war through the eyes of individuals. As the boys witness death and mutilation all around them, any preconceptions about "the enemy" and the "rights and wrongs" of the conflict disappear, leaving them angry and bewildered. This is highlighted in the scene where Paul mortally wounds a French soldier and then weeps bitterly as he fights to save his life while trapped in a shell crater with the body. The film is not about heroism but about drudgery and futility and the gulf between the concept of war and the actuality.

Why it's important:  All Quiet on the Western Front portrays a harrowing and brutal examination of war not seen again until Apocalypse Now nearly fifty years later. One of the earliest true American classics, it annoyed the Nazi's who banned it, but was adopted by anti-war protesters and pacifists everywhere.

All Quiet on the Western Front ignores the patriotic pride theme prevalent in so many war movies, instead it focuses in on the inhumane hell ordinary men had to go through. The film is a masterclass in direction and Lewis Milestone was awarded the Best Director Award at the 3rd Academy Awards. The war classic is full of pained tragedy and is a gruelling watch at nearly two hours and twenty minutes, but it's gruelling in the way you want to feel after watching an effective war film.

Why it's important to me:  I only saw this once and it was with with grandfather, who served in World War II on the front lines.  He never told me or my grandmother or anyone for that matter all that he did, but did tell some stories.  He fought the Nazis, saw friends die and also killed.  That's all that I know.  When we watched this film together when I was around 12, he was very quiet during it and at the end, it looked like he was crying.  I don't know for sure if he was, but it looked like it.  I never did get to see Saving Private Ryan with him as he passed away much before that, but this film was something he and I shared together.  That makes it important to me.

• Like 8

Number 20

Singin in the Rain (1952)

Gene Kelly

Debbie Reynolds

singin-in-the-rain-poster.jpeg

Box office:  1.7 million

Quick:  The greatest musical ever made

Imdb Summary:  In 1927, Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont are a famous on-screen romantic pair. Lina, however, mistakes the on-screen romance for real love. Don has worked hard to get where he is today, with his former partner Cosmo. When Don and Lina's latest film is transformed into a musical, Don has the perfect voice for the songs. But Lina - well, even with the best efforts of a diction coach, they still decide to dub over her voice. Kathy Selden is brought in, an aspiring actress, and while she is working on the movie, Don falls in love with her. Will Kathy continue to "aspire", or will she get the break she deserves ?

Why it's important:  Singin' in the Rain is perhaps the most celebrated of all Hollywood musicals. It was one of the few not adapted from theatre and was all the more successful for it. Gene Kelly serves us an experience that is enchanting, enjoyable and features a great set of memorable songs. The film hilariously satirises the transition between silent movies and the talkies and the revolution of the industry in the late 20's. Singin' in the Rain is one of the very greatest films for using music and the music of the picture was immortalised during the infamous rape scene in A Clockwork Orange.

Still today, the movie remains fun and fresh, its originality unquestionable and it is one for pure movie lovers. It's a happy experience watching Singin' in the Rain - something that doesn't happen too often and is an underrated quality. The breathtaking song and dance numbers bring pleasure to the heart and it always, without fail, makes you smile. Kelly's masterpiece is a magical dream and is still the finest Hollywood musical and it more than lives up to its hype.

Why it's important to me:  I don't like musicals, for the most part, especially ones done by the Weinsteins. They never made any sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I love music; it's an important part of my life. I love movies also, and while the two often compliment each other, sometimes I'm repelled. It's probably the dancing. A person breaking into a complicated dance number, seemingly unaware of their surroundings, or worse yet, in complete synch with a complete stranger is like making fun of the movie, as if to say, "Please don't take us seriously, we like to sing and dance." Or even more ridiculous, "Let's not fight, let's settle this dispute with a song and dance." Forget about suspension of disbelief.

This film however, I manage to enjoy. I once was given the task of my film teacher to watch the film and keep track of all the cuts in the film. Well, sometime after ten minutes I lost track because I was so wrapped up in the story. It really is an interesting period in the history of cinema, told well, and with well placed song and dance numbers that at times drag on, but that seems to be more of an excuse to show off the technicolour than anything else. They build you up to it slowly. The first few numbers don't break out at an inappropriate time. It doesn't last though, but by then they've got you.

With such memorable tunes as these, it's hard to imagine them going wrong. When Gene Kelly sings the title piece, somehow time stands still as you're swept up in one of the most memorable scenes in film history. Just reading the title in print has likely caused you to hum a few bars, or sing a few words. Or maybe, just maybe, walk out without an umbrella when you know it's raining. One thing's for sure, if all Gene Kelly did was choreograph the dance numbers, he more than deserves the co-directing credit he has.

They simply don't make films like this anymore. Which in some ways is a testament to the film's theme and narrative. The business of show is constantly in a state of evolution. The narrative portrays a time period when silent films were being replaced by "talkies" with sound, yet the musical genre itself has almost all but disappeared with the exception of animated films with musical numbers, and rare live-action pieces.

One might speculate that Hollywood overdid the musical. Personally, I can't get into them. Most of the time it seems like a drawn out affair, but this film is something special. Considering my feelings about musicals, it would have to take a film of this one's caliber to make me sit up and take notice.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Chaz said:

B, Ebert made an interesting comment about The Godfather several years ago to the tune of the generations who come after The Godfather will have no idea just how it changed movies and what an achievement it was. We are generations that have come after, so I guess he was right.

Great post.  We have no idea, in some ways, what some films did to pave the way for others.

• Like 3

Casablanca resonated with me. I don't know why I don't know how but it did, and it's incredible.

It's all about the characters. All about them.

edit: And I usually dislike romance movies :thinking:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3

List so far:

50) Enter the Dragon

49) Sixth Sense

48) The Jazz Singer (1927)

47) Iron Man

46) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

45) Boyz N The Hood

44) A Streetcar Named Desire

43) Free Willy