baumer

Baumer's 50 most important films of all time (JFK 3, Earthlings 2.....FREE YOUR MIND! THE MATRIX NUMBER 1)

I've never heard of The Wizard of Oz and I don't like Star Wars all that much. None of those films will be on this list.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

The ZAZ type of spoof is its own unique thing: the whole concept of trying to pack as many jokes and gags into a scene as possible (without letup). I think it's a good choice. 

I grew up with Hot Shots! So it's my reference for this kind of concept but clearly Airplanes is a good choice and I guess it had to be a Leslie Nielsen movie for this list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

I've never heard of The Wizard of Oz and I don't like Star Wars all that much. None of those films will be on this list.

Considering HP already made the list of course SW won't be on it. No one in their right mind would consider that SW had a bigger cultural impact than HP. :P

• Like 1

I get the feeling that Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, North by Northwest, Space Odyssey, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, ET, and Jaws will be on the list...is it?  

Edited by HeyItsMoses

19 minutes ago, HeyItsMoses said:

I get the feeling that Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, North by Northwest, Space Odyssey, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, ET, and Jaws will be on the list...is it?  

NO SPOILERS!!! :WHATanabe:

• Like 1

Jaws will definitely make The list and Space Odyssey has already appeared. The others may or may not make the list.

• Like 1

I wonder how many important superhero movies make the list.

Superman the Movie was the first superhero blockbuster.

Batman 89 was one of the most hyped and heavily marketed superhero movies. Also proved dark superheroes could be huge.

Blade proved superhero movies could still be successful after Batman and Robin. Also showed there was a market for R rated superhero movies.

X-men was the first Marvel blockbuster.

Spider-man was the return of the superhero mega blockbuster and arguably the start of the golden age of superhero movies.

Batman Begins started the reboot craze.

Iron Man launched the biggest franchise in history (MCU).

TDK was the first oscar worthy superhero movie.

Avengers started the cinematic universe craze.

Deadpool totally revolutionized what a superhero movie could be, expanded the rules for marketing and the R rated content in a superhero movie

And I'm sure I'm missing a couple.

Edited by grey ghost

On 02/06/2016 at 10:17 PM, Baumer said:

Number 43

Free Willy (1993)

THE FIRST OF A FEW ANIMAL-CENTRIC FILMS THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO ME

Michael Madsen, Michael Ironside, Jason James Richter

Directed by Simon Wincer

"Nobody steals a whale"

k2-_a69bdbe0-8add-46d8-89f8-f5e7e03c4635

Box office:  77.7 million domestic, 153.7 WW

Quick synopsis: A young boy tries to fee a captive Orca from a water park.

Imdb Summary:  Fishermen separate a young orca whale (Willy) from his parents and he ends up in a fish bowl at a marina. Meanwhile, a street kid runs afoul of the law and gets caught vandalising the marina, but his social worker gets him off the hook (so to speak) provided he cleans up his mess at the marina. While there, he befriends the whale and teaches him tricks, something the trainer hasn't been able to do. But when Willy is a dud in front of the audience, the marina owner plans some bad things, and the boy and his friends must try to (*** MAJOR SPOILERS ***) free Willy.

Why it's important:  This isn't an important film to the masses, but it should be, so we'll just skip ahead to why it's important to me.

Why it's important to me:  Animal rights are a huge issue with me.  It's part of what defines me.  As some of you may know I wrote a book called Terrified and Defenseless.  It's about a vigilante who does to humans what they do to animals.  He punishes them for the cruelty towards those who cannot speak.  I am personally disgusted with how we treat animals and there will be a few films on this list that are very important to me.  This is the first of those films.  Free Willy is way ahead of it's time.  Just a couple of years ago, the documentary Blackfish came out and it indicted the entire water park industry for being the  blood sucking, draconian motherfuckers that they are.  This is an industry that supports the slaughter of dolphins and whales and then it steals the younger calves and sells them to the water parks.  These places not only destroy families, but then they imprison the whales and make them live in what would be a bathtub to them.  They make them perform tricks for their survival.  It's a horrible life and there's nothing natural about it.  These whales miss their families and they are cramped and treated like prisoners.  Free Will, a film that came out 23 years ago, like a film like Gorillas in the Mist, exposes the industry and people for what they are.  It's an incredibly moving film and one that imo should be shown to all families before they decide to slap down their $50.00 to go to water parks.  

This is an interesting choice. Free Willy was HUGE in Brazil and maybe the kids born after 2000 don't know much about, but everyone who lived in the 90's does. I've never seen this movie mentioned here in the forums before and for some reason I was never curious about how much it grossed. Just checked here on BOM and the numbers are pretty modest, ranked 11th in 1993, I really expected more. But then, this became popular here because it was showed on tv a gazillion times. After it left theaters, did it become a huge hit in North America on home video, television or something like that?

• Like 2

To the best of my knowledge Free Willy did not have any kind of impact in North America. Even when you read the comments about it people say it's a wonderful family film with a wonderful family message. People don't really get the true message of it. That message being that it's horribly stressful and terribly cruel to separate these whales from their families. So it's a feeling they had a huge impact on me but I don't really think it had a really big one our society at all whatsoever.

• Like 2