sfran43

Monday Numbers 5/24/16

4 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Where are these discount Tuesdays? There's jack shit around Nashville...

All theaters in Canada have them. Cinemark has them in the US: http://www.cinemark.com/discounts-discount-day

Regal is starting it at select theaters: http://www.regmovies.com/promotions/regal-value-days

Edwards Cerritos Stadium 10
ALL DAY Tuesday enjoy $6.10 tickets. Find Tickets and Showtimes!
Edwards Fairfield Stadium 16 & IMAX
ALL DAY Tuesday enjoy $6.10 tickets

So do the Alamo drafthouses:  Discount Tuesdays
General Admission to the Alamo Drafthouse on Tuesdays is $8 all day. 3D shows are $11.50. Beer special: $3 off local pints.

And some smaller chains: https://www.showcasecinemas.com/programs/bargain-tuesdays

If AMC jumps in, then Discount Tuesdays will almost become a national thing.

Predictions based on Monday numbers...

Captain America: Civil War

Tuesday: $3.04M (+0.6%)

THIRD WEEK TOTAL: $43.8M (-51.9%)

FOURTH WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $26.6M (-19.3%)

PROJECTED 10-WEEK TOTAL: $430M (2.4x)

The Angry Birds Movie

Tuesday: $2.61M (-6.43%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $48.3M

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $35.1M (-8.01%)

PROJECTED 54-DAY TOTAL: $171M (4.47x)

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

Tuesday: $2.32M (+8.85%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $29.7M

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $12.5M (-42.5%)

PROJECTED SEVEN-WEEK TOTAL: $70.3M (3.23x)

The Nice Guys

Tuesday: $1.18M (+5.69%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $15.5M

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $7.97M (-28.8%)

PROJECTED FIVE-WEEK TOTAL: $33.3M (2.97x)

Money Monster

Monday: $672k (+0.0104%)

SECOND WEEK TOTAL: $10M (-49.9%)

THIRD WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $4.2M (-40.1%)

PROJECTED FOUR-WEEK TOTAL: $39.2M (2.65x)

The Darkness

Monday: $161k (-11.8%)

SECOND WEEK TOTAL: $2.98M (-51.1%)

THIRD WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $916k (-59.7%)

PROJECTED SIX-WEEK TOTAL: $13.1M (2.65x)

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

There's no way Angry Birds will do a 4x.

Yeah, I believe that was an overcompensating reaction to it doing better than projected today. The further out you forecast a data point, the easier it is to get it to swing wide one way or the other, especially when you have so few actual data points to work with. It will stabilize over the next few days.

• Like 1

I have to chuckle at the fact My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is now making more than Batman v Superman in weekly grosses. It's kinda had an underappreciated run for such an unnecessary sequel that came more than a decade too late.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I have to chuckle at the fact My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is now making more than Batman v Superman in weekly grosses. It's kinda had an underappreciated run for such an unnecessary sequel that came more than a decade too late.

Miracles from Heaven (which opened a week earlier, no less) also beat BvS this past weekend. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

Looking at the top movies this year, it sure is top heavy.  Bunch of 300m films, but no 200 and only one 100m film.  It's either been boom or bust I guess. 

Looks like a trend

100m+  movies

2014   33

2015   29

2016   26?

YTD 100m+

2014   13

2015   10

2016     8

Memorial Weekend looks like a double humiliation for the Alice franchise. Jungle Book will pass the first to be the highest grossing Disney live action adaptation domestically, and the sequel may at best see an embarrassing drop from the opening of the first, at worst be DOA.

Memorial Weekend looks like a double humiliation for the Alice franchise. Jungle Book will pass the first to be the highest grossing Disney live action adaptation domestically, and the sequel may at best see an embarrassing drop from the opening of the first, at worst be DOA.

It will NOT be DOA, goddammit. If I learn how, I will today make a friggin' club how AIW2 will be over $700 WW.

No offense to you personally, just annoyed how most of the people here see AIW2 so negatively. And yes, perhaps for a reason ?

• Like 1

I'm sure Alice will do well WW....just domestically it will take a bit of a tumble.

And today there will be meltdowns when Civil War has a drop on Tuesday...but it's only because of the Canadian holiday on Monday.

10 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

Predictions based on Monday numbers...

Captain America: Civil War

Tuesday: $3.04M (+0.6%)

THIRD WEEK TOTAL: $43.8M (-51.9%)

FOURTH WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $26.6M (-19.3%)

PROJECTED 10-WEEK TOTAL: $430M (2.4x)

I don't know how are you calculating that Civil War will even make $430 million. This movie ain't making that much in 10, 15, or 20 weeks.

The movie is already $25.2 million behind (and counting) from Ultron. If the movie match Ultron from now on (and that's impossible since it's losing every single daily), movie will end at $433.7 million.

You expect movie to only lose $3.7 million the rest of the way?

5 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Damn, BVS is a punching bag for sure! Anything beats it. Even I could beat it. :)

Well, BvS has made $330m DOM and $870m WW. Not many films this year have beaten either of those totals. It's easy to forget that not beating Jurassic World or Iron Man 3 doesn't mean the movie was a flop. 

Edited by SteveJaros