CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

7 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Until we actually hear that someone else has been cast, I won't be completely convinced that Harry isn't the guy. There was talk yesterday of his manager following then unfollowing Disney Studios on Instagram and it's just odd to me that he has been the only name attached to the role, especially since it's clear that Disney wanted a big name. 

As for Marshall, he may not be some visionary director, but calling the man a hack is silly. He's good enough. 

No, both Hollywood reporter vs variety said he turned it down. Great news because he's not a great actor and he's just an ok singer.

• ...wtf 1

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why did they have to get Rob Marshall to direct this? He's a complete hack who's still working because he got lucky.

He has connections with Disney, is an easy guy to work with, and has a solid batting average at the box office. Why wouldn't Disney get him to work on this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superheavysun said:

No, both Hollywood reporter vs variety said he turned it down. Great news because he's not a great actor and he's just an ok singer.

I'm aware of what was reported. Harry was good in Dunkirk but lets be real, this role doesn't call for a great actor. Given that he actually is a very good singer with tons of charisma, I'm more likely to agree with those who think he is too good for this role than believing he isn't good enough. 

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

14 hours ago, superheavysun said:

I don't think one can judge his acting abilities just by "Dunkirk". He was good in it. He did everything the role needed him to do. OKish I think.

But what about an "ok singer"? Definitely not.

Have you seen his performance at the Graham Norton Show? He's terrific.

13 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm aware of what was reported. Harry was good in Dunkirk but lets be real, this role doesn't call for a great actor. Given that he actually is a very good singer with tons of charisma, I'm more likely to agree with those who think he is too good for this role than believing he isn't good enough. 

The role calls for good acting and he's not good. As for singing he's not bad but he's not great either. The point is Hollywood report  and Variety don't report something if it's not true. this is not rumor like the other sites. They are major trades, they don't mislead just so Disney can hide the casting. They have a rep on the line. He's not Eric and that's better for the film. We will look back and say thank god he passed on the role

Edited by superheavysun

10 minutes ago, superheavysun said:

The role calls for good acting and he's not good. As for singing he's not bad but he's not great either. The point is Hollywood report  and Variety don't report something if it's not true. this is not rumor like the other sites. They are major trades, they don't mislead just so Disney can hide the casting. They have a rep on the line. He's not Eric and that's better for the film. We will look back and say thank god he passed on the role

How do you know he's not good at acting and would be bad in the role?

2 hours ago, EliasChristensen said:

I don't think one can judge his acting abilities just by "Dunkirk".

Don't think you can judge anyone's acting abilities based on Dunkirk, really. Nolan is the real star of the movie and the actors are his pawns.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

LOL denial over Harry Styles turning down this fluff. He doesn't need it. he worked with Nolan. Zendaya doesn't need it. She works with Villeneuve. I respect artistic integrity. 

Also, for everyone who says Styles can't act or sing, Mouse obviously thought he could for they offered him the role. He turned it down. It isn't like he was never offered the role. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, superheavysun said:

Who is we? I like Harry, mostly because he is a talented musician who is more charming than any other young singer I can think of. He was a natural in Dunkirk, as Nolan said himself. We will see who ends up in this role but I certainly won't be saying thank god Harry passed. Lol 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LOL denial over Harry Styles turning down this fluff. He doesn't need it. he worked with Nolan. Zendaya doesn't need it. She works with Villeneuve. I respect artistic integrity. 

Also, for everyone who says Styles can't act or sing, Mouse obviously thought he could for they offered him the role. He turned it down. It isn't like he was never offered the role. 

Disney don't care if he can't act. Disney just think he has a fan base that will go see the film because of him. That's the only reason they wanted him. Hopefully not that he blessed us. Disney can cast a fresh face that can actually act and sing.

9 minutes ago, superheavysun said:

Disney don't care if he can't act. Disney just think he has a fan base that will go see the film because of him. That's the only reason they wanted him. Hopefully not that he blessed us. Disney can cast a fresh face that can actually act and sing.

His fanbase was certainly a factor but if that's all Disney cared about, they would have pursued Zayn Malik for Aladdin. He was a popular fancast with a huge fanbase. Fact is, Harry having a notable role in an Oscar-nominated Nolan movie gave him credibility as an actor, whether you think he was good or not. 

14 minutes ago, superheavysun said:

They already cast Halle Bailey. Putting an actual household name as a co-star/love interest is standard when the lead is little known.

37 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Did they seriously NOT even mention this project at D23???? No release date, no cast, no start date, not a single word about it???

Tomorrow is the anniversary for the original movie I think, they’ll probably say something 

• Like 1

All they need to do is have Hallie and Rob Marshall come out and announce a release date. They don't have to have the entire cast.

They must be waiting for the LM 30th anniversary panel. The Disney Studios panel emphasized SW and Marvel mostly.

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

All they need to do is have Hallie and Rob Marshall come out and announce a release date. They don't have to have the entire cast.

Exactly. 

And no, we don't know that they have the full cast in place except for Eric. There hasn't been any confirmation outside of Halle.