CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

15 minutes ago, joselowe said:

They’re currently doing that on YouTube and Twitter with reviews. Anyone who saw the advanced screening and have it good reviews the “go woke go broke crowd” are claiming that they were paid to write good reviews

george of the jungle laugh GIF

1 hour ago, Mickiland16 said:

That's something that I think people mostly forget on the Little Mermaid over/under $100M OW discussion. On reddit specially there is the argument that Aladdin was way more popular which I may understand but Aladdin was also supposed to be closer to BATB in popularity than Jungle Book or Maleficent as for Memorial Day releases but it didn't translate into the actual opening weekend gross...using Cinderella adjusted numbers as a comparison I wouldn't be shocked if Snow White also comes close next year (to Aladdin OW). 

I think its because BATB was a cinematic event for women and had Emma Watson in her first big role since HP

On home Video, the OG BATB and Aladdin made pretty much the same

They are going to end up liking it. Most of them have kids so they'll see the movie and find out that they actually like Ariel cause she is sweet, charming, funny, likable the opposite of smug, unlikable, angry "strong woman" sterotype that they dunk on. Normal audience is tried of that sterorype too so LM is going to make a big bank and then some. Likeable character = repeat business. It's no rocket science. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

21 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I find hard to believe 35 year old incels straight dudes would pay to watch TLM in the first place 

Those guys were probably the asshole kids on the playground who called all the boys who like princess movies "sissies".

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They are going to end up liking it. Most of them have kids so they'll see the movie and find out that they actually like Ariel cause she is sweet, charming, funny, likable the opposite of smug, unlikable, angry "strong woman" sterotype that they dunk on. Normal audience is tried of that sterorype too so LM is going to make a big bank and then some. Likeable character = repeat business. It's no rocket science. 

Like I said, the biggest factor for this movie is Ariel. And by every account so far, Hallie NAILED it and is going to be the world's sweetheart (or at least America's). Praise for McCarthy and Diggs are just icing on the cake.

In Aladdin, Smith was the draw and got the praise while the others were competent (except maybe Jafar). In this one, Bailey is the true star and it seems most of the others are more than just competent. It will get enough repeat viewings, especially in July when there's nothing left to see. Aladdin was still going strong in July.

Aladdin may have gone better at the box office upon release, but I truly think that TLM may have become more beloved over time.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, I Am Eric said:

Those guys were probably the asshole kids on the playground who called all the boys who like princess movies "sissies".

Not saying it's okay (it's not) but... wasn't this pretty much every single boy on the playground? Idk, I wasn't a kid all that long ago, and me and my sister liked watching Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus and I can't remember a single boy who didn't make fun of that.

33 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Not saying it's okay (it's not) but... wasn't this pretty much every single boy on the playground? Idk, I wasn't a kid all that long ago, and me and my sister liked watching Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus and I can't remember a single boy who didn't make fun of that.

shit taste,  barbie and the diamond castle is much superior 

in regards to the point above, from what I understand, real-life bullies and internet bullies (lets just call them that for now) are totally different kinds of people

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jedijake said:

Aladdin may have gone better at the box office upon release, but I truly think that TLM may have become more beloved over time.

Ariel has a chokehold on Millennial women

8 hours ago, I Am Eric said:

I'm pretty sure most of those bully kids grew up to be men who have discreet profiles on Grindr

Whoever made the call to racebend Ariel deserves a massive raise and a promotion, because it's turning out to be a stroke of genius The left will appreciate the diversity contribution, the right will throw their tantrums, and all this hubbub will intrigue the average Joe and potentially get them to give the movie a go on the basis of curiosity. As long as the actual movie is a crowdpleaser it should be a sweet investment for Disney. I wonder if/how the rest of Hollywood will respond.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Whoever made the call to racebend Ariel deserves a massive raise and a promotion, because it's turning out to be a stroke of genius The left will appreciate the diversity contribution, the right will throw their tantrums, and all this hubbub will intrigue the average Joe and potentially get them to give the movie a go on the basis of curiosity. As long as the actual movie is a crowdpleaser it should be a sweet investment for Disney. I wonder if/how the rest of Hollywood will respond.

Only in America. The rest of the world isn't interested in American (race) politics which is why Peele movies and BP franchise (when it tries to be overly political instead of a TLK-like soap opera) are never going to be big OS. But LM is a literal girl-meets-boy movie, not a political one, so casting won't matter. Will Smith is big OS cause his blockbusters are apolitical. LM should follow suit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Only in America. The rest of the world isn't interested in American (race) politics which is why Peele movies and BP franchise (when it tries to be overly political instead of a TLK-like soap opera) are never going to be big OS. But LM is a literal girl-meets-boy movie, not a political one, so casting won't matter. Will Smith is big OS cause his blockbusters are apolitical. LM should follow suit. 

Lmao. Black Panther 1 is very political.  Killmonger is way more political than Namor's single slavery flashback.

BP1 had the novelty factor during MCU"s peak and it was a better movie by far. That's the reason the hype manifested overseas also.

Black Panther Mask GIF by Marvel Studios

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Lmao. Black Panther 1 is very political.  Killmonger is way more political than Namor's single slavery flashback.

BP1 had the novelty factor during MCU"s peak and it was a better movie by far. That's the reason the hype manifested overseas also.

BP politics are overshadowed by the Hamlet/TLK drama of stolen throne. WF didn't have that so interest evaporated. Yes, BP was released before IW so that helped but the story was universal - a rightful heir (N'Jadaka) is cheated out of his kingdom when his nefarious uncle (T'Chaka) killed his father (N'Jobu) so he tries to get his legacy back. This is a TLK story and Thor story and Aquaman story and any telenovela and K drama story. It's universal. You can insert some politics but they are a side to soap opera. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

BP politics are overshadowed by the Hamlet/TLK drama of stolen throne. WF didn't have that so interest evaporated. Yes, BP was released before IW so that helped but the story was universal - a rightful heir (N'Jadaka) is cheated out of his kingdom when his nefarious uncle (T'Chaka) killed his father (N'Jobu) so he tries to get his legacy back. This is a TLK story and Thor story and Aquaman story and any telenovela and K drama story. It's universal. You can insert some politics but they are a side to soap opera. 

I don't think the Hamlet stuff overshadowed the politics at all.

The two co-existed just fine.

But Killmonger's Malcolm X rhetoric was clear from his opening line (in the museum) to his final line (about slaves who jumped in the ocean to avoid slavery). And throughout the movie the entire conflict was isolation vs black nationalism vs reconciliation/diplomacy.

The Lion King stuff was the story structure. The political motivations was the meat of the story. To say Black Panther wasn't political is ridiculous. It's one of the most politically charged superhero movies in history.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I don't think the Hamlet stuff overshadowed the politics at all.

The two co-existed just fine.

But Killmonger's Malcolm X rhetoric was clear from his opening line (in the museum) to his final line (about slaves who jumped in the ocean to avoid slavery). And throughout the movie the entire conflict was isolation vs black nationalism vs reconciliation/diplomacy.

The Lion King stuff was the story structure. The political motivations was the meat of the story. To say Black Panther wasn't political is ridiculous. It's one of the most politically charged superhero movies in history.

Only to Americans. For OS POV, motivation was revenge over father's death not activism. All his "activism" stemmed from revenge anyway, just like his father's "activism" stemmed from being disinherited and banished due to marrying an American woman. The movie is critical of isolationism but not to determent of an engaging story that's relatable and familiar to everyone around the world. Also, Killmonger's fional line went over non-American heads. 

OTOH, Namor trying to kill a teenager cause 500 years ago Columbus discovered America was cringe. As was Ramonda sassing European leaders at UN. There was no engaging story to offset that crap.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Is it really a thing that other countries would reject TLM because Ariel is black? I mean-is that really a consideration?

People seem to be convinced that East Asian countries don’t like movies with black leads, but I don’t know how accurate that is. I do know that the Black Panther movies were very domestic heavy, so there’s that. 

26 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Is it really a thing that other countries would reject TLM because Ariel is black? I mean-is that really a consideration?

No. It's an American thing. People go to see LM. That's what matters.

Edited by Valonqar

22 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Well you have movies like Nope that don't do well overseas for...reasons.