CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

7 hours ago, DAR said:

Imagine being that upset about a movie whose appeal is to little girls.

I disagee about that, lots of people who are not Little Girls liked the 1989 original.

But, yeah the whole fuss is ridiculous.

I am not seeing it because I just plain don't like these live action reamkes of classic animated films but that has nothing  to do with the whole "Woke" idiocy.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It's impossible to quantify how much white supremacy played a factor but are we really going to pretend anti-black racism is a non-issue outside the United States?

I'm not saying that it isn't an issue, but I'm pretty confident that with a leading lady who ticked some or all of the boxes that I have talked about in that post, the movie would be way more succesful overseas.

Let's pick Zendaya: she has well known acting talents (Euphoria is huge in many markets), is very popular worlwide and has some facial and physical  traits that conform to the beauty standards of many countries. I don't think that her skin colour would be a deal breaker.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

6 hours ago, Flopped said:

It's funny that people outside the US trash America as some racist hotzone, but having lived in various European countries, no amount of racism in America comes close to the racism I've witnessed in Europe. And that's not even Asia or Latin America. 

I think it boils down to America's racist past being worse/more recent than some of these other places. Because of that, modern day racism feels worse here than in Europe or Asia. It's perception more than reality. Although, without knowing much about the way it is in Europe or Asia, I tend to think it must be worse here. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Astonished 1

42 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I think it boils down to America's racist past being worse/more recent than some of these other places. Because of that, modern day racism feels worse here than in Europe or Asia. It's perception more than reality. Although, without knowing much about the way it is in Europe or Asia, I tend to think it must be worse here. 

More recent, probablly accurate. Worse, no. Slavery has existed for 99% of human history.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

More recent, probablly accurate. Worse, no. Slavery has existed for 99% of human history.

Yeah but the Atlantic Slave Trade was powered by and reinforced with bone deep white supremacy which had a legacy that lasted well into the 20th century.

That stuff doesn't just go away after a couple generations. In parts of the country the confederate flag is more popular than the US flag.

11 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

However, slavery being associated to dark skin color is mainly for European/American countries.

Other countries have slavery too, but there wasn't an association with dark skin. For example: In Asian countries, the slaves tended to be people from other Asian countries

Just now, cookieleeann said:

All of this negative discourse(culture war talk) around this film...just imagine when Disney finally decides to do Pocahontas...or will they?

Disney will never touch Pocahontas lol

12 minutes ago, Prince Eric said:

Moderation

Annnnnnnnnnd we're done with this conversation. Thank you.

hahaha

hope the weekend thread is allowed to be as funny as this 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

12 minutes ago, cookieleeann said:

All of this negative discourse(culture war talk) around this film...just imagine when Disney finally decides to do Pocahontas...or will they?

No way Disney does Pocahontas...LOLOLOL.

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

Audience score already up to 88 from 81. Thank god for verified scores.

Do you know how to leave a verified review? I have an account on RT, but I also have my digital ticket stub from AMC

Is it really that international markets are turning on this film because they are all racist demons who hate black people? Or is it that they just aren't interested in remakes anymore and this is just one too many?

• Like 1

I've never looked into how audience scores work. With critics, there are actual scores. Are there a number of stars needed for an audience review to be positive? Or does it count the total number of stars given out of the total number possible (5 per review)?

56 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

Dang that was quick. RT working over time to filter out the trolls.

It's pretty easy to filter out the trolls, since RT Audience Score for movies only allows people who buy a ticket to write a review.

Most people who buy a ticket are interested in the movie at some level. In itself, RT Audience Score will tend to positive due to this reason.

I've understood Rotten Tomatos started to apply this method after the review bombing in The Last Jedi.

Edited by Kon

I wonder if some critics purposely waited until just before or right around release to drop their reviews. It's gone down a bit while the verified audience is still at 92% with over 100 reviews. Still early though.

@KonI think it was after Captain Marvel. 

Edited by jedijake