CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

From Deadline

Even though Disney has Imax, a format that any studio would envy in their theater count, it’s not a format particularly meant for a PG movie geared toward little girls. It comes as no surprise to hear that PLFs are doing more business for X-Men, a comic book movie.

1 hour ago, angeldelmito said:

oh snap so apocalypse actually has a chance of having a bigger OW than DOFP !!

200.gif

I just saw it and I really liked it. I think the comic book movie genre is just over the heads of a sizable percentage of critics.  They don't seem to get it that CBMs are SUPPOSED to be CBMs.  It isn't a flaw it's a feature.

I don't know what box office will be although I am still predicting around 90M OW.  But I think a bunch of the reviewers were flat out wrong.  Glad I didn't listen to them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

Wait WHAT THE FUCK. X-Men is just now getting released in the States? 

I have been passing by billboards with Storm and Jean Grey/Cyclops on them on the way to work every day with May 27 at the bottom so I would hope so.

Speaking of which, we're off to see X-Men. Bye bye.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-johnny-depps-alice-897850

Bryan Singer's X-Men: Apocalypse is quickly mutating into a crowd pleaser at the U.S. box office, where the Fox tentpole is on course to gross $90 million-plus over the long Memorial Day weekend, according to early Friday returns.

The holiday forecast is grim, however, for Disney's Alice Through the Looking Glass. The sequel, skewered by critics, may not open to much more than $40 million domestically — 65 percent behind director Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, which opened to a stunning $116 million in spring 2010.

In a public relations nightmare for Alice 2 star Johnny Depp, Through the Looking Glass began playing in theaters just as the actor's wife, Amber Heard, was granted a restraining order after alleging Depp previously assaulted her. Earlier this week, Heard filed for divorce.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chaz said:

? I saw DOFP at 7 pm.

I think you are the third person on this thread who has said that.  Others are sure you all are wrong though, because some magazine has a line in it about DOFP having 'previews at 10'.  Whatever.  If someone wants to see a preview, imho they will see a preview, at 7 or 10.

I have a message in to a friend to see if she wants to go see it with me again tomorrow.  I am positively hyped given the disparity between my experience and what the reviews say. 

I'm not saying it will be the best movie anyone ever saw, but I thought it was a lot of fun, and I really like the characters.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

Weekend forecast for returning films (I'm not the least bit confident in my predictions for the new releases), based on Thursday numbers...

The Angry Birds Movie

Friday: $7.71M (+290%)

Saturday: $12M (+55.6%)

Sunday: $8.25M (-31.2%)

Monday: $2.32M (-71.9%)

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $30.3M (-20.7%)

PROJECTED 54-DAY TOTAL: $167M (4.38x)

Captain America: Civil War

Friday: $4.52M (+118%)

Saturday: $6.05M (+34%)

Sunday: $5.7M (-5.85%)

Monday: $4.63M (-18.7%)

FOURTH WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $20.9M (-36.5%)

PROJECTED EIGHT-WEEK TOTAL: $404M (2.25x)

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

Friday: $2.62M (+87.4%)

Saturday: $3.36M (+28.5%)

Sunday: $2.53M (-24.9%)

Monday: $1.16M (-54.3%)

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $9.66M (-55.6%)

PROJECTED FOUR-WEEK TOTAL: $52.3M (2.4x)

The Nice Guys

Friday: $1.72M (+110%)

Saturday: $2.35M (+36.3%)

Sunday: $1.69M (-28.1%)

Monday: $841k (-50.1%)

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $6.59M (-41.2%)

PROJECTED FOUR-WEEK TOTAL: $33.2M (2.97x)

Money Monster

Friday: $1.43M (+167%)

Saturday: $1.8M (+26.3%)

Sunday: $1.3M (-28%)

Monday: $625k (-51.8%)

THIRD WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $5.15M (-26.6%)

PROJECTED FOUR-WEEK TOTAL: $39.9M (2.7x)

The Darkness

Friday: $183k (+29.9%)

Saturday: $221k (+20.9%)

Sunday: $197k (-10.7%)

Monday: $147k (-25.4%)

THIRD WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $748k (-67.1%)

PROJECTED THREE-WEEK TOTAL: $10.1M (2.05x)

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

The real reason Alice is bombing is due to the lack of the Futterwacken

The ONLY positive about my Alice experience was the dead silence that scene was met with from the sold-out crowd. It was a collective "what the fuck is happening?"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

For the 2nd year in a row Disney dumps a big-budget movie on Memorial Day weekend with minimal advertising.

After what happened with Tomorrowland (which had better reviews) I am not surprised at all that Alice 2 is flopping so hard.

They also released Prince of Persia on Memorial Day weekend as well. Should probably stay away from this weekend for now on.

By the way, if you see XA at Arclight, they have a follow up piece on the making of the movie, or at least they did at the Arclight I went to.  Beyond that, the Bourne trailer was more interesting than I expected, and, sadly, the Tarzan trailer did not look as good as I had hoped.  (I think they did the Apes badly, which, given how much they feature, is truly unfortunate.)  Haven't given up on it yet. 

I do wonder if ARCLIGHT has issues with the summer slate, though, since they announced in theater that they will be showing Jurrasic Park in June, and a bunch of other old block busters over the summer.   https://www.arclightcinemas.com/en/locations/los-angeles/sherman-oaks/showtimes/?ItemId={4D3EE2D0-2337-4C56-A103-B5CA6FB924D9}

Maybe it's just a thing they do that I never noticed before.

• Like 1