La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Interesting that only 47 movies opened in May.  That's almost 30% fewer than last year.

And that makes that low avg even more shocking.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's still "in the works". Won't be surprised if it never sees the light of day though. Earliest it can release is 2018, 5 years after the first, by which time only the internet fans will care.

Kinda of like Avatar then is what you're saying. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Let's look at how much movies could make this month:

Finding Dory: 250M 

The Conjuring: 120M

Central Intelligence: 100M

Independence Day: 90M

X-Men: 70M

TMNT: 65M

Me Before You: 50M

Now You See Me: 45M

Warcraft: 40M

Angry Birds: 35M

Alice: 30M

Cap: 25M

Free State of Jones: 20M

Jungle Book: 15M

This June should cross 1B

DOFP fell 64% from the 3-day. I would be surprised if APOC did better than that considering it's a sequel to DOFP with lesser WOM and had a worse preview ratio (8.2/65.7 vs 8.1/90.8). Still predicting closer to 21m(-68%) than 26m(-60%).

Edited by a2knet

Civil War sold more than half the tickets in May at around 53%.   Crazy.

2016 is still up on than the last few years because of three $300m+ movies in the Spring and the Star Wars end run.

Year Gross* 2016
% change
% change
% change
% change
% change
% change
2016 $4,486.9 - +3.3% +6.1% +9.0% +2.3% +13.8%
2015 $4,341.5 -3.2% - +2.7% +5.4% -1.0% +10.1%
2014 $4,228.3 -5.8% -2.6% - +2.7% -3.6% +7.2%
2013 $4,117.5 -8.2% -5.2% -2.6% - -6.1% +4.4%
2012 $4,384.9 -2.3% +1.0% +3.7% +6.5% - +11.2%
2011 $3,943.0 -12.1% -9.2% -6.7% -4.2% -10.1% -

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

June is gonna drop even harder than May compared to last year. July should improve though - Pets, Ghostbusters, Ice Age, Star Trek and Bourne is significantly stronger than Minions/Ant-Man/Mission Impossible. August will be a giant leap upwards, September, October and November should be stable, and December will decrease but only because of TFA's gargantuan success.

1 minute ago, Treecraft said:

June is gonna drop even harder than May compared to last year. July should improve though - Pets, Ghostbusters, Ice Age, Star Trek and Bourne is significantly stronger than Minions/Ant-Man/Mission Impossible. August will be a giant leap upwards, September, October and November should be stable, and December will decrease but only because of TFA's gargantuan success.

September can probably be the highest September on record. Magnificent Seven and Storks are guaranteed hits, Deepwater Horizon should do well, and Sully is a wildcard

Edited by WrathOfHan

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The opposite actually, the Internet fans don't care about Avatar, the GA is a different proposition.

No one I know at either of my two jobs or "real world" contacts ever mentions Avatar. It's a "has been" film and will fight hard to make people outside the OW care. The novelty is gone. MCU dominates and Star Wars is back. It's an intangible but neither of us can prove the GA attitude right now, I just disagree with your perception of it. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I don't see a Jurassic World, San Andreas or Inside Out style breakout coming up in June. Last year also had Spy, Insidious 3 and Ted 2 (it did make 81M) providing good support as well. June will almost surely be down from 2015 as well.

July, I think can match 2015, unless everything continues the bombathon.

I agree with you on that, but June will have at least 3 strong performers, which is way better than May's 1.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

September is going to be up a lot from last year. Magnificent Seven and Storks are guaranteed hits, Deepwater Horizon should do well, and Sully is a wildcard

How is The Magnificent Seven a "guaranteed hit"? It's a western...

Storks should do OK, I forgot about Sully oops. Don't see any reason why Deepwater Horizon should do well. It's not got anything going for it, and has several things against it (sea-disaster movies, public hostility towards the events)

• Like 2

Just now, Treecraft said:

Storks should do OK, I forgot about Sully oops. Don't see any reason why Deepwater Horizon should do well. It's not got anything going for it, and has several things against it (sea-disaster movies, public hostility towards the events)

Magnificent Seven has Denzel, probably the most consistent movie star ever. 100M domestic is pretty much a given, and Pratt and Co might push it higher. Storks will probably do Cloudy 2 numbers. Sully is a wildcard for sure, Eastwood+Hanks+a very likable real life All-American protagonist will definitely help it. I can see Deepwater Horizon going either way for the same reasons you mentioned. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

OH FFS

I find the whole character annoying to begin with, in the movie there's this whole scene about how she can only inspire people when she gets naked. she is a ridiculous character, that poster / marketing is just the cherry on top.

2 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

Denzel_Washington__public_domain_.jpguKNbDYvm.jpgpizzolatto.jpg

(Ok maybe not the last one but the first two for sure)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Magnificent Seven has Denzel, probably the most consistent movie star ever. 100M domestic is pretty much a given, and Pratt and Co might push it higher. Storks will probably do Cloudy 2 numbers. Sully is a wildcard for sure, Eastwood+Hanks+a very likable real life All-American protagonist will definitely help it. I can see Deepwater Horizon going either way for the same reasons you mentioned. 

yeah Sully should do well. All Mag7 has is Denzel, he's obviously a solid draw but his movies mostly gross between 60 and 100 M. 

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

OH FFS

NOOOOOO. Please tell me we haven't become this sensitive. Wtf. And this apology actually makes her appear weaker - instead of treating her as a superhero fighting another superhero, she's being treated as a girl superhero who needs apologizing for. It it were two male superheroes, no one would have had a problem. 

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 10