La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

And we still have xXx 3, Trainspotting 2, and John Wick 2 among others coming out in 2017.

But its okay because we're getting super innovate new concepts like Monster Trucks

• Like 3

Here's my weekend forecast for returning movies. I'm not making a detailed prediction for the four new releases until after I see the Friday numbers. Weekend drops are from the Memorial four-day, so percentages will be high.

X-Men: Apocalypse

Friday: $7.11M (+99.4%)

Saturday: $9.95M (+40%)

Sunday: $7.72M (-22.4%)

SECOND WEEKEND TOTAL: $24.8M (-69%)

Alice Through the Looking Glass

Friday: $3.81M (+106%)

Saturday: $4.87M (+27.6%)

Sunday: $3.11M (-36.1%)

SECOND WEEKEND TOTAL: $11.8M (-64.8%)

The Angry Birds Movie

Friday: $2.6M (+83.8%)

Saturday: $4.86M (+87%)

Sunday: $3.27M (-32.8%)

THIRD WEEKEND TOTAL: $10.7M (-56.3%)

Captain America: Civil War

Friday: $2M (+78.6%)

Saturday: $4.56M (+128%)

Sunday: $2.06M (-54.8%)

FIFTH WEEKEND TOTAL: $8.62M (-56.9%)

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

Friday: $1.52M (+88.4%)

Saturday: $2.08M (+36.5%)

Sunday: $1.67M (-19.7%)

THIRD WEEKEND TOTAL: $5.27M (-53.9%)

The Nice Guys

Friday: $701k (+37.5%)

Saturday: $1.14M (+63.2%)

Sunday: $795k (-30.4%)

THIRD WEEKEND TOTAL: $2.64M (-68%)

Money Monster

Friday: $645k (+118%)

Saturday: $926k (-43.6%)

Sunday: $679k (-26.8%)

FOURTH WEEKEND TOTAL: $2.25M (-60%)

Edited by johnboy3434

Studios don't have a magic formula that tells them which sequels will do good money and which won't. We got two Taken sequels!!! And both did a lot of cash. 

If I were a Disney, Paramount, Universal or Lionsgate executive I would have also greenlighted Alice 2, TMNT2, Neighbors 2 and NYSM2.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Baumer said:

? Most schools do not go back at all in August or at least in the early part of August. And yet all schools are in right now. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but there's no way Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles opens up to 25 million or less.

I know that schools get back in session in early August in Georgia, my home state. And I know for a fact that tons of schools got out before Memorial day.

Edited by cannastop

Just now, department store basement said:

Are there any recent franchises whose quality was consistent over three or more installments other than Twilight and Expendables?

Harry Potter, if that counts as recent enough.

• Like 1

Are there any recent franchises whose quality was consistent over three or more installments other than Twilight and Expendables?

Mission Impossible has been a freakishly consistent franchise

• Like 1

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

I would say that most people would agree LotR, Hobbit and TDK are consistent over the three movies of each trilogy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Studios don't have a magic formula that tells them which sequels will do good money and which won't. We got two Taken sequels!!! And both did a lot of cash. 

If I were a Disney, Paramount, Universal or Lionsgate executive I would have also greenlighted Alice 2, TMNT2, Neighbors 2 and NYSM2.

Greenlighting Neighbors 2 was not a bad choice. The movie is not pricey, so Universal will make a healthy profit off of it.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I would say that most people would agree LotR, Hobbit and TDK are consistent over the three movies of each trilogy.

LotR certainly (though I didn't think of that as recent enough considering it's been 15 years since the first movie), TDK I can see, but Hobbit? Noooo. A lot of its fans hated BotFA.

A rare example of a series that got better as time went on. Most HP fans think the Chris Columbus movies are vastly inferior to the ones that came afterwards.

They're wrong.

Fast & Furious is another one like this.

They're wrong again

• Like 2

LotR certainly (though I didn't think of that as recent enough considering it's been 15 years since the first movie), TDK I can see, but Hobbit? Noooo. A lot of its fans hated BotFA.

Nah, I would say if you ask most GA would agree they are in the same range of quality and even most fans.