La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Studios don't have a magic formula that tells them which sequels will do good money and which won't. We got two Taken sequels!!! And both did a lot of cash. 

If I were a Disney, Paramount, Universal or Lionsgate executive I would have also greenlighted Alice 2, TMNT2, Neighbors 2 and NYSM2.

It depends on the amount of money  they spend making the sequel. Also the length of time between movies. 

Comedy sequels generally never do as well as the original films. So I would be careful which ones I choose to green light. Both Neighbors 2 and NYSM2 , will have huge drop offs so unless the budgets are minuscule, the studio is going to get very tiny profits. So in the end I don't think sequels were worth it.

A big blockbuster is different, in the case of Alice 2, they just waited too long. 

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The Copa America - South Americas big tournament. I'm going to the Brazil game tomorrow.

The Euros start next week. Both SouthAmerican and European box office will be hit hard till July.

Yeah

This year is the 100th anniversary of the tournament

The whole continent is represented from USA to Argentina (Go Panama!)

So yeah I think the latin america box office will be hit hard this month especially the weekends with big games 

56 minutes ago, CJohn said:

But Taken 2 is a midtier sequel as well. And it exploded. Same with Pitch Perfect. What you are talking about simply doesn't work like that. Alice 2 was a sequel to a MONSTER hit. Yet it also bombed. There is no magic formula.

Actually, maybe there is. The way I see things, the reason why most movies succeed is through the marketing and timing. After all, trailers and TV spots are a major influence on people saying "Oh, I wanna see that" or "Looks lame. I'll just wait for Netflix" Something like Taken 2 and Pitch Perfect 2 managed to succeed because they took the basic premise, but upped the stakes with larger budgets and a bigger scope, and they showed that through the advertising, making it not seem like the exact same movie with one minor difference. They also arrived about three years or so after the first movie, which meant that the movies were still relevant and fresh in the general public's minds.

Alice 2's marketing made it look like the first movie, but with Sacha Baron Cohen hamming it up. Not really a whole lot to get excited for, and that's not including how it had a six-year gap, that sweet spot where it isn't fresh in people's minds, nor nostalgic enough for the original viewers. Neighbors 2 was advertised as the same movie, but with sorority girls. Not really something fresh and a must-see, even with a two-year gap. TMNT 2 faced similar issues with Neighbors 2, as it really only had two new mutants to offer and again had marketing that gave it much differentiation from its predecessor. Ya see where I'm going with this?

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

E3 starts on Sunday, you ready?

Not this Sunday, tho. 

It starts on June 12 with EA and Bethesda and on June 13 Ubisoft, Microsoft and Sony will rise. 

1 minute ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I hope Elder Scrolls 6 is announced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a fiery dislike of the Elder Scrolls series. Even more so now that the Witcher has absolutely embarrassed Bethesda

@4815162342

• Like 1

I have a fiery dislike of the Elder Scrolls series. Even more so now that the Witcher has absolutely embarrassed Bethesda

@4815162342

Never played the witches but I love all the mods and freedom in elder scrolls. Are the fun side stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk