Neo

Smallfoot | 14 SEPTEMBER 2018 | Warner Animation | About a Yeti who believes humans are real. Written by John Requa and Glenn Ficarra. Sergio Pablos (“Despicable Me”) directing. Channing Tatum, Zendaya, and Gina Rodriguez

https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/smallfoot-review-1202948713/

Frankly, between “Storks” and “Smallfoot,” one is inclined to question the development process at a studio that turns simple, good-on-paper ideas into inelegant, needlessly complicated cartoons.

WAG really doesn't make good movies to me if they're not heavily, heavily parodying something or oozing with self-awareness (Lego, TTG). So this is about what I expected.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

The Hollywood Reporter review is a lot more positive:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/film-review-smallfoot-1145113

The reviews seem to suggests it's merely okay rather than terrible and that the comedy sequences are its strength. 

WAG's strength is comedy and I think perhaps they need to take a leaf from Illumination and do more a film that is more gag heavy.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 3

WAG will rebound with LEGO 2, SCOOB and Space Jam 2, but for now perhaps find a different original story and maybe focus a bit more on the physical comedy or do some adaptations which is what they do best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

WAG will rebound with LEGO 2, SCOOB and Space Jam 2, but for now perhaps find a different original story and maybe focus a bit more on the physical comedy or do some adaptations which is what they do best.

They don't have any original films for the time being in the pipeline, everything is either adaptations or based on WB IP. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Lego 2 will disapoint and Space Jam 2 will flop.

I can see the former (I have Lego 2 at $140M-$200M) but I’d bet that Space Jam 2 may not only eclipse $200M but could cross TLM numbers, maybe $300M even. Don’t underestimate nostalgia, it just has to be watchable and will do over $150M. If WAG steps up the marketing momentum like it did for TLM and LB, as well if Coogler gives his magic touch, it’ll explode.

Curious about thoughts on SCOOB.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I can see the former (I have Lego 2 at $140M-$200M) but I’d bet that Space Jam 2 may not only eclipse $200M but could cross TLM numbers, maybe $300M even. Don’t underestimate nostalgia, it just has to be watchable and will do over $150M. If WAG steps up the marketing momentum like it did for TLM and LB, as well if Coogler gives his magic touch, it’ll explode.

I don't know bro. Space Jam felt like the worst movie ever even to my 5-year-old eyes. I can't see how anyone may feel nostalgic about it but anyways. I don't even know what SCOOB is. Another Scooby Doo film. Should do decent but what's new?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Space Jam 2 will benefit from the fact that 2021 is the 25th anniversary but also WB's recent initiative with new Looney Tunes shorts which will make the characters relevant again. I wonder if WB might consider adding Hanna Barbera and MGM characters to the mix as well.

As for Scooby, I think it'll get a big push and probably they'll do the year of Scooby Doo in 2020 as the 50th anniversary is next year so I imagine we'll probably see the first trailer debut on the actual anniversary date itself. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

Based on the reviews so far it looks like another flop for the Warner Animation Group.

WB is usually #1 or #2 in the other hot genres (superhero, horror, sci-fi) but on the animation game it's falling behind Disney, Universal, Fox and even Sony.

Using their popular IP for animated franchises like Scooby Doo and Hannah Barbera is a smart move going into the future.

• Like 4