FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Without the bear rape controversy, The Revenant would have been a flop.

Because a two and a half hour meditative & violent revenge movie set in a remote snowy place with an almost silent Leo, drooling like crazy doesn't scream box office smash to me in any circumstances.

Before its release, I had The Revenant at 60m dom & 80-85m best case scenario.

I actually expected Revenant to do really well and then Concussion and H8 underperformed so I got really worried. I was relieved when it did well in its wide weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Paramount has four contenders this year: Arrival, Silence, Fences, and Allied. I'm not sure Allied can even make this year.

Then you add in Florence Foster Jenkins, which is guaranteed a Best Picture Comedy at the Golden Globes. It's funny, considering Paramount only had Big Short last year.

Yeah... bear rape and bear rape alone helped The Revenant to $180 million domestically. It totally wasn't an extremely widely-admired actor who picked up an Oscar for his performance.

I mean, DiCaprio or not, I'm still surprised that such a gonzo film made so much money (although the ad campaign did do a terrific job of selling the film), but it's hard to deny that DiCaprio's drawing power among mainstream and high-brow audiences and the deafening Best Actor buzz carried the film as far as it went.

• Like 7

I think we're going to start seeing stuff shift for the second half of November soon, Thanksgiving alone already has two movies that probably won't make it: Allied and Bad Santa. The former just wrapped filming and the latter has been in production since January yet we've heard or seen nothing. Fantastic Beasts is all alone on November 18 too, so something else like Rules Don't Apply should be moved there.

Edit: The Disappointments Room is also on the 18th, but that's going to bomb :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Maybe they're gonna move Collateral Beauty to 2017 and give Live By Night its slot. I mean, if the movie is high quality, no reason to let it sit in the can for a year if it's gonna be done in time.

According to early screenings Collateral Beauty is a dud, so something like this wouldn't surprise me.

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

Yeah... bear rape and bear rape alone helped The Revenant to $180 million domestically. It totally wasn't an extremely widely-admired actor who picked up an Oscar for his performance.

I mean, DiCaprio or not, I'm still surprised that such a gonzo film made so much money (although the ad campaign did do a terrific job of selling the film), but it's hard to deny that DiCaprio's drawing power among mainstream and high-brow audiences and the deafening Best Actor buzz carried the film as far as it went.

The film is spectacular somewhat (full of CGI tho like your average Marvel movie) but damn isn't it austere and so so self-serious to the point of parody.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think we're going to start seeing stuff shift for the second half of November soon, Thanksgiving alone already has two movies that probably won't make it: Allied and Bad Santa. The former just wrapped filming and the latter has been in production since January yet we've heard or seen nothing. Fantastic Beasts is all alone on November 18 too, so something else like Rules Don't Apply should be moved there.

Edit: The Disappointments Room is also on the 18th, but that's going to bomb :lol: 

I doubt anything released by Relativity (or whatever's left of them) will actually make its currently planned release date.