WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

11 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Who remembers anything from February. And im on the East Coast, what is San Francisco doing for me?

There was no consistency with the campaign. Nothing made this feel like weve waited and wanted for 20 long years.

Who the fuck wanted this movie? Obviously nobody. That's where your frustration should lie: the fact that no one wanted to see this movie.

The original was a product of its time. Nothing more.

• Like 2

Just now, Chaz said:

Who the fuck wanted this movie? Obviously nobody. That's where your frustration should lie: the fact that no one wanted to see this movie.

The original was a product of its time. Nothing more.

I wanted this movie.  Such a damn shame it turned out to be a piece of shit.

10 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

The argument that Finding Dory will have a "hard time" in the UK because Pets opened big is a fallacious one. That's been proven wrong time and time again, and we know that big well-received films can co-exist (all we have to do is look to last summer domestically with Inside Out, Jurassic World, and Minions -- Inside Out and Jurassic World co-existed beautifully, and Inside Out only dropped 40% against Minions huge $113 million opening weekend). Perhaps you know more about how the UK market behaves than I do; however, Finding Dory, from my knowledge, doesn't open until July 29th in the UK, so I'm not sure precisely what are you trying to argue.

What also confuses me is that in the same post you suggest the opposite logic domestically - that with Pets on the way, this will hurt Dory, rather than Dory's huge opening meaning Pets will have a hard time.

Certainly Dory's opening in France is very disappointing, but I would hesitate extrapolating that to other regions so readily. You don't mention, for example, that Dory is outdoing Nemo in most other comparable regions it has opened, such as Argentina, Australia, Russia, and obviously China. It has yet to open in Germany, Japan, UK, Mexico, etc, etc. It looks like most of it's biggest markets are in July.

So, I'm not sure that your overall argument holds up, from my perspective.

Peace,

Mike

Not just Pets, although it seems to be posed for at least 400m OS (funny thing is it might actually beat Dory). But then you have Ice Age, which will be way bigger than Dory OS. And both Pets and Ice Age open mostly everywhere in this June/July period. There are basically 3 huge tentpoles directed at exactly the same target demo. You can bet that in the battle between Ice Age and the other two OS there is really no battle. So that leaves you with which one, Pets or Dory, takes the harder hit. And Dory had no opening so far OS that were particularly impressive. 

Also, the combined advantages Dory will get from China, Australia and Russia were just made obsolete by that France opening. That is 40m+ lost in only one country and that is by giving Dory a very favorable multiplier against huge future competition. So yeah, I extrapolate using France and Spain because it massively failed to impress in both. Nemo made 53m in Germany. Let's see how it goes there (I am ready to bet a similar disaster to the one in France).

There were only 2 good sequences in ID:R:

-Goldblum saving the bus full of kids

-The scene where the alien ship sucks everything into the air

Everything else was fucking boring and not worth the price at all.  None of the characters were interesting, none of the actors gave a shit, just ugh. 

• Like 1

Just now, superweirdo87 said:

In retrospect, was it a good idea to hide the reviews from the media?

The embargo really wasn't that extreme. Reviews started dripping out around a week ago.  But they weren't very good so they weren't going to persuade anyone 

... Unless that's your point, in which case I don't think it made much difference 

18 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

People didn't go see The Nice Guys though. :unsure:

Hollywood needs to make more quality cartoons is probably what he meant to say. Quality dramas come and go at the limited-release theaters. Sing Street is the best movie I saw this year and its grand total is a little more than this weekend's Warcraft. Nice Guy's total was shattered by ID2's opening weekend. 

Keys o winning the critics: 1) do not offend, 2) strong aesthetic, 3) humor, 4) action, and 5) something cute. Hit all five for $$$$.

I think everyone here is spoiled by how well TFA, JW, MMFR, and Sponge out of Water did last year. Not to mention Vacation's moderate success, and Joe Dirt 2 becoming the biggest Crackle movie ever (just kidding on that last one). They've been convinced that nostalgia sequels will always do well now, when in fact they've always been hit-or-miss.

• Like 1