WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

With a $12.8m Friday - previews, this might squeak under $40m

Yeah, if it grows by 10% from 12.8m true Friday, 40m should be good.

Even with 41-42m it's looking at sub 110m I guess.

Edited by a2knet

59 minutes ago, DAR said:

I couldn't even make it through that movie.  Just terrible in every way

I don't hate it. The jokes are obviously forced to appeal to nostalgia but there's some genuinely funny moments (like the car button pushing scene).

Best part was shirtless Chris Hemsworth. I think he might actually find his niche in comedy roles after he stops being Thor. Let's see how Ghostbusters goes for him.

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think they'll need to start showing lots of Vader voiced by JEJ if it's going to contend against Dory

Oh trust me they will. I said this is the Rogue One thread but what would you think of having the film itself start out with a 10 minute chase sequence of Vader hunting down a Jedi. Advertise the crap out of that scene.

I think Rogue One will be o/u 500-525M. Curious how much past 500M Dory gets.

6 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

It would be a sub-40% 2nd-weekend drop minus previews. 

Less competition this July 4th (Eclipse/Grown Ups/Last Airbender/Knight and Day>>>>ID42/BFG/Purge 3/Tarzan/Shallows/Free State) should allow it to have a better 3rd-weekend hold than TS3, too. 

$51-53 million (a drop in the low-mid 30s) for the 3-day should happen since BFG is far weaker than Last Airbender/Eclipse (both combined for well over $100 million+ over the 4-day). A $65 million+ 4-day is looking more and more likely :huh:

$1.5 million 

$5.4 million

$7.3 million (+35%) 

$5.6 million (-25%) 

$19.8 million OW 

Also Dory doesn't have July 4 land on its weekend like TS3 did.

Sony is really looking smart right now. Most people questioned their decision to move The Shallows release date (myself included) but damn that was a good move. I feel like had it been released next weekend, those $7M projections would have happened because it would have been lost in the shuffle of the other three big releases. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

How long until the "action movies are dead" articles pop up like they did in 2005 (now that was a bad summer for the most part)?

They won't since Civil War was way way way bigger than Kingdom of Heaven (which really prompted the articles at that time if I remember correctly as it was the summer-starting tentpole).

Edited by department store basement

This is what I think happens:

IDR:

16.8M Friday

14.3M Saturday

10M Sunday

41.1M Weekend

Dory if it has a similar performance to Minions's second weekend:

23.2M Friday

32.5M Saturday

26M Sunday

81.7M Weekend

The Shallows:

6.9M Friday

7.6M Saturday

5.3M Sunday

19.8M Weekend

Jones if it follows Secret in Their Eyes:

2.7M Friday

3.1M Saturday

2M Sunday

7.8M Weekend

Central Intelligence:

5.7M Friday

8M Saturday

5.4M Sunday

19M Weekend 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

How long until the "action movies are dead" articles pop up like they did in 2005 (now that was a bad summer for the most part)?

This year it's the "sequels are dead" narrative. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

They won't since Civil War was way way way bigger than Kingdom of Heaven (which really prompted the articles at that time if I remember correctly as it was supposed to be the biggest tentpole).

It was the back-to-back failures of The Island and Stealth that really prompted those articles.

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

102m would be 1/3rd of ID1's 306m.

That's about what it will get with 41m x 2.5

Very disappointing.

You're giving it a 2.5 multiplier. It's not getting that. It's audience score sucks. This will fall under $100M domestically. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Sony is really looking smart right now. Most people questioned their decision to move The Shallows release date (myself included) but damn that was a good move. I feel like had it been released next weekend, those $7M projections would have happened because it would have been lost in the shuffle of the other three big releases. 

I don't think many were questioning their decision to move, because it was a good one based on theater counts it was going to be able to get, but more was that they moved because they wanted to compete with Independence Day.  

They moved because they could grab 2,900+ theaters this week and were likely to be closer to 2,000 theaters if they waited until next week.  

• Like 3

Just now, filmlover said:

It was the back-to-back failures of The Island and Stealth that really prompted those articles.

I completely forgot about Stealth.

Yeah I remember The Island's failure but it really wasn't publicized as much as Kingdom of Heaven's. Might be because KoH really killed Orlando's chances of becoming the next big action star while Ewan never really had a chance.