Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

LO trailer looks good...until they start explaining her backstory about how she was tortured or bullied or whatever and then it stops being scary. Why couldn't she have been a female Boogeyman, whose origin comes from legend and myth. 

2 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

The Purge has done a very good job of leveraging its premise into something that is fresh from a concept and marketing standpoint. The first one sold a killer (hehe) concept but failed on the execution. The second promised to show people what they wanted to see from the original movie and made it clear from the marketing. And the third one has taken advantage of the craziest election ever for a unique twist on the Purge concept. The Purge concept will eventually become stale, but for now each has been a success in marketing and differentiating itself from the previous film in the series.

27 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The Purge will be made REAL when Trump becomes President!

This is scarier than any horror movie!

So the crazy election year boosting The Purge?

Donald Trump making box office great again! :P

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

I wonder if people actually know how the box office works or how the movie industry works...I am thinking not based on the conversation I just had with someone who claims "Movies like The Conjuring, The Purge, and The Shallows are terrible films being made at the expense of better films with better roles for more diverse people." Like yes the combined budget of all 3 films at $67M, is the reason why we don't have all these films with better roles for more diverse people. Needless to say when I responded with that I was called a racist who only wants white people to rule Hollywood. Apparently using facts and stats doesn't matter anymore. Like what terrible examples to use to try and prove that point. 

A frustrating thing about legitimate issues like racism in Hollywood is people don't think about how easily their weak talking points can be picked apart before they make them, and it kills intelligent discourse on the subject before it can even begin

• Like 1

Another problem with that theory is that the horror genre is actually doing very well so far this Summer. Horror is not the problem with

The Horror genre has several advantages over other genres:

Horror movies usually have much cheaper budgets compared to other Hollywood films
Expensive and popular actors aren't needed
Bad or mixed reviews don't really hurt the Horror genre that much
They are commonly rated R, which help them stand out from the countless bland PG-13 movies out every year
If the first movie is a hit, they can released endless repackaged squeals VERY quickly

Edited by Mojoguy

Just now, tribefan695 said:

A frustrating thing about legitimate issues like racism in Hollywood is people don't think about how easily their weak talking points can be picked apart before they make them, and it kills intelligent discourse on the subject before it can even begin

Exactly. Like i think its a very valid point to be made and its obviously a reality, however, don't come at me with three horror type movies with mid to low budgets as your reasoning for it. Especially when those three films have done well at the BO. 

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Another problem with that theory is that the horror genre is actually doing very well so far this Summer. Horror is not the problem with Hollywood right now.

Yup. If anything the horror genre is the genre thats been doing consistently well this summer. Regardless I just don't see how the three films the person chose have anything to do with the legitimate argument that can be made in Hollywood

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

10CL had really kickass legs. A 2.9 multiplier is really unheard for that kind of movie.

It was a great film regardless of its genre so it's well deserved. I'll admit I thought it was going to be stupid but then I watched it and it was so good. 

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

10CL is so much better than The Shallows. And MEW is so much better than Blake Lively. 

I don't think anyone has stated anything about The Shallows being better than 10CL or anyone bringing up the actresses in the films and I don't think anyone would try to argue that The Shallows is better than 10CL, which has a legitimate shot at being nominated for Oscars, but okay. 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Too many people saying "solid" for the Purge Election Year.

Don't downplay it.

That's a fantastic number. 

It's a horror threequel and cost $10m. 

Too many people saying "solid" for the Purge and then also saying "solid" for Tarzan and The BFG. 

53 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

LO trailer looks good...until they start explaining her backstory about how she was tortured or bullied or whatever and then it stops being scary. Why couldn't she have been a female Boogeyman, whose origin comes from legend and myth. 

Just saw that it was starting out with a 100% on RT and was shocked. If it can stay fresh I'll probably check it out at the theatre.