WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

7 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Looking at their estimates for Frozen's Home Video, they enormously under predicted by ~ $230m domestic ($139m vs $370m+ according to The Numbers)

Noteworthy, Deadline doesn't even bother trying to asses merchandising profits anymore where many of these animated and SH films make mint.  Especially Frozen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Looking at their estimates for Frozen's Home Video, they enormously under predicted by ~ $230m domestic ($139m vs $370m+ according to The Numbers)

Noteworthy, Deadline doesn't even bother trying to asses merchandising profits anymore where many of these animated and SH films make mint.  Especially Frozen.

They don't account for marketing tie-ins either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Lol yeah. I don't blame them though, Frozen was an absolute beast on Home video (like with everything else actually).

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The article is from March 2014.  At the time, Frozen had sold roughly 130M$ on the HV market (1 week of sales).   As far as DM2 is concerned though, I don't know where they got their HV figures from. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They don't account for marketing tie-ins either.

They must since WW releasing expenses are estimated at $165m in their spread sheet while overall...

Universal Pictures is undertaking one of its biggest-ever marketing campaigns to promote “Minions,” an animated spinoff film about yellow creatures that’s poised to join the $1 billion box-office club. The studio has decorated theaters with giant Minions, put yellow labels on half a billion Chiquita bananas and joined with more companies than ever, including Amazon.com Inc., General Mills Inc., McDonald’s Corp., studio parent Comcast Corp. and Snapchat Inc. Partners alone have delivered $593 million in ads and promotions, Universal said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-10/-minions-593-million-publicity-spree-points-to-film-profit

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They must since WW releasing expenses are estimated at $165m in their spread sheet while overall...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-10/-minions-593-million-publicity-spree-points-to-film-profit

Not all of them though. Plenty of movies come out with the merchandising figures but we don't see them in the deadline reports.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

I wonder how Deadline is going to assess the profitability of Zootopia. Might hold up well compared to Frozen and Despicable Me, especially considering the lack of merchandise for Zootopia.

Seriously, no kids are going out on Halloween as Judy Hopps. And the characters aren't going to be on Chiquita bananas or tic-tacs like the Minions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James said:

This is making 800m minimum. I'm thinking it can go over 900m.

I'd be very happy if it happens, but am not able to assess the OS performance clearly so far. The only data we have is the 9 markets it opened it and did well in them. It will end up making around 60% of what Minions did in these 9 markets give or take.