WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Easy. If Pets crosses Zootopia domestically, don't you think that's going to cause some envious executives?

In any case, it's a good thing for the artform of animation if Pets does well.

I like competition, but Illumination tries to make money in a different way than Disney/Pixar, imo. Disney/Pixar doesn't flat out try to sell it's cuteness, maybe making money less-intentionally off of it. The sloth added 100 million plus in China, for example. That said, Disney/Pixar films are a bit deeper and are unafraid of presenting non-maximal cuteness. Universal is going to make bank the same way kitten videos attract views. I'd hate for the success of Pets to cause the wrong reaction out of Disney. I'd hate for cinema to become dueling Youtube adorable-cat videos in the future.

• Like 1

They probably should've released The BFG over the holidays (even though Star Wars and Sing probably would've still gotten more family attention). CGI Giant Mark Rylance was never gonna make it in the summer, especially with only decent but not outstanding reviews.

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

WTF

As much as it pains me to say this Chris....I got a creepy vibe from the look of BFG as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

As much as it pains me to say this Chris....I got a creepy vibe from the look of BFG as well.

Seriously, what the hell's the matter with you guys?

I hate to think of the reception E.T. would get today. 

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I like competition, but Illumination tries to make money in a different way than Disney/Pixar, imo. Disney/Pixar doesn't flat out try to sell it's cuteness, maybe making money less-intentionally off of it. The sloth added 100 million plus in China, for example. That said, Disney/Pixar films are a bit deeper and are unafraid of presenting non-maximal cuteness. Universal is going to make bank the same way kitten videos attract views. I'd hate for the success of Pets to cause the wrong reaction out of Disney. I'd hate for cinema to become dueling Youtube adorable-cat videos in the future.

Lol. Yes. Disney doesn't try to sell its cuteness? Come on dude. Disney is all about cute. And Minions are anything but cute. They are gremlins on banana crack.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

I for one am not surprised by The BFG's performance. It's Cannes reception was okay not great and coupled with trailers that just didn't seem interesting/didn't capture people's attention. Add in Dory and SLOP and it was bound to fail. Like who is going to take their kid to see a giant looking pedophile when they can take their kid to see the blue fish or a bunch of talking animals? 

That's like saying people take their kids to watch beastiality in King Kong :huh: 

• Like 1

Just now, Baumer said:

Lol. Yes. Disney doesn't try to sell its cuteness? Come on dude. Disney is all about cute. And Minions are anything but cute. They are gremlins on banana crack.

/screaming with laughter

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Not exactly having to do w/ pedophiles but I watched two movies in theaters yesterday in which the most interesting scene both featured

Reveal hidden contents

:jeb!:

5 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

To be fair, SLOP has a $75m budget, compared to Zoo's $150m budget and Inside Out's $175m budget... so SLOP is going to be more profitable than them matter what.

Partially, but remember Inside Out and Zootopia are now forever in Disney's massive merchandising, home video, and parks machine.  Their Box Office profits aren't where they make the real money, it's just exposure.

Just now, The Pandaren said:

Partially, but remember Inside Out and Zootopia are now forever in Disney's massive merchandising, home video, and parks machine.  Their Box Office profits aren't where they make the real money, it's just exposure.

Universal also has that stuff. They don't have Disney's back catalog, of course.

Btw, I felt the Neon Demon had some Isabelle-Allende vibes to it. House of the Spirits (1993) didn't go far enough, but had a pretty good cast of Streep, Close, Ryder, Banderas, and Irons. Time for a remake, but with less restraint than The Neon Demon.

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

^^ I dunno what to say, man. That seems utterly insane to me. 

(Edit: sorry, was meant to be a reply to Nova)

I know. Obviously I don't think anyone else sees that but that's what hit me when I see it. I don't know the Big Fucking Giant just freaks me out a bit. 

• Like 1