WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

Illumination has create an envious brand.

They don't have the burden of making classics or having photo-realistic rendering or 90%+ on RT.

It's sweet and simple colorful lively humor.

Would like to check if a lot more of their voice-work is done by comedians compared to other animations.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Rank the major animated movies from 2016 so far: Kung Fu Panda 3, Zootopia, Angry Birds, Finding Dory, and Secret Life of Pets.

Having actually seen them all:

1. Zootopia
  2. Finding Dory
  3. The Secret Life of Pets
  4. Kung Fu Panda 3
  5. Angry Birds
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

If SLOP follows Minions:

38.3M

32.3M

25.6M

96.2M Weekend

Don't u think Minions would be more front loaded due to it being somewhat of a prequel to DM?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blanks McCoy said:

Having actually seen them all:

1. Zootopia
  2. Finding Dory
  3. The Secret Life of Pets
  4. Kung Fu Panda 3
  5. Angry Birds

I'll sign off on this list. Although, I'm fine with 1 & w being interchangeable.

theres definitely a gap between 2 and 3 and a huge gap between 4 and 5.

13 hours ago, Jonwo said:

And it shows in the quality of the film as well. I think while not overspending on an animated film is a good thing but I do think you can take some risks in terms of story and characters. Illumination are lucky that all their films have had appealing concept but it falls short compared to a film from WDAS, Pixar, Ghilbi or Aardman where it is not just a series of gags and a shoestring plot. They need more films like Despicable Me and less films like Pets

I can't disagree more

Illumination entertainment is bringing serious competition to Disney animation/Pixar. Their movies are easily digestible and cute.

Is Central Intelligence Kevin Hart's best holding movie? That must be The Rock's contribution. 

The SHallows continues to hold on, looking like a 55-60m finish.

The BFG was dumped, Disney clearly didn't care sticking it between Dory and Pets.

The less said about IDR, the better.

Edited by babz06

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Really? What's so wrong with the first Despicable Me?

Despicable Me 1 is complete trash with generic characters, even more generic gags, and has just a general sense of blandness

The BFG is almost guaranteed to be Spielberg's first flop in a while. Bad release date and awful marketing combined for this result. Also, the movie looked like no one above the age of 5 would be interested in watching it.

Maybe Roald Dahl is box office poison, the biggest Dahl adaptation featured Depp and Burton at the height of their powers. Or maybe audiences have grown too cynical for Dahl.

Interesting article from Variety about Ghostbusters marketing

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ghostbusters-female-reboot-marketing-challenges-1201810847/

Early tracking indicates that “Ghostbusters” could open in the $40 million range domestically, making it the biggest debut for a live-action comedy since last year’s “Pitch Perfect 2.” But the Sony movie’s sizable budget — a studio source says the figure is $144 million after rebates, while another source puts the before-rebate number at around $180 million — means that it will need strong multiples to turn a profit. Director Paul Feig and McCarthy’s three previous summer collaborations (2011’s “Bridesmaids,” 2013’s “The Heat” and 2015’s “Spy”) had staying power at the multiplex beyond their opening weekends, but they were carried by stellar reviews. On the other hand, the reviews for “Ghostbusters” could be more mixed.

ago, executives at the studio seemed concerned that “Ghostbusters” wouldn’t sell enough tickets. According to a source in attendance at one meeting, a studio employee even floated the idea of marketing “Ghostbusters” — an action comedy — as a horror movie. That suggestion was promptly shot down by a senior-ranking Sony executive.

The posters and billboards have tried to maximize the excitement of the “Ghostbusters” world to a new generation. Sources say that director Feig has been disappointed by the reactions to early trailers, which don’t seem to have enough zingers. The director had criticized Universal for the first trailer of “Bridesmaids,” but the studio corrected with funnier spots for the 2011 comedy, which went on to gross $288 million worldwide.

The campaign behind “Ghostbusters” hasn’t been as clear. Last December, Sony released a series of black-and-white posters to kick off the movie’s launch. Weirdly enough, these prints featured partial chin shots of the new female ensemble along with their weapons. These promos, which were meant to create a sense of mystery about the new movie, actually made it hard to figure out the identity of the Ghostbusters — you couldn’t even see McCarthy’s hair or eyes in them.

Then there have been the odd tie-in advertising campaigns, which feature men instead of women and appear as if they’re promoting a completely different movie. A spot from Papa John’s pizza features owner John H. Schnatter wearing the Ghostbusters uniform. A NBA spot has Kobe Bryant suiting up. And a Progressive ad features yet another man as a Ghostbuster, going into battle against the company’s pitch woman Flo (who portrays a ghost). That’s led some to speculate that the studio — and its backers — have been shy to fully embrace the themes of girl power behind the new “Ghostbusters” (a la campaigns for “The Hungers Games” or “Twilight”).

• Like 2