grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

I would love to see Star Trek Beyond score a big opening weekend, but I feel like the ship sailed with the subdued reception to the previous film and J.J. Abrams's departure. I see it landing in about the mid-50s, and I fear even that may be a touch optimistic.

Rest of SLOP's run:

Jul 15: 47.1M (21M weekdays, 220.7M total)

Jul 22: 21.2M (9.6M weekdays, 251.5M total)

Jul 29: 12.7M (5.8M weekdays, 270M total)

Aug 5: 6.3M (2.6M weekdays, 278.9M total)

Aug 12: 2.5M (1M weekdays, 282.4M total)

Aug 19: 1.7M (1M weekdays, 285.1M total)

Final Total: 290M (2.78x)

If it stays on the low end of this weekend's estimates 300M is really going to depend on the July 29 drop. It's in store for another 50%+ drop next weekend because it has direct competition and it'll be losing a lot of 3D screens, Suicide Squad will hit everything hard, and Pete's Dragon should cause big drops for this and Ice Age. Uni can do some late run fudging with Kubo but it's going to come down to Jason Bourne. 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Was looking through box office records for comedy movies and saw that Meet the Fockers made 279M domestic. WHAT THE FOCK??? How did that movie break out that huge?

Up until DM2, it was Universal's highest grossing film since Jurassic Park.

Just now, Webslinger said:

I would love to see Star Trek Beyond score a big opening weekend, but I feel like the ship sailed with the subdued reception to the previous film and J.J. Abrams's departure. I see it landing in about the mid-50s, and I fear even that may be a touch optimistic.

Not happening, STID had as much goodwill built in as possible & we all remember how that turned out. It still could have decent legs I guess.

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

I think the marketing has been strong enough that it could still land in the $60M range, plus this looks more fun than the last one (even if Yelchin's tragic demise will make it difficult to not feel some level of deep sadness while watching it, especially since he apparently plays a rather large part in this one).

I'm not sure if WC is going to save the day here. Guessing this ends up around Fury Road or Tomorrowland still with 39 - 45 mil for the weekend.

Still predicting an A- or B+ cinemascore. There are people who absolutely love it, people pretty meh on it and people who viciously downright hated it...so pretty much just like any other of these franchise movies/or movies in general.

Seems like it is appealing to more women then men overall though. So that could help it's legs since Bad Moms looks pretty lame.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Was looking through box office records for comedy movies and saw that Meet the Fockers made 279M domestic. WHAT THE FOCK??? How did that movie break out that huge?

You haven't seen enough sequels with goodwill released during the holidays lately? Meet The Parents was a huge success clearly.

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

You're not alone buddy. You're not alone. 

Really? I think she's kind of hot still when she doesn't go overboard with the dressing like a dude thing.

She always has an indie type vibe about her and she looked great in Adventureland. 

2 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Ghostbusters has B+ Cinema Score.

Boom! Got it. :)

Edit: Oh it was announced earlier. Now I don't feel like I can tell the future anymore. But I did say that earlier this morning!

No matter the Flixster, I held to my beliefs.

Edited by somebody85

Meet the Fockers also benefitted enormously from a total lack of competition that holiday season (other than a rather dark special effects-heavy Jim Carrey comedy that had more emphasis on "dark" than "comedy").

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Just now, somebody85 said:

Really? I think she's kind of hot still when she doesn't go overboard with the dressing like a dude thing.

She always has an indie type vibe about her and she looked great in Adventureland. 

I'm referring to how she looks in that damn picture at the Cafe Society premiere for basing my decision. Both Cafe Society premieres actually. Otherwise I'd agree with you. 

• Like 1