CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Sure, he did it. After spending the whole movie in MoS questioning whether he should use his powers to save people. And then he spent all of BvS looking like saving people was making him miserable, he briefly ran away to the mountains to give Pa Kent some random cameo, before coming back.

Saving people didn't make him miserable, the aftereffects of him saving people did, part of the public opinion considered him a god (cult of personality), and the other part was easily manipulated into hating him by individuals who twisted facts to fit their agenda. He started to ask himself whether he was doing the right thing or not.

He ran to the mountains because tons of people died because of him and under his watch in the senate bombing, they died because of his carelessness and lack of attention.

I find the conflict fascinating and tbh realistic. Today's society has strong opinions about everything, be it informed or misinformed, they are quick to make judgments. I could see them reacting in the real world in a similar way that they do in the film if Superman actually existed, and Superman not knowing what to make of those vocal, diverging opinions.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

That was due to Pa Kent. A father's concern for his son. I don't see what the issue is, why people hate that aspect. Clark wanted to use his powers for good but Pa kept drilling him about the world not being ready yet.

Pa Kent felt his son should regularly let people die instead of saving them through his powers. And he told him this to his face! Putting aside the terrible guilt he's arbitrarily dumping on Clark, the movie pushed the "father's concern for his son" to such an extreme that Pa Kent comes across like some weird Randian uber-man. Hardly the decent and kind Kansas farmer he's supposed to be. 

In a microcosm, this is one of my general main issues with MOS (and Snyder) in general. He forces everything to such a black-and-white extreme that people cease to be characters and instead become a one-note symbol for one particular theme or aspect. 

• Like 8

There's a fresh review on RT for Suicide Squad that says: "There's much to like in Carré's impressive film." 

It's a review for a film titled Embers. Not trying to start anything but we all know what this means. 

13 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

I think you saw a different movie than I did.

The Superman arcs in MOS and BVS are really fascinating. You've got a character who starts off not knowing if he should tell the world about himself, and then when he does still finds that he doesn't really have anyone to talk to. He's in an incredibly isolating position, which would play hell with any mental state. There's a reasonably good argument that the story of these Superman films is about dealing with depression.

What's really kinda neat is if you look at the other comparable metas, we see that they've isolated themselves from the world. Perhaps they've realized, at least unconsciously, that they need someone who can understand them in order to actually be able to keep doing the hero thing. Flash's line of "I need... friends" is pretty revealing, there. Justice League, seems like it could be setting up that what superheroes need isn't a team to help them fight supervillainy, but a peer group.

Of course, what MOS hits a snag at is that Supes' character arc probably asks for a focused and personal climax, but the conventions of the genre need something more, ahem, earth-shattering. So that creates a dissonance.

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

HOW THE HELL DOES NINE LIVES HAVE 3% ON MT? 

Its rating went up from an abysmal 1.2/10 to a minuscule 1.8/10. 

I've been watching Nickelodeon for less than an hour (with Tele Jr) and I've seen multiple 9L spots. They're pushing it hard on the kids' channels.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

There's a fresh review on RT for Suicide Squad that says: "There's much to like in Carré's impressive film." 

It's a review for a film titled Embers. Not trying to start anything but we all know what this means. 

That (mixed up reviews for the wrong movies) happens every now and then.

• Like 1

Just now, Tele the Jet Baller said:

It was great. I really enjoyed seeing it in that format -- in fact, it probably added like a half-point to my overall grade.

So it brought it up from a 2.5 to a solid 3, right?

I kid, I kid. 

Or am I. :ph34r:

It was great. I really enjoyed seeing it in that format -- in fact, it probably added like a half-point to my overall grade.

I had a headache afterwards is all I know, and though it had a headache of a plot I don't think it was actually from that. 

I've been watching Nickelodeon for less than an hour (with Tele Jr) and I've seen multiple 9L spots. They're pushing it hard on the kids' channels.

Well that explains everything then. By the way even if you weren't watching Nickelodeon with Tele Jr, I wouldn't judge. We all need our Spongebob fix, every now and then. 

• Like 2

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

That was due to Pa Kent. A father's concern for his son. I don't see what the issue is, why people hate that aspect. Clark wanted to use his powers for good but Pa kept drilling him about the world not being ready yet.

Simple. He didn't embrace being Superman in BvS. Sure, he saved people. Sure, he put the costume on. But he looked miserable. It looked like a burden rather than his calling.

When taken as two movies together, people have a problem.

1 minute ago, Nova said:

So it brought it up from a 2.5 to a solid 3, right?

I kid, I kid. 

Or am I. :ph34r:

You're not far off. :lol: I graded it around a 6.5-7/10. Knock off a half-point or so, I suppose, without IMAX.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I had a headache afterwards is all I know, and though it had a headache of a plot I don't think it was actually from that. 

I should clarify I meant 2D IMAX with laser.

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Its at 65%. It's fine. Plus a lot of folks have already bought their tickets for today/had that T-mobile promo. 

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know how it compared to other films like it? For example BvS, Civil War, Deadpool...

It's bullshit WB didn't put the IMAX scenes on the Blu-Ray (and Disney with TFA for that matter). At least the 3D CW Blu-Ray will have the airport scene in its full glory.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Imagine all the ruined childhoods. Kevin Spacey is a monster.