CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

14 minutes ago, Finnick said:

A film with 175M budget + 150M on marketing like SS needs at least 900M to break even from theater incomes, because only 50% of theater incomes goes to the studio behind the movie stateside and 25% from other markets outside the US. Studios count on theater incomes + DVD/Digital/Rental incomes + Merchandise to have a mere 100M for a major blockbuster. It is not an easy business.

$150M marketing budget? What do they spend it on? How much caviar, champagnes, swanky penthouses & limo rides is that?

Edited by zackzack

10 minutes ago, Finnick said:

A film with 175M budget + 150M on marketing like SS needs at least 900M to break even from theater incomes, because only 50% of theater incomes goes to the studio behind the movie stateside and 25% from other markets outside the US. Studios count on theater incomes + DVD/Digital/Rental incomes + Merchandise to have a mere 100M for a major blockbuster. It is not an easy business.

It's more like 40% outside US. 25% is what China nets you. Yes, studios rely on other revenue streams, too.

To all the doom and gloomers, a lot less succesful movies with a similar budget than SS get sequels, so it's still somehow worth it. WB is gonna be more than fine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

It's more like 40% outside US. 25% is what China nets you. Yes, studios rely on other revenue streams, too.

To all the doom and gloomers, a lot less succesful movies with a similar budget than SS get sequels, so it's still somehow worth it. WB is gonna be more than fine.

WB will be fine, but I'm more worried about their next DC movies..they have gold in their hands and turn it into shit :/

I don't want Justice League to bomb, they just can't do that!

Thankfully I got a wonderful Civil War that made me happy, thanks Marvel :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Finnick said:

far far less than 900m WW needed using the 50% dom cut and 25% os cut you mentioned (movies get more than 25% os actually).

650 WW would be good enough a movie with that budget:

175 + 150 = 325 budget.

250 dom would give the studio 125 (50%)

400 os would give 100 (25%)

125 + 100 = 225

325-225 = 100

So 100 remaining from auxiliary revenue after 650 WW.

600-650 WW would suffice for SS to break even make a big profit with auxiliary revenue.

APOC is going to break even too. 180m budget + market budget and did 540 WW.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

WB will be fine, but I'm more worried about their next DC movies..they have gold in their hands and turn it into shit :/

Well, that's your opinion. I for one find the DCU much more interesting than the cookie cutter MCU.

The frontloadedness has less to do with WOM but the demographic audience makeup. It seems DC has less broad appeal. I'm sure WB would disagree, in the end, they exist to make money but not making movies for everyone is not neccessarily a bad thing. To the contrary.

Yeah we have fallen in the stage of denial...again .  Now people can't see where the marketing $$$ have gone ( for a movie that has been everywhere for quite some time) , the production budget is " 175 million$" ( all the reshoots were for free) , and WB is happy and will make many sequels to SS just like they were happy after MOS so they made what is essentially a batman movie with superman as a guest star instead of a true MOS sequel, just like WB are happy with BvS so they demoted its director , made huge changes in the suit persons that handle the DCCU and went into panic mode when it comes to SS .

Whatever , SS is a huge success that has made WB people dance with joy , a SS trilogy will be announced soon and I am out of here . 

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Well, that's your opinion. I for one find the DCU much more interesting than the cookie cutter MCU.

The frontloadedness has less to do with WOM but the demographic audience makeup. It seems DC has less broad appeal. I'm sure WB would disagree, in the end, they exist to make money but not making movies for everyone is not neccessarily a bad thing. To the contrary.

It's not "my" opinion but a widespread feeling, Rotten and the global BO show it in a clear way.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Summer Films RT Watch (Wide-Release — May/June/July/August)

1. Finding Dory - 94% - 7.7 rating
  2. The Nice Guys - 91% - 7.6 rating
  3. Captain America: Civil War - 90% - 7.6 rating
  4. Star Trek Beyond - 84% - 6.9 rating
  5. The Conjuring 2 - 80% - 6.7 rating
  6. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping - 77% - 6.7 rating
  7. The Shallows - 77% - 6.5 rating
  8. Lights Out - 76% - 6.3 rating
  9. Secret Life of Pets - 75% - 6.2 rating
  10. The BFG - 73% - 6.7 rating
  11. Ghostbusters - 73% - 6.5 rating
  12. The Infiltrator - 68% - 6.5 rating 
  13. Central Intelligence - 68% - 5.7 rating
  14. Bad Moms - 63% - 5.7 rating
  15. Neighbours 2: Sorority Rising - 62% - 5.7 rating
  16. Me Before You - 59% - 5.6 rating
  17. Jason Bourne - 57% - 5.9 rating
  18. Money Monster - 57% - 5.9 rating
  19. Nerve - 57% - 5.6 rating
  20. The Purge: Election Year - 54% - 5.3 rating
  21. X-Men: Apocalypse - 48% - 5.7 rating
  22. Free State of Jones - 43% - 5.4 rating
  23. Angry Birds Movie - 43% - 4.9 rating
  24. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - 39% - 5.0 rating
  25. TMNT: Out of the Shadows - 38% - 4.7 rating
  26. The Legend of Tarzan - 35% - 5.0 rating
  27. Now You See Me 2 - 34% - 4.9 rating
  28. Independence Day: Resurgence - 32% - 4.4 rating
  29. Alice Through the Looking Glass - 30% - 4.6 rating
  30. Warcraft - 29% - 4.2 rating
  31. Suicide Squad - 26% - 4.7 rating
  32. Ice Age: Collision Course - 12% - 3.9 rating
  33. The Darkness - 5% - 2.5 rating
  34. Nine Lives - 5% - 1.9 rating 

Most cases RT and legs more or less have aligned.

CW, TREK, TARZAN the biggest exceptions.

CI and MOMS also doing better than expected.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Finnick said:

You couldn't be more incorrect. 

Mods, can someone teach these people? 

No late Sat update from Deadline? Maybe they are in shock after 146+ headline on the front page.

Predictions before Thu previews (Prediction after Fri estimate in brackets),

pro.BO 133 (135)

BOM 145 (138)

GURU 128 (140)

the-numbers 125 (137)

GURU had it most accurate before the release. But after FRI estimate was released, pro.BO was good at estimating the front-loading.

Edited by a2knet

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

It's not "my" opinion but a widespread feeling, Rotten and the global BO show it in a clear way.

It is your opinion, irrespective of what others might say.

You mean, the BO that shows huge hype every time a DC movie opens? Or the good home video sales? There is and continues to be a strong appetite for the DCU. It just isn't as wide an audience than with some other properties.

I see that there are two good news at the box office:

1. Suicide Squad will break the August opening weekend record (previously held by Guardians of the Galaxy) with at least $120M

2. Bad Moms will have a great hold on its 2nd weekend ( I loved the movie and it was hilarious)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

+1

BvS Domestic multiplier 1.99

Overseas multiplier 2.1

Fact.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Based on the many Wonder Woman posts, I started to remember: wasn't Joss Whedon in the past considered/attatched as director for it? How the movie 'world' might look like, if he wouldn't have done Avengers, but WW instead?

It probably wouldn't  have done well.  None of the other female super heroes were doing good. 

18 minutes ago, jb007 said:

+1

BvS Domestic multiplier 1.99

Overseas multiplier 2.1

Fact.

CW had a DOM multi of 2,27. I guess WOM was only slightly better than BvS.

As for the OS multi, if we account for the fact that it had a more staggered release, it's multi seem to not have been any better than BvS'.

Not to mention that there are other factors that influence the multiplier...

Edited by Elessar