CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The forum's favorite movies of 2016 so far (with a reasonable amount of votes): 

1. Zootopia: A-/93 (43 votes)

2. Kung Fu Panda 3: A-/92 (9 votes)

3. Eye in the Sky: A-/90 (10 votes)

4. Popstar: A-/88 (10 votes)

5. Deadpool: A-/87 (46 votes)

6. The Conjuring 2: B+/86 (14 votes)

The Nice Guys: B+/86 (23 votes)

8. Captain America Civil War: B+/84 (86 votes)

The Jungle Book (43 votes)

10. Star Trek Beyond: B+/82 (31 votes)

Star trek? Civil War? Deadpool?

Man fuck us. We deserve it.

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

He didn't spend the whole movie questioning that, he saved the kids on the bus and he saved the oil tanker.. the only conflict was Pa Kent who out of love and understanding the way people react to things, was afraid that if people found out about clark, they'd want to kill him, view him as a threat. 

That's all there was to it. A father protecting his child.

I really love how all these MOS defenders are arguing the movie didn't have a character arc for Clark Kent.

It is because of his father that he questions whether he should save people or not.

Honestly, the point of MoS was Clark Kent choosing to be Superman. That's what the movie was about. 

• Like 1

These competition excuses make me laugh. SLOP is pulling $300M+, even though TWO other animated movies, plus another family movie (Jungle Book) have already done that this year. If people want to see it, they want to see it and they'll make the time. If they don't, they dont.

Competition obviously has an effect, but you guys are overstating it. SS is not going to grow magic legs from a "weak", nor will August's slates do much real "damage." Again from earlier: look at Dragon 2. People were expecting $300+ because of 1. the first goodwill, and 2. zero competition. Still didn't matter. 

The marketplace isnt that "pick and choose." If it was, studios wouldn't be marketing these movies, trying to differentiate and capture a certain audience.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
Just now, ChipMunky said:

I honestly don't even know what we're talking about anymore. MOS had a character arc. And that made it bad?

No. I actually like MOS. like I said, I have no idea why people are arguing with me.

• Like 1

No numbers?

Hopefully Suicide Squad picks up for the last shows (don't worry, it will). At my theatre for the first set of shows, Nine Lives beat every other movie, including Squad.

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

No numbers?

Hopefully Suicide Squad picks up for the last shows (don't worry, it will). At my theatre for the first set of shows, Nine Lives beat every other movie, including Squad.

You must live on Mars or something. Nine Lives should not be beating any movie. Whats so ever. 

Also its looking at 60-65M for Friday with previews. 

Edited by Nova

4 minutes ago, jandrew said:

These competition excuses make me laugh. SLOP is pulling $300M+, even though TWO other animated movies, plus another family movie (Jungle Book) have already done that this year. If people want to see it, they want to see it and they'll make the time. If they don't, they dont.

Competition obviously has an effect, but you guys are overstating it. SS is not going to grow magic legs from a "weak", nor will August's slates do much real "damage." Again from earlier: look at Dragon 2. People were expecting $300+ because of 1. the first goodwill, and 2. zero competition. Still didn't matter. 

The marketplace isnt that "pick and choose." If it was, studios wouldn't be marketing these movies, trying to differentiate and capture a certain audience.

I mostly agree, although I do think competition does have an effect. Low theater counts can kill mid to late legs.

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

No numbers?

Sounds like you have terrible theater-going audiences.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Man of Steel is unapologetically one of my favorite superhero movies

BvS wasn't all that good though (though it was somewhat doomed from the start I feel)

MoS is a solid movie. I think BvS would have been better if it hadn't basically repeated MoS' internal conflict for Kent. If we had seen him embrace being Superman rather than being miserable about it.

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

MOS is about Kal-El gaining faith in ever corrupt human society. 

It was also his father who made him doubt humanity. ;) Even so you boil that down to: should Kal El be Superman and save us?

It was an origin story. It had an origin story conflict.